foodies: favorite cook book

Options
i want to buy my neighbor a gift. she loves to cook and has a good six dozen cookbooks that she displays (and several shelves of undisplayed). she is always hunting for a new cookbook, something unique. any recommendations? they live a south-beach-y-type lifestyle, so i know something in that vein would be appreciated. i know she has several of them and uses them frequently.

i was looking at getting her 'bistro cooking at home' by gordon hamersley or 'chez panisse vegetables' by alice l. water. anyone have them and love/hate them?

thanks for the help!

Replies

• s_waser
    s_waser Posts: 92
    Options
    Goosberry Patch I think is the name are cute and delicious cook books!!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    madhur jaffey's world of east indian cooking. very dependable recipes.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    ellie krieger's book are great.
  • mara232
    mara232 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Tosca Reno's cookbook or Jaimie Oliver's.
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I love cookbooks! I have nothing useful to add (sorry!) but I'm marking the thread so I can see it in my topics :smile:
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    thanks! keep 'em coming!
  • lotrisneat
    lotrisneat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was going to say "The Pastry Queen" until you mentioned the South Beach thing. But the ARE the most amazing cookbooks. My personal favorite cookbooks are the America's Test Kitchen cookbooks. They release one every year and they have the best recipes in them.

Here's the most recent: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Americas-Test-Kitchen-2011/dp/1933615648/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300124599&sr=8-1

Also, the Food Network magazine is really, really great! A subscription might be a nice idea. I enjoy reading mine, even if I don't try any of the recipes.