How the heck much is that?!

Options
So my issue, especially when trying to log....is how much is an ounce? or gram? What does it look like? I do not have a food scale at home and im a visual person....soooo if some one could PLEASE help me out on this! I want to log honestly, consistently, and correctly! Thanks!

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    You really should just invest in a foodscale- it will help you learn what these portion sizes look like. They look different for every kind of food (because they all have different densities). I thinkyou can get one at Walmart for like 8$
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    If your referring to meat.. think the size of your palm or a deck of cards is about 3/4 oz. For the best accuracy I would recommend a food scale.. I got one at walmart for $10
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Seriously, in order to visually learn food amounts and portion sizes, I can't see how you'd do it with any precision without kitchen scales. I see the cheapest run for under $10, and even if they aren't precise, they'd be a good step forward)

You can learn to see correct quantities for the cutlery and food you usually have (1 TBSP of peanut butter = 16 g, 1/2 of an apple in the size I buy = 100 g, fill the wine glass until its widest part = 4 oz, 1 handful of almonds = 15 g [I have small hands]), but it takes practice and you DO need to be able to measure weights to do it.
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    from what i remember an ounce is like 4 dice, di whatever lol... uhmm 4oz. about hte size of your palm...? thats all i can remember... i want to get a scale soon...
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale and a measuring cup. Use them until you can estimate well.

Problem solved.

Remember when you were a kid and learning how big an inch was meant using a ruler to measure things until you got a good idea? Yea, well it's just like that.

Problem solved.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    it really depends on the food. for instance, a cup of pasta is usually 2 oz and half of a bonless skinless chicken breast is usually 3-4 oz. like others have said....its probably best to get a food scale, its a great investment but if you cant get one right now then do your best. 1/2 a cup is usually the serving size for "sides" and have a chicken breast is the normal 3-4 oz serving
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Once you get a scale just keep using it.

I use mine every day to weigh everything. The only way I truly know exactly what I'm eating, But then again I'm an accountant so pretty anal about numbers I guess.
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    scales are cheap at walmart or target. If you are lucky you could find one at Ross. I had to break down and buy one, and am so glad I did. There is no more guess work. I weigh everything now! It is kind of fun to see what an things weigh. I even weigh my baked potatoes! Pick one up you won't regret it!
  • marrtini
    marrtini Posts: 75
    Options
    So the controversy then... weigh before you cook it or after?
  • Hummmingbird
    Hummmingbird Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Nice!!! food scale it is and chessronin...no offense, but i could do with out the sarcasm

Thanks to everyone else!!!! :)
  • 40notFatty
    Options
    So the controversy then... weigh before you cook it or after?

I weigh before I cook, if it's any heavier after cooking its likely to be water which is calorie free :D, or if something is listed as a cooked portion (i.e cooked pasta) then I go by that.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    If your referring to meat.. think the size of your palm or a deck of cards is about 3/4 oz. For the best accuracy I would recommend a food scale.. I got one at walmart for $10

i know what you're saying, but it looks a little confusing to some people.
    that's 3 or 4 ounces not three quarters of an ounce