Vegas Trip...what to eat?

Options
I've been on MFP for two weeks and so far lost 4-5lbs for these last 2 thanks to eating right and exercising, however I'm scared because I'm taking a trip out to Vegas soon. I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas of what to eat out there on the strip? I'm going to take snacks so I dont get overwhelmed with all the foods. I didn't go from 208 down to 165 for nothing...lol. Help! :)

Replies

• nantzh
    nantzh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Seafood. I love it and it is pretty low on the calories. Broild, Grilled, Blackened, Baked, whatever, it all tastes great.
    Also dont forget about the salads. With all the buffets it really shouldnt be too hard to find healthy food.
    Also try not to use up all your calories on the free booze.
  • nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    Options
    i think the only advice is to have discipline.... almost all restaurants give an option to the fries side order etc....
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I know what NOT to eat: don't go to any buffet place!

Here are some Diet Tip - eating out, on my blog:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/atomdraco?month=201102
  • Larry7995
    Larry7995 Posts: 55
    Options
    There is a Chipotle Grill :)
    One place I ate was Morels French Steakhouse at the Palazzo. Small portions and high prices but it was an experience!
    Some good seafood buffets around.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You have lost enough weight that you likely already know what to do! I've got a Vegas trip planned in 6 weeks myself and am not worried at all.
    You can eat what you want but just keep in mind those portion sizes! I don't deprive myself of anything, but may just have one taste, or share with a friend, if it is something calorific.
    I travel a fair bit and always eat breakfast in my room. I keep grapefruit, bananas, and milk and cereal in my hotel fridge whenever I travel. Meals in Vegas are so huge that I always save my leftovers for the next days lunch. This keeps my food costs down and helps me stay within my daily calorie limit.
    Now lets talk about the alcohol . . . I personally plan to save my calories for this on my trip . . . you only live once!
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    Already been said - stay away from buffets! Go for baked fish, baked chicken, salads (although high in sodium most places) or pack some snacks from home - granola bars travel good! If nothing else they will help hold you over until you can find the right foods to eat!
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    Always get veggies as your side dish - ask for no butter or butter on the side.

Always ask for salad dressings and sauces on the side.

Ask for no salt on stuff!! Restaurant food has SO much sodium!

Try to eat as healthy as you can when you're not actively going to a restaurant - ask for a fridge in your hotel room and find a grocery store! You'll save tons of money AND calories if you can figure out ways to keep at least breakfast items on hand. (Hotel continental breakfasts can be really hit or miss) I'd stock up on fruit, hardboiled eggs, instant oat meal (even though its not as healthy as quick or steel cut, hotel rooms all have coffee pots that you can use to heat water).
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    My advice would be to get up a little early and see if either your hotel has a gym you could use or take a walk/jog outside. The weather will be gorgous and if you can get in a good hour each morning of cardio you can stress a lot less about what your calorie intake is looking like. Definately stay away from the buffetts IF you don't think you can control yourself! But on the other hand you can make healthy choices at a buffet, they always have fresh fruits awesome salads and fish or baked chicken. (just put your blinders on around the mac n cheese and desserts!!) Also don't forget its Vegas, unless your going to SIT and gamble the entire time you will be out walking around for hours, just don't walk around with the 3 foot drinks!! :bigsmile: Make sure you carry lots of water with you AND you can always ask the servers for a bottle of water INSTEAD of a free drink! :flowerforyou:
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Always get veggies as your side dish - ask for no butter or butter on the side.

Always ask for salad dressings and sauces on the side.

Ask for no salt on stuff!! Restaurant food has SO much sodium!

Try to eat as healthy as you can when you're not actively going to a restaurant - ask for a fridge in your hotel room and find a grocery store! You'll save tons of money AND calories if you can figure out ways to keep at least breakfast items on hand. (Hotel continental breakfasts can be really hit or miss) I'd stock up on fruit, hardboiled eggs, instant oat meal (even though its not as healthy as quick or steel cut, hotel rooms all have coffee pots that you can use to heat water).

All great ideas! BUT Bring a coffee pot they no longer have them in most rooms(they want you to come down to Starbucks and spend $$)
    My daughter is diabetic and since we need to keep her insulin cold the hotels will bring in a small fridge if you request one.
    AND YES they do have grocery stores in Vegas!! :bigsmile: Great idea to go back to the room freshen up have a nice healthy lunch. MAN NOW I WANT TO GO TO VEGAS!! :tongue:
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Vegas has more places to eat than you could ever imagine. The choices there are going to be overwhelming. But on the good side, Vegas is very pedestrian friendly and you will walk your butt off. I don't know what your normal daily activity is like but be prepared to walk at least 5 miles a day on top of whatever exercise you do.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, but what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, including calories!! It's my number one vacation spot. I've probably been there 15 times.

Have a blast!!!
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, but what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, including calories!! It's my number one vacation spot. I've probably been there 15 times.

Have a blast!!!

LOL I so agree with that! You've lost a lot of weight so take this time and enjoy yourself. With that being said there are a lot of healthy choices at the buffets as well, fish, veggies and fruit. You will be doing a lot of walking and most of the hotels have very nice gyms and spas. I go there once a year for work and usualy run/jog down Las Vegas BLVD early in the morning. Watching people doing the "walk of shame" at that hour is a very entertaining way to start your day. But have a good time, you've reaned it! If you gain a few pounds it's probably water weight from alchohol, restaurant food (high sodium) and being on the plane. It will probably fall back off in less than a week once you return to your routine.
  • Arielnesika
    Arielnesika Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Sushi! I hear it's the best there.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    showgirls are yummy and low calorie if prepared right :laugh:
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options

Too many artificial ingredients :tongue:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

Too many artificial ingredients :tongue:

Thats the strippers the showgirls are actually lean with no boob jobs or anything.
    I cant say whats best to eat,but I lived there for 6 years and could probobly give you some advice on shows and stuff
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I just came back from Vegas. I considered it a spiked weekend. And since gains or fluctuations don't sway my motivation, debauchery was pretty much the only thing on my plate. :laugh:
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Steven Wynn is a vegan now, his hotel restaurants all have vegan options. I would eat at his hotels....even his buffets have yummy vegan options....
  • lotrisneat
    lotrisneat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I would skip the Cheesecake Factory. :laugh:
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice everyone! I will be looking out for those salads, chicken, and nooo buffets! lol Also snacks to and from Vegas will really help me out. Coffee will also help me to crave less, or at least its helped me in the past. Can't wait for the trip at the end of the month. For those of you going out there, have fun!! :)