I need a healthy recipe

Options
Super_mom
Super_mom Posts: 185
I will be having salmon tonight any advice on how to cook it? I like the way I normally cook, but I'm looking for something different and what would be a good side dish?

I have a lot of calories left and need to eat most of them.

thanks.

Replies

• MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I make mine on the stovetop in a frying pan (no oil) with 2 T apricot jam, 1 T soy sauce, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Even my kids love this, and they are picky. So delish!
  • lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    im not sure how u cook fish but i made salmon the other day
    i put lemon ,mrs dash garlic and herb and used parkay spray on them stuck it in the oven and it was freakin great .
    my hub even told me how good it was and that is a compliment!!
  • aBEAR86
    aBEAR86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Salmon is great with a teriyaki marinade for a bit of flavor with a whole grain rice or pilaf for a side. Asparagus is also a great pairing for salmon if you're looking for veggie. Broil for 5-10 mins with a bit of canola or olive oil and a dash of season (ie: Mrs Dash- with no sodium or MSG)

Good Luck!
  • thomaslh83
    thomaslh83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Poaching it would be a good option - maybe with lemon juice and basic seasoning (salt, pepper). Serve it with some brown rice and a side salad and you're good to go!
  • purplebikini
    purplebikini Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello....made this side dish this weekend following recipe exactly It is NO COOK...super healthy...makes alot...tastes AWESOME. You Must use the FRESH cilantro. Enjoy !

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mexican-Bean-Salad/Detail.aspx
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I use a grill pan and a little of the Mrs. Dash lemon pepper seasoning. It tastes wonderful and doesn't have any sodium. I love the way it looks with all the little grill marks across it.
  • zamiesgirl
    Options
    here is a Salmon with Lemon Butter and Pineapple Salsa

prep time 10 mins
    4 servings

Lemon Butter
    1 tbs butter or margarine, softened
    4 tsp grated lemon peel
    2 tsp lemon juice

Pineapple salsa

2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tbs finely chopped red onion
    1 tsp finely chopped Jalapeno if desired

Salmon
    4 Salmon fillets about 1 inch thick 1/4 tsp salt

Heat Oven to 375. In a small bowl, mix lemon butter ingredients, set aside
    In medium bowl mix pineapple salsa ingredients cover and refrigerate until serving time
    Line 13x9 inch pan with foil. Place salmon skin side down in pan sprinkle with salt
    Bake 8-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork. Immediately top salmon with lemon butter serve with salsa

1 serving 300 (calories from fat 110)

I got this recipe from Pillsbury fast and healthy cookbook
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Salmon is great with a teriyaki marinade for a bit of flavor with a whole grain rice or pilaf for a side. Asparagus is also a great pairing for salmon if you're looking for veggie. Broil for 5-10 mins with a bit of canola or olive oil and a dash of season (ie: Mrs Dash- with no sodium or MSG)

Good Luck!

I recently found a way to make teriyaki sauce/ marinade much lower in sodium. I found a new dressing. It is Paula Deen's Peach Dressing. It only has 15 calories, 30 grams of sodium and 4 carbs for 2 tbs. I mix 3 parts dressing and 1 part teriyaki sauce to make my marinade. Teriyaki is such a dominating taste, that adding it to peach dressing doesn't take away from the teriyaki taste. It doesn't taste like peaches either. It tastes like a sweet teriyaki sauce that only has 1/4 the sodium. I then bake it for about 12-15 minutes.
  • Super_mom
    Super_mom Posts: 185
    Options
    thanks for the ideas, i usually marinate mine for 15mins with evoo, garlic, seafood seasoning, lemon juice and dijon mustard and roast in the oven. It's really good, just thought i would try something new.
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Mmm. wow! That sounds great!! I know what I'm having for dinner!
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    This Alton Brown recipe is my hands down favorite way to cook salmon. The flavor is spectacular:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/broiled-sockeye-salmon-with-citrus-glaze-recipe/index.html
  • aBEAR86
    aBEAR86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I recently found a way to make teriyaki sauce/ marinade much lower in sodium. I found a new dressing. It is Paula Deen's Peach Dressing. It only has 15 calories, 30 grams of sodium and 4 carbs for 2 tbs. I mix 3 parts dressing and 1 part teriyaki sauce to make my marinade. Teriyaki is such a dominating taste, that adding it to peach dressing doesn't take away from the teriyaki taste. It doesn't taste like peaches either. It tastes like a sweet teriyaki sauce that only has 1/4 the sodium. I then bake it for about 12-15 minutes.

