Fat Mind

Options
Hello All. So, I kind of just need to "vent" for a second. I have been working really hard to work towards my fitness and health goals, AND I'VE BEEN SUCCESSFUL with little to no "splurge" days or days where I go back to bad habits (like overeating without balancing a workout to counteract). This sound great except that lately I've been noticing that my mind will still sometimes get stuck in what I like to call "Fat Girl Mode". I've never been (and still am not) someone who beats herself up or gets super self-conscious beyond reason, but even 55lbs down (so far), I find myself sometimes noticing little things on my body that aren't toning as well as I'd like them to or comparing myself to other people in the gym who are maybe running faster than I am.
It's like my mind isn't really catching up to my body in some instances. I was overweight for so long and had gotten so used to looking like that, that NOW in my newer more fit and still making progress body, I get moments where it's difficult to let myself recognize that I am WAY smaller and that my body is extremely athletic and that I am on the downward slope of my weight loss goals.
Does anyone else have this issue? Your body is changing, and you recognize that you are AMAZING and making tremendous progress, but your mind is just still sluggish to catch up with being fully aware of how far you've come and how GREAT you look and how FIT you really are?
Just some thoughts! :) I appreciate the responses!

Replies

• Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Options
    Yep! I have the same issue :ohwell:

there are days were I see "skinny" me and there are days where all i see is the places that still need toning. :blushing:

I think part of it because we look at ourselves every day and don't see the changes until we see it in photos or other people comment on it.

Weight loss is a physical and emotional journey and I think the physical happens quicker then the mental one. :flowerforyou:
  • jax5103
    jax5103 Posts: 19
    Options
    I feel like that sometimes....before I found MFP I had already lost about 30 pounds and looked and felt way better than I had before. However, I fixate. I fixate on areas of my body that have what I like to call "hail damage." I also have stretch marks on my stomach from when I was pregnant (which is how I gained a ton of weight in the first place) that I will stare at every night before I go to bed. Its awful! I know I look good, and feel good, but I know those imperfections are there. They bother me and I don't know how to get over it.....but I do know EXACTLY what you are saying!

Jax
  • faeryluvr
    faeryluvr Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There are some days where I'll look in the mirror (usually if I'm in a bad mood and I'm getting dressed) and starting ridiculing myself... not really talking to myself though since I'm addressing my fat like it's a person when I do it lol. After that I try and give myself a pep talk and give myself a lecture to push a little harder the following day/week and I find every week so far I do better than the week before.

That's just me though, my friends get a kick out of it when I tell them about my discussion with my fat and so do I when I think of it lol.