To Join A Gym Or Not To Join A Gym?!?!

Options
I was thinking about joining a gym to work on toning and strength training...I weigh 197.4 lbs and was thinking about joining a gym when I get about 185...I need yalls input...I have an ellitipcal trainer at home...but I don't have anything to tone with...

Replies

• AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can set it as a reward for meeting one of your minigoals?

Personally, I didn't join a gym. I know several people that NEED to go to the gym to feel motivated to workout. But, I like the connivence and privacy of home. I mostly run outside or on my treadmill and I also bought some free weights and do exercises at home.

It's really up to your preference!
  • blobrien
    blobrien Posts: 7
    Options
    For me, it is totally worth it. I try to go to the weight classes at least 2 times a week. I have learned a lot in those classes and should I leave the gym, I would be able to continue at home. Also, it is my quiet time!
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    I like going to the gym but for me right now I'm paying for a membership that I hardly ever use because they don't have childcare and I usually don't have a babysitter. . .so I guess what I'm saying is, if it works for you and your lifestyle then it is worth it but if there is a reason you won't be able to go very often or if you know you would do better working out at home, then that works too! Much success to you whichever way you choose!! :smile:
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    If you have the room to do it, you'd probably spend less money if you buy some weights and resistance bands to use at home. Gym memberships can be pricey and if you don't go to one that is 24 hours, you might not go as often as you could if your schedule is hectic. I don't have a gym membership and lost 88 pounds in 2008 without ever stepping foot in one! It all depends on your motivation, budget, preference! :smile:
  • Beachbean77
    Beachbean77 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership but haven't used it in months lol. Mainly cuz of work and the kids I have no time to go. I have an elliptical at home and use my wii for most exercise and just ordered some dvd's. Have to remember to cancel my gym membership lmao!!

I think it's a personal preference for you though. How often would you use it? Is it worth the expense? Your the one that has to pay and the one that has to go... so it's your decision.

Good luck!
  • nurse_jenie
    nurse_jenie Posts: 173
    Options
    You can tone using your own body weight. Push-ups with your arms in different stances will work your arms even back. Lounges, squats, and running up and down stairs will work your legs. Stand with only the pad of your foot on your bottom step (I use my wii fit board) and move up to your tip toes then back down will work your calf's. And of course you can do sit-ups anywhere. I have a gym membership and love it but these are all alternatives I do at home when I can't make it to the gym.
  • loriefolk
    loriefolk Posts: 352
    Options
    I have a gym membership that is not being used at all. I'm able to get all of my workouts in at home, making the membership completely useless!
  • sweetsunlover
    Options
    i love the gym i have been member for 5 years apart from a year in middle when i had my son . i go reguarly still . i find it easier to go gym as have set times i go but if it was left to me training at home i dont think i would get round to it. my gym has a pool and a spa , so i love going for a dip after a gym sesh or class then my reward is to go in the spa after. works well for me . u need to think about if u can afford it.... if u can have u got time to go reguarly to get your moneys worth.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend determining what your goals are and then tailoring your workouts around those. Once those are established, determine if a gym is the right solution for you or not. Then, it's also a matter of finding the right gym for YOU - not all gyms are created equal, not by a longshot.

Here's a list of things to keep in mind should you decide a joining a gym is right for you:

-Cost. What is the monthly fee? Do you have to sign a contract or can you go month-to-month? Is there a down payment involved?
    -Equipment. Does the gym have new equipment? Varied cardio machines? Free weights? Resistance Machines? Does the equipment look new or old?
    -Clientele. Is the gym geared more toward bodybuilders? Women? Can you see yourself working out there regularly and not feeling out of place?
    -Cleanliness. Is the gym relatively clean? More importantly, what about the locker rooms?
    -Perks. Is there child care? A smoothie bar? Group classes? Personal trainers? Towels?

Also, most gyms will allow you to have a free trial membership for a couple of weeks or so. I would highly advise going this route before paying or signing anything. The gym employee might be doing their best to make the place seem great, but you won't know for sure until you spend some time there working out.

Good luck!
  • Cora0414
    Cora0414 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Technically you could do 95% of your workout at home. and I use to say that if I had a gym membership it would make me go but all it did was waste money. you have to really feel if you will go or not. if you honestly dont think you will, then I would recommend using things around the house like canned foods as weights and work out DVDs.
  • Losing2Live1989
    Losing2Live1989 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Thanks for yalls advice...I need to lose atleast 50 lbs by next feb. and I live 5 mins from a gym thats 10 dollars a month!!!
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Thanks for yalls advice...I need to lose atleast 50 lbs by next feb. and I live 5 mins from a gym thats 10 dollars a month!!!

that's crazy cheap. i pay $30/month with no contract and i feel like i'm getting a great deal compared to other gyms in town that are sometimes double and you're locked in.

for me i personally like going to the gym. i find there are too many distractions at home and now enough room. once the snow melts i'll get outside more and maybe go to the gym less, but in the winter i really like the gym atmosphere
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Join, Join, Join
  • Krissy_breann
    Options
    I have found the gym to be pretty helpful. It costs my family $40 a month per person on a family plan, so for only $10 I would deffinantly join up! I've had mine for about a month now and continue to go 4 times a week. I think that having people around me who are also trying to work out and tone up is a great motivation, also.