Cucumbers....who knew!

Options
CallejaFairey
CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
i was just going through my email, and my dad sent me a neat one about cucumbers, thought i would share.

1. Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day, just one cucumber contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc.

2. Feeling tired in the afternoon, put down the caffeinated soda and pick up a cucumber. Cucumbers are a good source of B Vitamins and Carbohydrates that can provide that quick pick-me-up that can last for hours.

3. Tired of your bathroom mirror fogging up after a shower? Try rubbing a cucumber slice along the mirror, it will eliminate the fog and provide a soothing, spa-like fragrance.

4. Are grubs and slugs ruining your planting beds? Place a few slices in a small pie tin and your garden will be free of pests all season long. The chemicals in the cucumber react with the aluminum to give off a scent undetectable to humans but drive garden pests crazy and make them flee the area.

5 Looking for a fast and easy way to remove cellulite before going out or to the pool? Try rubbing a slice or two of cucumbers along your problem area for a few minutes, the phytochemicals in the cucumber cause the collagen in your skin to tighten, firming up the outer layer and reducing the visibility of cellulite. Works great on wrinkles too!!!

6. Want to avoid a hangover or terrible headache? Eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed and wake up refreshed and headache free. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients the body lost, keeping everything in equilibrium, avoiding both a hangover and headache!!

7. Looking to fight off that afternoon or evening snacking binge? Cucumbers have been used for centuries and often used by European trappers, traders and explores for quick meals to thwart off starvation.

8. Have an important meeting or job interview and you realize that you don't have enough time to polish your shoes? Rub a freshly cut cucumber over the shoe. Its chemicals will provide a quick and durable shine that not only looks great but also repels water.

9. Out of WD 40 and need to fix a squeaky hinge? Take a cucumber slice and rub it along the problematic hinge and voila, the squeak is gone!

10. Stressed out and don't have time for massage, facial or visit to the spa? Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water, the chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber with react with the boiling water and be released in the steam, creating a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown the reduce stress in new mothers and college students during final exams.

11. Just finish a business lunch and realize you don't have gum or mints? Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds to eliminate bad breath. The phytochemcials will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.

12. Looking for a 'green' way to clean your faucets, sinks or stainless steel? Take a slice of cucumber and rub it on the surface you want to clean, not only will it remove years of tarnish and bring back the shine, but is won't leave streaks and won't harm your fingers or fingernails while you clean.

13. Using a pen and made a mistake? Take the outside of the cucumber and slowly use it to erase the pen writing, also works great on crayons and markers that the kids have used to decorate the walls!!

Replies

• TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    that's great :o) thanks for sharing!
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Thanks for sharing.
  • NicoleMarie0409
    Options
    Wow! Very cool post :) Thanks
  • nmp1994
    nmp1994 Posts: 96
    Options
    thanks for sharing...interesting!
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    WOW thats awesome!

I eat cucumbers like crazy, but lately they have either been really bad, or non existent. I think they are worse this year, maybe cause of the weather across the states this winter.
  • jody_226
    jody_226 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    amazing thanks :wink:
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Great to know.
  • mrsmartin1001
    mrsmartin1001 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. :flowerforyou:
  • rdaraz
    rdaraz Posts: 103
    Options
    wow. interesting!
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    very interesting. I'm going to try the bathroom mirror trick. Thanks for posting.
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    That is VERY interesting. Who knew cucumbers could be used in SO many helpful ways.

Thanks SO much for sharing! :smooched:
  • Angela1303
    Angela1303 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Haha thats great, really need to try the hangover one! :-)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    WOW thats awesome!

I eat cucumbers like crazy, but lately they have either been really bad, or non existent. I think they are worse this year, maybe cause of the weather across the states this winter.

Get some of the "seedless", "english" or "gourmet" ones that are individually wrapped in plastic. The regular cucs here this year are realllly bad, bitter taste, soft and turn to slime in just a couple days.
  • Arester
    Arester Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    great low carb snack, love em!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm about to have some for a snack in a minute. Cucumbers, pepper and a little vinegar..yum!
  • Fertilegrounds5
    Options
    WOW! That's great to know. Now I have a reason to plant the extra cucumber plant this season ;)
  • Fertilegrounds5
    Options
    I'm about to have some for a snack in a minute. Cucumbers, pepper and a little vinegar..yum!
    That is my favorite healthy snack!!!
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    I eat cucumbers every day, yet I did not know any of this! VERY interesting :) I eat them with cottage cheese (nachos - Flanders' style!) and put 1/4 cup on every sandwich I eat. Gives a nice crunch and replaces those sodium filled pickles.

And since I started MFP, any bad breath has gone away almost entirely. The cucumbers explains it! Thanks for sharing!
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    WOW thats awesome!

Also, if a cucumber tastes bitter, sometimes you can salvage it by just scooping out the insides (seeds and watery goo) and just eat the fleshy part.