this just isnt working for me :(

Options
while I have enjoyed meeting friends on here and learning about tracking calories and seeing all the success stories of everyone who is losing so much weight
I am just thinking this is not the program for me & I really just dont know what is at this point.
Being I am not like most on here ( I had gastric bypass in 05- lost 140 pounds-need to lose another 50) no one can really relate to what I go thru or how hard it is to eat so many calories or deal with what I can and cant eat anymore in my life.
Ive been doing this site since the start of Feb and thou yeah it says I lost 6 pounds. I lose that and gain that every month and have for the last 9 months( I have to do a body cleanse for my digestive tract,since its so small) So really while I have done my best to eat up to 1200 calories a day , a few days over and some days under. I just have not lost anything and for weigh in yesterday I had gained 3 pounds in the last week( I tried to just eat my calories every day and little workout)
YES- I drink over 100oz of water a day, I take more than the average amount of vitamins, I consume more protein than most, and based on what products I can eat I get a variety of veggie & fruits - thou it may not be what others think as a serving.
I spent the money to get a HRM for my workouts I have been averaging a 3000 cal burn a week.
I have no under lying health issues( I got rid of those when I lost 100 pounds)
I think my body is just so slow with burning fat now b/c its so use to running on so few calories over the years, the more I eat now the more Im gaining and I just dont know how to fix that
Its so depressing not to see the scale move ..BUT I love giving support to everyone of my friends on here and others on the success of losing so well each week.

If I knew how to boost my metabolism with what things I can eat and what little calories I can stand to eat then maybe I would see a change.
suggestions?

Replies

• skitchlu
    skitchlu Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not in your exact situation, but I had gastric banding in 2006 and so I know that what works for a lot of other people doesn't apply as much to those who have already had a surgical procedure. Have you tried any supplements to boost your metabolism? I have been trying out a product called MPOWER over the last few weeks. I don't know if it is actually working in terms of boosting my metabolism (although that is its claim to fame), but I can tell that I have a lot more energy when I take it.

What about a Greens supplement or something else that gets the vitamins and minerals of fruits and veggies into your system, but that isn't so hard to get down when your ability to eat is so drastically reduced?
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    never heard of greens.. where do u get it?
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I am not in your situation as well, but I would guess that you are taking in too few calories for the amount you burn. I know there are a lot of other people on here that are in your situation (I've seen them), they just have to come out of the wood work.
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Maybe try less protein, add more veggies - they're next to no calories and will give you a full feeling.
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    On the "greens" question. any health food store most likely. I like Whole Foods for variety.
  • sheri4l
    sheri4l Posts: 4
    Options
    I agree witht he too few calories as I notice that my body won't lose when I don't eat enough and now I am just trying to find that spot an that is not an easy task girlfriend. Keep it up here and don't expect such fast loses. Slow and easy....
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I still think your 10 lbs in a month is a good loss hun. Your fewer calories doesn't seem to be hurting you much. Its a different outcome because the situation is different.

Maybe do more strength and see if more muscle will burn faster. Then you get factors of weight slowing more because the body composition is changing. The tracking calculations may not be FOR you but the support can be good.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken with your doctor? The food restrictions after the gastric bypass are tough and most of us are not experts. I'd talk to an expert or a nutritionist.
  • ChefJenn
    Options
    I still think your 10 lbs in a month is a good loss hun. Your fewer calories doesn't seem to be hurting you much. Its a different outcome because the situation is different.

Maybe do more strength and see if more muscle will burn faster. Then you get factors of weight slowing more because the body composition is changing. The tracking calculations may not be FOR you but the support can be good.

I have already gained back 4 pounds of that in the last two weeks..

As for others::: I have a really hard time eating 1200 calories, If I needed to eat more than that I would have to literally eat junk to get more in. 1200 calories is a lot of food for me to eat with a stomach that only holds about 4oz at a time and keeps me full for hours sometimes all day.
    A cup of soup will keep me full for 8 hours, If I over eat I will VOMIT and then dry vomit for hours on end and its dangerous on me to do that
    As for veggies & fruit they cant be in raw form, they must be super soft almost mush for me to eat them. They cant be stringy like so no lettuce, celery, and nothing with rough skin like apples, plums, etc..

I learned from being pre-op that I would always need to comsume atleast 60 grams of protein a day no matter what so I do protein drinks and things like that

Since having surgery my surgeon has retired and I dont have the insurance that would cover me to go and see another surgery group in my area.
    My family Dr doesnt have the knowledge on this either. Her suggestion was adipex a prescription drug. Which I have taken and dont want to again.
    I have spoke with the office I met with after surgery about my diet and she said that I need to go back and follow my post-op meal plan and it was 800 calories a day with 60 grams of protein and 30 mins of walking. Of course that was for right after surgery when eating was not possible at all.
    Im trying my best to deal with what resources I have at my hands and well I may just be at the weight I am going to be. Thou this is 50 pounds I have gained over the 6 years after losign 140 from surgery. I gained it from drinking and not from over eating.
    I could go without eating simply because there is no pleasure in it, I dont crave it, and most days it just makes me sick feeling

thanks all for the in put!!
  • skitchlu
    skitchlu Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    never heard of greens.. where do u get it?

Check out their website: http://www.genuinehealth.com/weight-loss
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    Jenn...do the 60 grams of protein...are you wearing a HRM when you work out? I cannot lose weight unless my heart rate is up there and I burn mega calories..My metabolism is just too slow normally...

Carbs and Alcohol are two times harder to burn off.
    Jenn, If you like I can go ask my pre-op nutritionist...Don't give up Jenn...You have inspired many people here.

Let me know..I have a lot of information I just don't know your specifics...Keep in mind we have a complete manual for our surgery and weight loss...

My thoughts are with you Hun.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    if you have abused your metabolism for a long time with to low a calorie diet or improper nutrition it can take time for it to bounce back, its a slow process and if you have spent years doing quicky diets or fad diets then expect it to take some time for the body to rebound and get back in the game, since your diary is not public I can not make any recommendations to you based on diet but I would recommend looking into a clean eating diet if you have not done so to date. It will keep you cleansed out and will help with getting proper nutrition into the body. Feel free to take a peek at mine as it is public and although I am no saint in the diet department I do try my best to get the most nutrient rich foods into my diet.
  • sylvia1970
    sylvia1970 Posts: 134
    Options
    Have you spoken with your doctor? The food restrictions after the gastric bypass are tough and most of us are not experts. I'd talk to an expert or a nutritionist.

I totally agree on this. You should be getting more support. I would ask to see them and let them guide you in the right direction.

good luck
  • ChefJenn
    Options
    if you have abused your metabolism for a long time with to low a calorie diet or improper nutrition it can take time for it to bounce back, its a slow process and if you have spent years doing quicky diets or fad diets then expect it to take some time for the body to rebound and get back in the game, since your diary is not public I can not make any recommendations to you based on diet but I would recommend looking into a clean eating diet if you have not done so to date. It will keep you cleansed out and will help with getting proper nutrition into the body. Feel free to take a peek at mine as it is public and although I am no saint in the diet department I do try my best to get the most nutrient rich foods into my diet.

no Fad diets.. No diet at all.. just a simple limited food intake with which the surgery causes and Im sure it has slowed my body down but I find it strange not to lose but I can gain it. HMMM