Hit a plateau - any advice?

So for the last two and a half weeks I've weighed 162 pounds, despite sticking to my calories, despite my exercise efforts and despite doing exactly what I've been doing for the last three months. I have dropped to 161/160 briefly but I just seem to be maintaining at 162 for some reason. I've not exceeded my calories once and I've been exercising to burn 600 calories at least four times a week. I just don't know what's going wrong, I just feel trapped at 162 :( I'm only 17 pounds away from my goal now so it's really annoying me that I just can't seem to shift these last few pounds. Does anyone have any advice on how to overcome a plateau in weight loss? I'd appreciate any help possible :)

PS - I am on a 1,400 cal a day diet (down from 1,650 when I started) and I do 4-5 workouts a week burning around 500-600 cals each time. Yes, I do eat back some of my exercise cals but I don't eat them all most of the time.

Replies

• daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Wow! Look how great you've done! Have a little patience. It'll drop off - and you'll probably see the most substantial weight loss ever (usually after a plateau of sticking to the same number, a sudden jump of at least 5-7lbs. Good Luck!
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Have a high calorie day, maybe around 1700. It should help give your metabolism a kick.
  • Mamasota
    Mamasota Posts: 144
    Everyone hits plateaus. Since you are doing all the right things, it is possible that your body is just taking a break and the weight loss will start again soon. Here's a suggestion I learned from Weight Watchers (although not officially). Mix up your calories for a week - add all the calories you would eat in a week and then overeat two or three days and undereat one or two days. You will still be within your calorie count at the end of the week but those 2-3 days of extra calories sometimes bump starts your metabolism again. Also, recalculate your calories just to be sure you are eating the right amount. Good luck and congratuations on all the weight you have lost so far.

A caution - if you plateau for a while, don't get too discouraged and quit trying or those 28 lbs will be back before you know it. The weight will eventually come off.
  • I wish I had an answer. I actually JUST posted about this same thing a few days ago.
    I've been stick for over a month, it SUUUCKS.

If you find out something to help, be sure to let me know!
  • Lewzy
    Lewzy Posts: 54 Member
    To everyone suggesting I have a high calorie day, the thought of going over 1,400 scares me :( I'm terrified of gaining the weight back, I've been trying so hard to get it all off. I feel so trapped! :(
  • You do look fantastic, and the last 10-20 lbs are the most difficult to drop off. You will burn less calories than a heavier person would doing the same amount of exercise. As the previous posted stated, you have to be patient. I'd be at a "plateau" for a few days, then drop 2-3 lbs out of the blue.

In addition, make sure you have a calorie deficit, by recording absolutely everything you eat. Also, try not to eat out, b/c they put tons of sodium in their food, which will have your body retain water.

Another thing you can do, if you haven't done this already, is increase your exercise intensity to burn more calories. Also drink lots of water.

Don't forget to measure yourself. It is entirely possible that you are building muscle. 1 lb of muscle is smaller in volume than 1 lb of fat, so to fill the space of 1 lb of fat you will need more than 1 lb of muscle, which is why my trainer told me back in the day that if I wanted to be 125lbs, in actuality I'd be about 130 due to the increased muscle mass occupying the space of the fat I had lost. (I now weigh about 125-130 depending on when I weigh myself, and yet my waist is SMALLER than it was at 120.)
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Eating 1,700 calories won't make you gain your weight back.
  • IM IN THE SAEM POSITION YOU ARE i HAVE BEEN STUCK AT 162 AS WELL FOR TWO WEEKS WHAT i AM TRYING TO DO IS ACYUALLY WORK OUT A LITTLE LESS AND STILL EAT THE SAME AS ALWAYS SOMEONE SUGGESTED I WAS BURNING TO MANY CALORIES SO WE WILL SEE HOW THAT WORKS OUT ALSO IM TRYING NEW STUFF, INSTEAD OF GOING TO THE GYM 5 TIMES A WEEK i AM DOING MORE KICKBOXING VIDEOS AND WEIGHT TRAING AT HOME TO TRY AND TRICK MY BODY GOOD LUCK
  • mom2threeQTs
    mom2threeQTs Posts: 21 Member
    What people posted above is true. Your weight will eventually come off. When I hit my plateau the first time, I had to increase my calories to get my metabolism to kick start again. I was hesitant at first too, but it worked-- my body probably entered starvation mode as I was eating way too little calories. Now that I have only 10 lbs left to go, my weight loss has slowed down (and I hit another plateau a few weeks ago). What I did was zig zag my calories, as a previous poster mentioned. I kept my weekly totals the same, but would have a high-calorie day, and a low calorie day, just to keep things different. I also pay attention to my sodium levels as prepared or packaged food tends to contain a lot of it and it does cause me to retain water.

Good luck, and don't give up!
  • Sharonbed4d
    Sharonbed4d Posts: 163
    If you are sure that your exercise calories are correct then you shouldn't be afraid to eat them. Your body needs fuel for your exercise activities. Try eating all your exercise calories a few days a week. Drink lots of water and change up your exercise routine. When it comes to calories, less isn't always better especially when you are working out at a higher intensity.
  • Lewzy
    Lewzy Posts: 54 Member
    I was thinking perhaps the calories on my elliptical machine aren't correct - for example, in a minute on the elliptical on level 14 (the highest level) I can burn around 15 calories, however on the treadmill, I burn around 6-7 calories a minute.. despite it feeling like a LOT more effort. Hmm. Thanks for all your suggestions! I'm going to do one last week of staying on plan, and if by next Monday I haven't lost the two pounds I'm supposed to lose a week, I think I'll do a 'zig-zag' week! :)
  • ejharris
    ejharris Posts: 6
    I had been stuck at the same weight for a bit myself until recently. I have made small changes throughout the day that I believe have helped jumpstart my metabolism and are helping me to get toned. In addition to regular workouts, I try to add in strength training throughout the day - for instance, while waiting for the weather segment of the news in the morning I will do a few crunches, I do modified push-ups at my desk at work before I eat lunch, stairs instead of the elevator, I get off of the T one stop further away from the office, do standing calf raises while on a conference call. These things may seem small but I find that it has helped as I am nearing my goal weight and, more importantly, it helps energize me during the day - sitting at a desk all day can zap your energy:smile:
  • TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 599 Member
    I feel I do better when I have a few "cheat" meals. I am in a weigh-loss comp and I weigh in on Tuesdays so on Wednesday and Thursday and sometimes Friday my calorie intake is a bit higher than the rest of the week. I have found that even though I put on 1-3 lbs those few days it all falls off plus some by the next Tuesday!!
  • A plataeu usually means that you need to switch up your excersize routine !
    Your body is used to the stuff you are doing and its no longer as effective, so you have to switch your work outs every now and then!