So, I'm trying to give up diet soda.....

Options
it's been one week since I've had any and I've only drank water. I MISS MY DIET SODA!!!!!

Man, this is so hard for me - I love soda!

Replies

• VialOfDreams
    Options
    Good job on eliminating soda! Keep it up!!! You can do it!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Good Job! ... Your doing great.

Maybe try some flavor add Crystal light packets or even slices of lemon or lime to your water... I know for me plain water gets boring!!
  • nseuell
    nseuell Posts: 110
    Options
    I have done the same thing, however, to get through it, I allow myself to have it with my two cheat meals a week...it helps me feel less deprived! I am trying to take it down to once a week :tongue:
  • MissTizz
    MissTizz Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - except I don't even drink diet soda!!!!

I don't think that much - and I've quit before - I don't know if you have ever quit before but the truth is -- in no time at all, soda will actually start to taste weird.

What I mean is - if you quit soda, in a month or so, a sip would taste sugary, and kind of gross.

Do you enjoy water? I try and make water as exciting as I can - getting a cup I like, add some lemon.... chew on ice chips! :)
  • LNiv32
    LNiv32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You've taken the first step. It will get easier and soon you won't even think about drinking a soda! Keep it up. You can do it!
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    think of the positives! you're doing fantastic you're not dependant on it and you're no longer taking in as much formaldehyde. :D yay!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I replaced soda with apple juice because I found that juice was still sugary enough. Eventually I was able to replace that with simply water - now I only drink water, skim milk, or chocolate soy milk.

Congratulations on deciding to give up soda! After a few weeks without it, you'll wonder how you ever drank it in the first place! :)
  • cwuenschel
    cwuenschel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good job so far! It's super hard but so worth it! You can always treat yourself to one soda when you're out to eat so you don't feel like you'll NEVER get it again. But not getting it for home or at work will be sooo beneficial.
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! I am having a terrible time trying to give up my one 20oz Diet Dr. Pepper a day.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is as bad, if not worse than the full strength sugar versions. When you think about whats in a Diet Drink, its nothing but chemicals....The jury is still out on what the effects will be on our bodies....

having said that, I have to sadly admit I love my Coke Zero and want it daily. I have been trying to kick that habit too..... its next on the list to go!!
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you too. Trying to drink less diet soda, and then eventually none. So far I'm trying to cut down my daily intake a little each week.
  • sarahnay
    sarahnay Posts: 1
    Options
    you should try the flavored bubbly water.they sell it at safeway and have lots of different flavors! it has that bubbly you might miss lol good luck! crystal light packets has some really yummy flavors too that you can add to your water :)
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    This is a great health goal! Props!
  • shar2501m
    Options
    OMG!!! I gave up soda too. Its been 73 days :D Eventually you stop craving it as much. Its funny last year I drank like atleast 2 cans of Dr Pepper a day and usually drank some Sprite for dinner, now I only drink tea and water :) Feels great.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Best thing I ever did for my health, aside from all the running and eating right!!! Nearing my 2 year anniversary since letting go of my Diet Coke addiction and I am so happy! Took me about six weeks to not want it anymore, but it was worth all the sacrifice, I don't even want it anymore!!!
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Keep up the good work!
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    That is one of the best things you could have done for yourself - if you miss the carbonation why not try some seltzer - it is sodium free too - I like the lemon lime flavor.
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    This is one thing I haven't given up yet...I love my diet dr. pepper! But, I try to not drink it very much and I do drink green tea and crystal light to try and curb the craving.
  • glcarr65
    glcarr65 Posts: 74
    Options
    I was a huge Dt Coke drinker. I decided in January I was giving up soda. I tried doing it last year but it did not work.
    I could not believe how easy it was this year, not really sure why it was easier, maybe I just made up my mind...

Since January I have had maybe 1 or 2 sodas... I do not even crave it anymore.. I have been drinking a lot of green tea and crystal light....

Good Luck to you