Shin Splints

Options
Hi All! I love to challenge myself with running, but I'm flat footed and get shin splints very easily. I have good shoes, but I still seem to get them. Is there a good way to prevent getting them? If I do get them, do I have to quit running until they're healed? I really want to get back to running regularly, but I don't want to keep hurting myself. Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    try running and walking instead of just the running, and try running on grass if possible
  • krisnshan
    krisnshan Posts: 41
    Options
    Try some really good running shoes and insoles! I am trying brooks right now and they were about $100 but well worth it thus far, I want to try the reebok zigs. Have heard nothing but good things about them. Wish you the best of luck! The insoles are well worth the money run about 25 bucks at finish line for a great pair and are cheaper than the cortisone shots I was getting!! Good luck!
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    check out the sig ;)
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am flat footed and shoes can make a difference but in my expierence they have made little its all about the insoles. If you want to go crazy you can get you some $60 that make you feel like running on a cloud or I go for the $15 for atheletic shoes that give you heel support and help create an arch in your foot
  • bmreed0920
    bmreed0920 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I went to a specialty store that fitted me with shoes for running. I only wear them when I manage to get myself out there. I havent gotten shin splints since I got them. They take a video of you running, measue the pressure in you feet, the heigth of your arch and then fit you with a shoe that will make you feel like your walking on air. I love my shoes. They do it for free if you buy the shoes. Mine cost about $85. It was so worth it though. Also try to stretch them out as soon as they start to hurt. Hope that helps.
  • LazyMogg
    LazyMogg Posts: 162
    Options
    There's some useful advice here about shin splints: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints.htm

Also, I get a lot of pain on the tops of my feet and use these special insoles to correct over-pronation: http://www.footinsoles.co.uk/pronation.htm which do help quite a bit.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You're a newbie runner, right? Shin splints are a very common occurrence when you just start running. Your muscles and connective tissue will eventually strengthen to support the pounding that running does to the body.

I like the suggestion of running/walking, and doing so on dirt, grass or the track. I run on the street, but I don't advise that -- you really have to keep your eyes/ears peeled for traffic.

Also, here's another tip: Focus on running lightly, NOT pounding the pavement. Think, "nice and polite" when running -- that's what an old track coach used to say.
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    check out the sig ;)

Great tip! I just did a rep now! Hopefully this will also help with my sore ankles!
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    To go along with bexdc's advice of running lightly, and in a complete different direction from the insole/special-shoe suggestions, check out barefoot running. Humans evolved to run barefoot, not with weird shoes effecting how our weight comes down on our feet. Our bodies are meant to distribute our weight and the pressure throughout our bodies, naturally. It isn't for everyone, but is something to check out. Vibram makes "Five Fingers" which are shoes that protect your feet while allowing you to run "barefoot," in that they are very light (feel more like watershoes), and have individual toe spaces. Barefoot running is "lighter" than regular running, and you are more on the soles, not on your heels (no heel strikes). Checkout the wikipedia page for Barefoot Running--it has some interesting, basic info.
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for all the input!
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You're a newbie runner, right? Shin splints are a very common occurrence when you just start running. Your muscles and connective tissue will eventually strengthen to support the pounding that running does to the body.

I like the suggestion of running/walking, and doing so on dirt, grass or the track. I run on the street, but I don't advise that -- you really have to keep your eyes/ears peeled for traffic.

Also, here's another tip: Focus on running lightly, NOT pounding the pavement. Think, "nice and polite" when running -- that's what an old track coach used to say.

Well, I'm not exactly a "new runner." :-) I started running about three years ago, and then took some time off while I was pregnant, and now have been at it again for about a year. It's just a problem I've always had, and it's frustrating since I feel like I lose all my progress when I have to stop and let them heal. Thanks for the suggestions on "light running."