Emotional eaters.

Options
I have figured out that I am a very emotional eater. I'm also a very bored eater. Even if i'm not hungry, I'll eat. What can I do to change that?

Replies

• autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    Get busy lol....
  • kalebsmama07
    Options
    bump
  • ladonne73
    ladonne73 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I will be watching this post closely, as I am a serious EMOTIONAL eater!!! Ugh. :grumble:
  • Arynamber
    Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am too.. and it sounds crazy.. but everytime I feel like eating I clench my fist really hard.. then I make green tea and drink that as I come on here .. usually that helps
  • hillarydk
    Options
    I am the SAME WAY! I LITERALLY have to talk to myself OUTLOUD! For instance, currently in my refridgerator are some chocolate covered peanut clusters....ARGG so tempting! "Is it worth it?" Is what I tell myself the most!
    -Hope this helps-
  • tsmom1128
    tsmom1128 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think that there are a lot of us on here that are just as you are. We just all need to stick together and remember that we are not alone. Try a chat with someone. I know that what I have started doing is if I;m hungry, i'll start a load of laundry, or wash the dishes... something to get my mind off of food. And for when you are emotional... I suggest you check out the success story board and check out the pics... then think to yourself... "Don't I want that to be me? If I eat cuz I;m angry/pissed/hurt/sad, then I won't be able to post amazing pics of myself when I get my mini goals met!" So far, I have done it for the past couple of days, and it has worked for me.

hope this helps.

GOOD LUCK HUN!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Some key things I have found/others I know have used:

Find another outlet for stress. Exercise, a bubble bath, phoning a friend. Work on coping skills.

Try getting some counselling if you know there are issues you need to work on. Asking for help is powerful.

Talk about the it with people close to you and come up with some tools and strategies.

Forgive yourself and move on when you mess up.

Keep a journal or blog of your progress and struggles.

Cut time in front of the television down and get out of the house.

Join a weight loss support group. (MFP may also serve this purpose)
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    When I realized I was an emotional eater, I was sooo Upset I went out and ATE. I rationalized it and became Happy that I finally knew I was an emotional eater sooo I went out and Ate some more. I got pissed and said I was going to live in the middle, that was Boring sooo I went out and ate some more.

Oh My, I HAVE an EATING PROBLEM, if I want to LIVE, I had better recognize/DO something about THAT...Cause LIFE ain't going to Change for ME.
    "That which fall by the way side easily IS NOT the Struggle." REMEMBER: The Struggle/Challenge is There to CHANGE YOU/Me!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I have been an emotional eater all my life. And it's a tough thing to deal with. After my youngest left for the Navy and then deployed, I ate back 30 pounds that I had lost within 2 years. So now, I'm on that journey back. The worries are constant, the depression was bad (but dealing with it now). And the stress of worrying isn't going away antime soon. So I deal with it by doing some charity work thru the Adopt A Sailor program along with my full time job. Also, when I feel the need to start grazing, I will leave the kitchen and sometimes the house entirely.
  • scottlaurie
    Options
    I used to be in the same boat so I know how you feel. Normally you eat in an attempt to make yourself fell better, but in the end you only make yourself feel worse. The have taken the first step by acknowledgiing the problem, the next step is the hardest, doing something about it. Unfortunately no amount of words I will say will make you, YOU have to want it.

The process itself is very simple when you think about it. Replace the behaviour with another behaviour. For example, when you feel sad, depressed, unhappy etc instead of opening the fridge or cupboard, put on your joggers and go for a walk. Now I hear those thoughts in your head, but what if its raining or snowing or cold, or hot. They are just excuses that stop you from trying, they are the old you. The are always alternatives, go to the gym, out on an exercise DVD and do it, buy an exercise machine for indoors.

YOU make the commitment, and I guarentee you after 1 month you will feell better about yourself emotionally, mentally and physically.