Questions about C25k

Options
For those who have done the C25K I need to know if it really works? I hate running! I always feel like one of the contestants on biggest loser, when they first start the show and can barely run at all without being out of breath. Does C25K really help those who are terrible at running and dont even really enjoy it?

Replies

• bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    please join our group......we started at the beginning of march...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/183129-starting-c25k-again-tomorrow
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I was never a long distance runner. After completing this program, I actually started to enjoy it. Especially when I am outdoors. Indoors on the treadmill is still a downer for me, but in the winter here you don't have many options when it's below zero. lol

It took me longer than the 9 weeks mentioned in the program, but I decided that it was something I wanted to do and wasn't going to give up on it.

So, if you keep your mind open, you might come to enjoy running.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Yes it does, I ran X country in Junior high. Then didn't run again until a few years ago (good 20 year gap) when I first tried to lose weight. I used the couch to 5K program and can tell you 100% that it will get you to 5K distance without hurting you (most important)

I didn't use it this time because I knew how to start running again, but would advise it for anyone starting out.

BTW now I love to run, I put the I Pod on and just enjoy myself. I also can do a 10K now with no problem at all (not the fastest in the world but I'm in it to enjoy myself)
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm with Clarissa on it taking longer than 9 weeks... I usually get hung up in weeks 3 and 4 for awhile. (Currently in week 2 on my LAST time at it!!) :) The interval running technique though, is a great way to burn fat when you're getting you heart rate on that up and down roller coaster. Once I get into weeks 2 and 3 is when I usually start to see a few lb's coming off finally.
  • Asomething
    Asomething Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think it is really great to get you started.
    I started with C25k and then kind of did my own thing (essentially, run when I could, walk when I couldn't)
    Not that you asked for any other advice, but I'm givig it anyway :)
    Do yourself a HUGE favor and invest in the best shoes you can buy. Go somewhere where they know what they are doing, and they properly fit you! And learn to pace yourself!!
    GOOD LUCK!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    It works. I have never ever run in my life and I did it and ran a 5k.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I finished the program last year. I was NEVER a runner. Even at my thinnest and most fit before I couldn't run a mile without stopping. I completed the program and was able to run a 5K at a 12 minute mile pace. That being said I WANTED to be a runner. I wanted to prove myself wrong because I always thought I could never do it. Try it and if you start to enjoy it keep going. If you still hate it after a few weeks you shouldn't subject yourself to something that makes you miserable.
  • Aylilth
    Aylilth Posts: 125
    Options
    it works!!

I am over 200lbs still and can run for 20 mins and extending it longer.

I may not be quick at it but I can do it non stop. And tell ya what I love being on the treadmill at the gym and having somebody get on beside me and start running at a high speed and not lasting even 5 minutes. Having them glance over at me trotting along at my pace and not stopping. :bigsmile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started the program at the end of December so I could participate in a Warrior Dash in June. I always HATED running and was never any good at it. Even 20+ years ago in high school, the only time I ran was when I had to make up skipped gym classes.

I loved doing the C25k because each week, each time I ran further and longer than the week before, was a non-scale victory. Huge ego boost!

After finishing the program, I kept adding to my distance. I ran 4.25 miles today. I'm becoming addicted to running. Still on the treadmill, since I have cold-induced asthma. Can't wait for warm weather and being able to run outside. I love that I'm going to be able to do 5k runs and help raise money for fundraisers. And I never, ever thought it was something I'd be able to do!
  • lcdblue1026
    lcdblue1026 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ok, so you guys have me interested, where do you find the program?
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I just completed C25K last week and just ran my first 5K on Saturday. I never liked running, never. I was able to complete it in 9 weeks and can now run between 11-12 min mile. The thing I love about the program is you can take it at your own pace, you pick up slowly - so it's not overwhelming. If you need to repeat a week, you can. It's all about where you are and what you put into it. I found for me that it was more of a mental game than anything. Your body can usually do it, it's just about your mind believing it.

I started blogging on Week 2 of C25K, if you're interested in reading about it. After all is said and done, I absolutely love running now! Mostly because I know and believe I can do it and it's not like a mission impossible thing anymore :happy: Good luck on this, let us know if you decide to pursue it and how it goes for you!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Ok, so you guys have me interested, where do you find the program?

There are several different versions of them out there. I'm using this one: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml

If you have a smartphone, there are also free apps that will keep track of the timing for you and sound a chime when it's time to switch from walking to running and back. I'm using C25K Lite on Android.
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It really worked for me. I am in love with running now. I don't always run straight without breaks, but I am running. I am in training for a 10k =)
  • Jerzeeblondie
    Options
    Thanks so much, I think I might start doing this next week since I feel like I am starting to get a cold and don't want to start running outside with the changing temperatures if I'm getting sick. I hate running because I feel I am always out of breath or don't know how to breathe correctly while running. I try to go too fast to start and end up unable to breathe right away. But if this is going to help me reach my goal of being able to run at least a mile without stopping it sounds like something good to try. Seems that people of all ages and sizes have success with C25K so I figure why not try it