Healthy fats/ daily fat limit

Options
Hey all.

My fat limit for one day is 63. I am finding that I am easily going over this. But, they are mostly healthy fats like olive oil, peanut butter, and nuts. Now should I deduct those from my fat limit points? Or should they be included?

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    If the bulk are healthy fats from nuts, unsaturated oils and what not I would not worry to much as mfp does not differentiate between healthy and unhealthy fats, just try to not go over to much, no more than 10%. however fats from things like chips, tootsie rolls, and donuts are not good fat choices.
  • darrenw74
    darrenw74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think it makes sense to include them, since they do have caloric value. If you are in your daily calorie range, and if your saturated fats are under control, I wouldn't worry too much about going over. I like to eat things like peanuts also, and it seems to help control hunger.

I'd just keep recording it, and if you eventually run into trouble eventually with a weight loss plateau, or problem building muscle, etc., you can go back and look at the reports and see what you can tweak.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I have this same issue as I am only allotted 48 grams and never stay under that. BUT when I review my fats, it is olive oil, almonds and the like, so I try not to be overly concerned, but can't help but notice that red number most days!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Fat I'd stick close to the limit 'healthy' fats or not. They are 9 calories per gram as opposed to 4 calories per gram of carbs or protein.

And just keep an eye on where they're coming from, saw donut, potato chips and ice-cream in the 3 days I looked back over. I wanted to see how you were doing it, so maybe stay at your limit or under on days where fat's coming from those items, not to say stop them I had a chocolate bar yesterday and enjoyed it ;) I still want my treats, AS treats instead of as a major food-group
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to my fat grams, but even more I pay attention to my intake of saturated fat. I think those are the ones that it is important to not go over in.
  • mayasmom
    mayasmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. Many of the fats were comeing from unsaturated (healthy) fats. So...I changed my food diary display to only show saturated fats and set that to a healthy level. Mine is set to 17grams...can't remember where I got that information but I rarely go over that amount.
  • em_1284
    em_1284 Posts: 11
    Options
    See I have the opposite issue - I rarely make it close to my "fat goal".

Do you guys think this could be hindering my progress?
  • fattybumchum22
    fattybumchum22 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever meet my fat allowances. my calories are 1200 a day and i almost meet them! im also doing the 3500+ burning calories a week !
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    If the bulk are healthy fats from nuts, unsaturated oils and what not I would not worry to much as mfp does not differentiate between healthy and unhealthy fats, just try to not go over to much, no more than 10%. however fats from things like chips, tootsie rolls, and donuts are not good fat choices.

I know that chips, tootsie rolls, and donuts are not good fat choices. I have had a stressful past few days ;) Normally healthy fats are the majority of my fat choices. Thanks!!
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    I had the same problem. Many of the fats were comeing from unsaturated (healthy) fats. So...I changed my food diary display to only show saturated fats and set that to a healthy level. Mine is set to 17grams...can't remember where I got that information but I rarely go over that amount.

That is a good idea. I might start watching my saturated fats as well :)