any vegetarians out there?

Options
hello,
I'm new to this site. I am a mother of a beautiful 4 month old baby boy looking to loose around 25lbs. Looking for some new veggie recipes...Hope to hear from you.:smile:

Replies

• lucasmom
    Options
    hello,
    I'm new to this site. I am a mother of a beautiful 4 month old baby boy looking to loose around 25lbs. Looking for some new veggie recipes...Hope to hear from you.:smile:
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    I used to be for 20 years...then I fell off the wagon? Anyway....are you nursing? I have a great book for recipes for the nursing mom...I can look some up if you wish?

dd
  • lucasmom
    Options
    I am not nursing any more, though sometimes I wish I was, that's how all the weight came off! :wink:
    I don't want to put you out but recipes would be great, sort of new to the veggie thing!
  • kckat96
    kckat96 Posts: 72
    Options
    :happy: Just made a great veg pasta sauce. Zuccine, yellow squash 1 each. Spring (or green) onions 1 buch, Sliced Mushrooms 1 box, Spinch 1 bag, 1/2 each Green, Yellow and Red Peppers (or if you really like pepers add the whole pepper), and 1 helipno pepper to taste. Cut everything up into med/small pices and cook over med heat with a little olive oil until almost done. Put into a food processor and paulse down about 10 times and then put back into pan. Add 4 (14oz )cans of dice tomatoes and juice (can be the ones with flavors or plain) and cook about 15 to 20 minutes on low to allow the flavors to mix (add water if you need to). If you like herbs you can add some Itilian herbs, cacyan paper or red peper flakes to give more flavor. Cook some whole wheet pasta and pour the sauce over the pasta....serve and eat. It's great. Hope this help. Hugs from kckat96
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    hello,

Hi lucasmom,
    Here are a few websites you can check out.

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/vegcorner/vegcorner.html

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/collections/healthy_vegetarian_recipes.html

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • melissa2ca
    melissa2ca Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm not but I have many friends who are. The below recipe is FABULOUS, easy and of course made with no meat what-so-ever!

Chicken, Chorizo and Tortilla Stoup (Stew-like Soup) Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
    Show: 30 Minute Meals
    Episode: Kitchen Survivor

1 pound boca chicken tenders (skinless)
    Salt and pepper
    1 package soyrizo (like chorizo, but made with soy) I found it by chance @ walmart in the vegan section
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, smashed
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    1 medium onion, chopped
    6 small red potatoes, diced
    1 (15-ounce) can fire roasted chopped tomatoes (recommended: Muir Glen)
    1 (15-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained
    2 teaspoons hot sauce
    1 quart vegitarian chicken stock
    1 sack red or blue corn tortilla chips
    2 cups shredded pepper jack or smoked Cheddar
    (I omit the cheese to reduce fat,/calories or use vegan cheese)
    Suggested garnishes: chopped scallions, chopped cilantro or fresh thyme leaves

Preheat medium soup pot over medium-high heat.
    Chop tenders into bite-size pieces. Wash up, then season with salt and pepper. Add extra-virgin olive oil and chicken to pot. Lightly brown chicken 2 minutes, then add the soyrizo and garlic. Cook another 2 to 3 minutes, then add peppers, onions and potatoes. Cook 5 minutes, then stir in tomatoes, kidney beans, and hot sauce. Add vegitarian chicken stock and bring soup to a bubble.
  • lucasmom
    Options
    thank you all for your iseda. Can't wait to try them!
    :smile:
  • IndyManda
    Options
    Funny you should ask....I was looking for healthy recipes this morning and came across a very helpful site that has all the nutritional info, weight watcher pts, and even commentary on how healthy the recipes are, and they are all veggie recipes. I saved it because my mom is a vegetarian, so here I'll share it again!
    http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I'm a veggie, what kind of recipe would you like?
  • pstreet
    Options
    I'm a veggie,I actually just became one the first of the year. I am enjoying the life style change. I have been surfing the internet and have found quite a few that are good quick and easy. Just type in the word vegetarian and off you go.
  • lucasmom
    Options
    you guys are all so helpful
    thank you
  • egeldis
    Options
    Hi there! I am also new, and I am just beginning a vegetarian diet - eventual working towards vegan. I have been trying to find some great recipes, and I came a cross this site:

www.fatfreevegan.com

There are a lot of great recipes for vegetarians and vegans alike. I also have a cookbook from the library called The Flexitarian Table. It is great for families with non-vegetarian members. Good luck!
  • MsJohnny5
    MsJohnny5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    another vegetarian here :-)

Check out your local library for some good veg. cookbooks. I'm constantly testing them out for good recipes and I've found a few excellent keepers. I also do online searches for recipes, or have a few sites bookmarked. Here's a link to some low-fat veg recipes:
    http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=559.0

Have a great day!
  • zmonster
    zmonster Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am a vegetarian as is my 15 year old daughter. It is really great finding these web sites because it is easy to get in a rut of "the same old thing"....the other side of that coin is that it is almost impossible to be a fast food junkie! I am so glad to see Sarah recommend the Vegetarian Cooking for everyone, I just received it in the mail today! Perfect timing:laugh: . Thanks!
  • sante9719
    Options
    I'm a vegan, happy to see other veggies who are concious about there weight. So many of us think we can eat any and everything because we don't eat meat and it is automatically healthy. A couple of my favorite sites are http://www.vegan-food.net/category/appetizers/ and http://www.fatfreevegan.com/. even food network has some great vegetarian recipies, although I can't attest to how healthy they are:wink: The link to their site is http://search.foodnetwork.com/food/recipe/vegetarian/search.do?searchString=vegetarian&site=food&searchType=Recipe
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've been a vegetarian for 16 years - it's nice to see so many other "veggies" on this site!

I just got an excellent cookbook/reference book called "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" by Mark Bittman. It spends a lot of time talking about various ingredients and how to use them, and for many of the recipes he will give 5-15 variations! So that's a great source for ideas, as well as a reference to turn to when you find yourself wondering about a new veggie or grain that you've never tried before.

I've always like VegWeb (www.vegweb.com) for recipes - most of which are vegan.

Here's a recipe that I just came up with recently - pasta with tomatoes and capers. It's quick, and you can cook the veggies while the pasta is cooking. I've used spaghetti or angel hair, but any kind would work:

Warm a little olive oil in a pan, add a clove or two of chopped garlic. When the garlic starts to turn golden, add coarsely chopped grape or roma tomatoes (I'd probably use about 2 romas or about 10 grape tomatoes - with the grape tomatoes, I usually just cut them once in half). Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Cook the tomatoes down for a couple of minutes, then add 1-2 tbsp of capers and turn down the heat. When your pasta is done, drain and add it to the pan, using tongs to toss with the veggies. Add more salt and pepper to taste, and serve topped with crumbled feta cheese.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I make the same recipe, but I add olives :happy:
  • grlygrl
    Options
    Hello, I am a vegetarian as is my 15 year old daughter. It is really great finding these web sites because it is easy to get in a rut of "the same old thing"....the other side of that coin is that it is almost impossible to be a fast food junkie! I am so glad to see Sarah recommend the Vegetarian Cooking for everyone, I just received it in the mail today! Perfect timing:laugh: . Thanks!
  • grlygrl
    Options
  • grlygrl
    Options
    Duh! you hit the post reply button AFTER you reply! I'll get the hang of this!! ::blushing: I figured you'd be in the veggie section! :bigsmile: How do you like the book? Should I run out and get it? I need all the help I can get when it comes to cooking! Especially veggie cooking!!LOL