Asparagus

Options
mamareese
mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
I'm trying to experiment (in healthy ways of course!) with new items. Todays is asparagus. But I'm not sure what to do with it. Mix it in with some chicken? or a wheat pasta? what type of seasoning? should I microwave or steam it? Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    i like to steam mine...doesn't take long. if you over cook them, they will be really mushy. not a good thing.

you could try drizzling a ltitle extra virgin olive oil on them - just be careful with the amount.
  • corrinnebrown
    Options
    I have a microwave steamer. My daughter LOVES asparagus so we have it around 3-4 times per week. I put it in the steamer with a little salt and pepper and microwave for 4 minutes. You could do ginger, garlic, onion with it too.
  • mizfit
    mizfit Posts: 118
    Options
    Check out the website allrecipes.com and just type in asparagus and a ton of recipes will come up for you
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I like it roasted--either with a drizzle* of EVOO or Sesame Oil and pop 'em in the oven for 10-15 mins or so at 350! <--This is also easy when you are trying to cook other stuff :happy:

*I use about 1 tsp for a full bunch, usually serves about 4... results in a very small amount of oil per person and it is plenty.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I love to grill it (on the Foreman) with a little olive oil and fresh ground pepper.
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I love putting in the oven with some Olive Oil, salt and pepper and bake til they start to brown a bit. SOOOO Good! Bake at 350 ish.
  • Jojo42
    Jojo42 Posts: 223
    Options
    MMmm i love Asparagus, I have mine lightly steamed and use it to dip into a soft boiled egg instead of bread, really rich and buttery when you do this.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I love to grill them with salt, pepper and a little olive oil

I also do them with the same preparation in a very hot pan. but I toss in a little white wine after the asparagus starts to char.
  • tmthorn0927
    tmthorn0927 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    you could also roast it with a little salt and pepper and olive oil. YUM!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    i like stir frying it in my wok! not with a lot of oil or anything, because the wok will keep it from sticking. it gives it an almost grilled flavor, but so easy!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil. Then, sautee, roast or grill. So good!
  • ashleighk2010
    Options
    I like to grill it the best, a little garlic and salt go a long way to really bring out the flavor. You can sauté it with garlic too... Yum.
  • A_shelton316
    A_shelton316 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love to grill mine on my little inside grill with light spray of olive oil and garlic seasoning. Yummmm :happy:
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Mmmm.... I've made an awesome Chicken, Asparagus, & Mushroom Pizza before, it was amazing! I substituted Alfredo (light) for sauce and was very skimpy on the cheese.. crust was thin whole wheat.. the flavors combined was delicious.. if you would like the recipe let me know.. I'll share!
  • knighttrain74
    knighttrain74 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I was so scared of asparagus till I tried it! Grill it or bake it with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and some lemon pepper! It's really good, and I'm a very picky eatter!
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Asparagus is very much complimented by lemon! I like to lightly sautee it in a tiny amount of EVOO in a skilllet. Then towards the end add some coarsely ground black pepper and some lemon juice. It can also be cooked this way in the oven or on the grill!
  • Super_mom
    Super_mom Posts: 185
    Options
    i toss them with a little evoo, garlic, cracked black pepper and kosher salt. roast in the over for a couple of minutes and the drizzle with some balsamic vinegar. My son loves them too.
  • jenkramer
    jenkramer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Zap cooked asparagus in the cuisinart or blender with a little skim milk and/or low fat sour cream and fresh pepper/pinch of salt! Makes a very satifsfying, (what seems to be creamy but really isnt) vegetarian hearty soup.