I'm within my calories & gaining weight

Options
Hello! Can anyone make sense of this?

I am eating 2000 cals or less per day! My BMR is 2500
I excercise daily, however I have gained 3kg in the last week!! How is this possible??

The scales are accurate as they are body building comp scales in the gym!!

The other wierd thing is I look more ripped too! People have been asking if I have lost weight!? strange...

any suggestions?

Replies

• jaysp87
    jaysp87 Posts: 32
    Options
    Few things.

Drink more water.
    Consume less sodium.
    You gained some muscle.
  • JMatGam
    JMatGam Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you're building muscle, I wouldn't worry too much.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat & takes up less space, so it's possible you've been losing fat & losing inches & the increased muscle is why the scale hasn't moved :o) keep it up & give it time, soon i'm sure you'll see results because muscle burns more than fat does by simply existing. maybe increase your water, protein, & fiber. good luck!
  • jameskirkbride
    Options
    Thanks!

I drink 3 liters of water minimum per day as I am so active
    & I don't think I have gained 3 KG of muscle in a week ... I don't think that is even possible on steroids?

I could reduce salts!!

would upping carbs increase weight so drastically? as I am adding more carbs as I am starting an endurance programme for a 2 week trekking expedition.
  • nicolette311
    Options
    I agree with the others, less sodium more water, and muscle gain will keep you the same weight or add some. Take your measurements every few weeks too. Even if you've gained weight, but only gained muscle, your measurements will shrink even if your weight is a bit more. This is a good thing! Trust me, keep on keepin on, you'll see the results! Also, watch your sugar intake too. Fruits and fruit drinks, and low calorie items can be really deceiving. Veggies are your best friend right now! Get a bit of protein in there, and get your cardio on! Good luck!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    the scale is what I call the "greasy car salesman" of the weight loss world, they only tell you half the story get measurements of the chest, waist, arms, neck, and thighs/calves you will see the changes there even if the scale does not show it, remember that muscle gain can offset or even override fat loss and more muscle will burn more fat every day. Just remember that what comprises the cals you choose to eat will influence results greatly.
  • imogenboo
    imogenboo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You probably are just building muscle and losing fat, which is always a plus but can add pounds to the scale! Maybe get a fat percentage scale and use that which will tell you how much of your body is fat and what is muscle, which is a more accurate reading of your health. You can use measurements as well, just google fat body percentage and you'll find a ton of calculators.
  • bdgstone1
    bdgstone1 Posts: 18
    Options
    All of the above PLUS don't forget to change your weight and then your goals in MFP....

Odd as it may seem, again, unless you are trying to put ON some mass, you need LESS calories as you lose weight.

My net cals were up at 2200 when i started and now its 1440...and I lost 82 lbs (havent weighed in this week yet).

You need to re adjust your current weight and then the goals in the MFP app for it to accurately keep you losing weight.

4332622.png
  • nicolette311
    Options
    it's definitely the carbs too, darlin, there's a delicate balance you want to have on those. If you use the food tracker on here, it's really easy to keep an eye on everything. :)
  • camilla75
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat...Unless you are grossly obese you may gain pounds but are at the same time losing inches! Try measuring yourself at the hips, waist and chest each week along with your weekly weigh in!
  • trrush58
    trrush58 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me when I started intense excersing. I only dropped a few pounds but in no time I was fit into my jeans that I could not wear before. As stated above I was building muscle. I vary so much on the scale that I tend to not worry about it so much anymore. I know is it difficult...I used to weigh myself daily and would be upset when I did not lose what I thought I should. Now I just tell myself it is important to continue for my health and I will see results in other places rather than the scale. Hang in there!!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 2500

Unless you weigh upwards of 350lbs, there's no way your BMR is 2500. I suspect you meant that your estimated daily calorie burn is 2500.

Did you recently start working out, or start working out harder than before? This could have added some water weight.
  • jameskirkbride
    Options
    I guess we will see what happens next week!?

I need to get my body into carbs for energy!

I was sitting at 105kg hapily But shot up to 108kg

as an idea I do 1 hrs cardio daily, weights at least 3 times a week ... Climbing 2 times per week & 2 X 14 mile hikes at the weekend!!

such a weight gain is strange ... it could just be my body storing carbs as it not so used to them as I have been high protein for a while.
  • jameskirkbride
    Options
    No worked out hard since I was 15!!

I have never had an issue like this before, I use MFP to track diet, however my diet is pretty tight!!
    Additinal carbs is the only change I have made to my programme! Bu 3 KG one week!! is it worth it?? But I don't have a choice!! It is just strange that I have gained weight but look leaner!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    It is just strange that I have gained weight but look leaner!

Strange perhaps, but if you look leaner and feel good, who cares what the damn scale says :smile:
  • danyelle67
    danyelle67 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Nicolette you are so right! I have been working out and doing zumba every other day for 5x a week but not eating properly. The one day I checked carbs on everything I ate which was not alot I was still hungry, and boy what an eye opener. So now I started myfitnesspal and I am getting an enlightment on carbs! I seriously think that is my problem too many carbs!!! I hope I can correct this or I was also going to try weight watchers. So confused, I ended up putting weight on and working out hard :( Thanks for your post!!!

Danielle
    goal 15 - 20 lbs by summer
    age 44
  • jameskirkbride
    Options
    I do because I want to shed 20KG so I don't have to lug it across the UK on an expedition in summer when I have a 30kg backpack on!!! *lol*

I'm guessing my body will get used to the extra carbs I have introduced & settle fown in the next week or so?

But the striations on my arms are looking nice, I might wear a vest in the gym! :)

it's annoying though!!
  • Mandie_Sifers
    Options
    Muscle weights more than fat. So you have lost inches due to less fat and increased muscle! Great job!
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have gained 3 KG of muscle in a week ...

It's highly unlikely you gained 3KG of fat either. Weight fluctuates depending on salt intake, how strenuous your workouts are, and what time of day you weigh yourself. Odds are it was mostly water weight.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates. Increased carb intake can play somewhat of a role in how much weight will fluctuate, but in the long run, the body will adjust and go back to losing weight as long as you maintain the proper deficit of calories for weight loss. Don't sweat it. Plus, from experience, drastic increased fluctuations are usually accompanied by the same type of decreased fluctuations. Keep your regimen for another week and see if it hasn't tapered out to a steady line of weight loss or weight gain.