More than DOUBLE DAILY SODIUM!!!

Options
O - M - G.........

I *thought* I was making a great recipe. Turkey sausage, french green beans and sauerkraut. It was indeed low calorie, but even though 2 servings were only 273 calories, the sodium for 2 servings was over 3,000!!! :noway:

UGH!!!

:explode: :explode: :explode:

Replies

• kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Oh my that is so annoying! I cook nearly everything myself and this happens a lot. I think I've made a healthy choice, log it, calories looks great and then I see the incredibly high sodium. I've started to log it first anymore, just to check it out and read the labels of everything. Recently I changed my intake to 1500 in my food diary but it's so hard to keep it down. Being already hypertension with blood pressure, got to get this sodium under control. Good luck to you:)
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I LOATHE sodium. I find I have a hard time controlling it and controlling my calorie/fat and still come under. It's incredibly hard. I turned it off this last week because I was stressing to the point of not eating because I kept going over my sodium. Which was causing me more harm than good.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    To reduce the sodium in that meal:
    - use frozen green beans--they generally have little or no salt.
    - rinse the sour kraut??? first (it might help)
    - if an salt is called for in the recipe, use herbs (italian seasoning, or something else that has no salt)
    - use low sodium meat in the recipe (not deli meat or sausage)

Do you think that might help? Good luck. :drinker: (lots of water)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If the green beans were canned, those plus sauerkraut will equal a TON of sodium, as you already found out. Anything canned will have way too much sodium, always stick with fresh. And unfortunately, things like sauerkraut, pickles, etc. have incredible amounts of sodium. Always check labels and try to input a recipe before you actually make it so you can see all the nutritional info.
  • Mahlissa
    Mahlissa Posts: 128
    Options
    EEEgads! Sounds like a great recipe. I have become so sensitive to sodium it's awful. I have learned to cook with only Ms. Dash vegetable seasoning, pepper or garlic only. Maybe next time you can find the culprit ingredient that added all the sodium, was it the turkey sausauge? Good luck and keep on home cooking, way better than boxed or canned foods :smile:
  • leadvocalchick
    leadvocalchick Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I had challenged myself to NOT eat any pre-packaged meals this week.

I just checked out the ENTIRE recipe....the outrageous sodium in this is a combo of EVERYTHING!! I was so excited about making something so low in calories, I didn't let my eyes wander to the other columns. Lesson learned!!

I see lots and lots of water in my future!!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: