yawning during exercise

Options
does anyone know why everytime i start to exercise, i yawn for about the first 20 minutes or so? i'm not tired when i start so i'm not sure why i yawn so much when i start to exercise.

Replies

• CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Your body is trying to get more oxygen. I do it all the time while working out, and always have...
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I do this too. A LOT. I saw Apolo Anton Ohno doing this all the time before all of his races. It's supposed to relax you and also get more oxygen into your system. IDK?
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    This especially happens to me during yoga. Lack of oxygen.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time no matter if I am tired or not!
    So embarrassing lol
    I have heard it is because of not breathing properly and not getting enough oxygen.
    My boot camp instructor always told us to press our tongue up against the roof of our mouth to help breath properly.
  • jameskirkbride
    Options
    Hmmmm!! Yawning = not enough oxygen!! However I have never had this issue!!

They are contagious though :)

Maybe you could be in need of iron? as this would help you with red blood cells & let your body carry more oxygen, Just a thought OR maybe your breathing technique is not quite right?
  • patrickkallie
    Options
    I used to do this in the past because I would not eat properly before I would exercise. I started eating snacks before I workout and I don't have that problem anymore.
  • siac1325
    siac1325 Posts: 4
    Options
    thanks for all the helpful insight. :)
  • Jon_Rod
    Jon_Rod Posts: 158
    Options
    does anyone know why everytime i start to exercise, i yawn for about the first 20 minutes or so? i'm not tired when i start so i'm not sure why i yawn so much when i start to exercise.

OMG!! I thought I was the only one....HAHAHA
    Im glad Im not....
  • jlopez87
    jlopez87 Posts: 22
    Options
    I do that too sometimes! I do think everyone is right, it's from a lack of oxygen. Drinking water might help with this - sip water during exercise though don't gulp it down (I've made that mistake!!)
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    Options
    I do it all the time too and worry that people think I'm lazy!! Glad it's not just me :laugh: