Heart Rate monitor cals burned vs. MFP calculator

Options
http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/

Okay, I just bought a heart rate monitor yesterday. So during my workout today, 60 minutes on the treadmill at speeds from 3.0 pmh-3.3mph.... I was perfectly within my target heart rate range, which I was really happy about because I was worried that my workout wasn't intense enough.

So when I used the calculator on here to find out how many calories I burned, it was waaaaay lower than the number I got from the calculator link I used above.

I found another online calculator to figure out my VO2 max, which was in the poor range, only 25.9 but I'm still considered obese, so I wasn't really surprised. Anyway, all that said, the calorie difference was OVER 200! I burned over 200 more calories than what the MFP calculator told me.
Which, I can understand now why I've been losing more weight than what my "calories in/calories out" calculations have been.

So for all you guys out there who's numbers haven't been adding up, try out the calculator above after you figure out what your actual VO2 max is!

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    So I'm guessing you didn't get the HRM that will tell you your calories burned.
  • swbmcknight
    Options
    It does, but the first time I set it up I goofed setting up my profile.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I never recommend using online calculators to determine your calories burned. The problem is that each moment of your workout has a different level of intensity.

The MFP calculators are there for those who do not have an HRM and need some sort of estimate as to their caloric burn. They work decent enough for that purpose. I used them until I got my HRM and it worked just fine for those 7 days.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Also, I just used the link you provided and put in the info from my last workout. It appears to be rather INACCURATE as well. My last workout burned 411 calories. The calculator at that web site suggested I would have burned 327 calories. That's nearly 100 calories off the actual number. I would not suggest using that tool!