Yumm, I'll have to try it! :)
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Slow-Roasted Salmon with Bok Choy and Coconut Rice

Cooking the salmon at a low temperature ensures moist results. This is ideal for a dinner party--just serve with hot jasmine tea and offer ginger sorbet for dessert.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 fillet, about 2/3 cup rice, about 1/2 cup bok choy, and 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce)

Ingredients
    Salmon:
    8 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Cooking spray
    Rice:
    2 cups uncooked basmati rice
    1 1/2 cups light coconut milk
    1 1/2 cups water
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup chopped green onions
    Bok choy:
    2 teaspoons canola oil
    16 cups bok choy, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 4 pounds)
    1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
    1/2 cup sake (rice wine)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Sauce:
    1/3 cup fresh lime juice
    1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
    1/2 teaspoon red curry paste (such as Thai Kitchen)
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 250°.

To prepare salmon, sprinkle salmon evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place salmon, skin sides down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 250° for 30 minutes until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness.

To prepare rice, rinse with cold water; drain. Combine rice, coconut milk, 1 1/2 cups water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat; stir once. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Let stand 10 minutes; stir in onions.

To prepare bok choy, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bok choy and ginger; sauté 1 minute. Add sake and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cover and cook 2 minutes or until bok choy wilts. Cover and keep warm.

To prepare sauce, combine juice and remaining ingredients, stirring well with a whisk. Serve salmon with rice, bok choy, and sauce.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    570 (27% from fat)
    Fat:
    16.9g (sat 5.4g,mono 6.4g,poly 3.7g)
    Protein:
    43.3g
    Carbohydrate:
    60.6g
    Fiber:
    1.9g
    Cholesterol:
    87mg
    Iron:
    4.7mg
    Sodium:
    965mg
    Calcium:
    237mg
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Grilled Wild Salmon and Vegetables

You often can find different varieties of locally grown onions at farmers' markets and occasionally at supermarkets. Hastings likes to use specialty onions, including red torpedo, bianco de maijio, and gold coin. Here, we call for more readily available varieties. Use a grill basket to cook the fish and vegetables.

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients
    8 fingerling potatoes (about 8 ounces)
    4 small red onions, cut into 1-inch slices (about 1 pound)
    4 Vidalia spring onions, quartered (about 8 ounces)
    4 cipollini onions (about 4 ounces)
    2 cups sliced fennel (about 7 ounces)
    1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
    Cooking spray
    1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
    1 tablespoon chopped fennel fronds
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
    2 cups pea tendrils or baby spinach
    1/4 cup Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette
    Preparation
    Prepare grill.

Place potatoes in a large pan of boiling water; cook 8 minutes or until tender. Add onions and sliced fennel; cook 3 minutes or until onions are tender. Drain and plunge into ice water; drain.

Toss vegetables with oil. Place vegetables on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or until tender and lightly browned. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, fennel fronds, and parsley.

Sprinkle salmon with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place salmon on grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill 5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Place 1 salmon fillet onto each of 4 plates. Toss pea tendrils with Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette. Place about 1/2 cup pea tendril mixture over salmon. Add 1 1/2 cups grilled vegetables to each serving, and serve immediately.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    307 (47% from fat)
    Fat:
    16.2g (sat 4.1g,mono 8.1g,poly 3.6g)
    Protein:
    24.3g
    Carbohydrate:
    15.7g
    Fiber:
    2.8g
    Cholesterol:
    57mg
    Iron:
    1.3mg
    Sodium:
    515mg
    Calcium:
    65mg
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Grilled Salmon with Charred Tomato Salsa

This dish is most flavorful when prepared with wild Pacific salmon, which is redder in color than its milder Atlantic cousin. For a more exotic dish, pair the salmon with Mango-Coconut Salsa.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 fillet and about 2 tablespoons salsa)

Ingredients
    4 tomatoes (about 1/2 pound)
    2 jalapeño peppers
    2 poblano chiles
    1 small onion, peeled
    1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    6 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
    Fresh thyme (optional)
    Preparation
    Preheat broiler.

Place first 4 ingredients on a broiler pan, and broil 10 minutes or until tomatoes are tender and onion is slightly blackened. Cool 5 minutes.

Core tomatoes; discard cores. Coarsely chop tomatoes, peppers, chiles, and onion; place in a bowl. Add cilantro, oil, salt, and black pepper; toss gently.

Prepare grill.

Place salmon, skin side down, on grill rack. Grill 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Top with about 2 tablespoons salsa; garnish with thyme, if desired.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    309 (43% from fat)
    Fat:
    14.9g (sat 3.3g,mono 6.8g,poly 3.4g)
    Protein:
    37g
    Carbohydrate:
    5g
    Fiber:
    1.6g
    Cholesterol:
    87mg
    Iron:
    1.7mg
    Sodium:
    279mg
    Calcium:
    36mg
  • nhhartmann
    nhhartmann Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I make mine on the stovetop in a frying pan (no oil) with 2 T apricot jam, 1 T soy sauce, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Even my kids love this, and they are picky. So delish!

This sounds great - I'm going to try this this week! Thanks