No one responded in Fitness so I'm trying here.

Options
I know there's a million threads about 30 day shred so instead of focusing on that... I did the workout for about 7 days and my feet/ankle area became very sore. Thinking some kind of stress fracture. I wear good shoes and do the workouts the correct way so I'm wondering if there's something I can do instead of the jumping jacks/jump rope that will still push my heart rate. Those moves caused the most pain.

Replies

• sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I cannot do the jumping jacks - at this point in time my knees and feet just won't allow me to do it. I do my arms like a regular jumping jack and lift one leg at a time out to the side as far as I can. If I'm feeling really energetic - I hop a little. But I can't jump at this point. Maybe it'll work for you???
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You could try mountain climbers or burpies. I'm not sure if they will hurt you but they will be a little less impact and still get your heart rate up.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Try squat jumps. Squat down, then spring up into the air. land gently then squat down a again, repeat...do it as fast as you can. Either that or you you do those punches for all the cardio segments, she says it's good for if you have a lower body injury and still want to get your heart rate up.
  • josavage
    Options
    You could also do the modified jumping jack. You don't jump. Still do the arm movements but instead of jumping out with both feet, just tap one heel to the side and back and alternate. It's less impact.
  • pdcarrell
    pdcarrell Posts: 101
    Options
    what are Mountain climbers and burpies? I'm on Day 6 in the am and I have trouble with the back to back jumping jacks and rope jacks then rope but I give it my all and pause for a brief 5 sec like she says when I have to! I'm still a little sore all over but no pain no gain right?
  • mowrynation
    Options
    Eliptical is low impact... don't know if you have one available or not..
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I jump on my elliptical for 2 mins, or jog in place, or punch it out. Jumping jacks caused shin splints for me- and i have good shoes. :smile:
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    I just started. After the first day my feet were hurting as well. So I modified the moves a little. For jumping jacks, I raise my arms just like a regular jumping jack, but instead of jumping, I step to the side with one leg, come back to the middle and step to the side with the other leg. I do it quickly, so it keeps my heart rate up. Does that make sense. I hope I explained it right. For jumping rope, i still move my arms, but I just kinda jog in place. Hopefully I'll get stronger in the next few days and go back to doing them the other way. Hope that helps!
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Jumping jacks on a mini trampoline?
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Take a look at level two. She has a few cardio moves in that set that dont include the jumping...like the modified plank exercises...I want to say the name, but I cant remember what they are called! Just take a look at the video and watch Anita do them, maybe those would help you out. Gosh....I should be able to remember the name, she pounds them into my head almost every day!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I cannot do Shred either because it kills my knee & ankles. Stick to the low impact version. It won't get your heart rate up as high, but it is something. I recently started Jillian Michaels Last Chance Workout and am loving it. Still sticking to the low impact, but still burning more calories on cardio days then I was on 30 Day Shred. Toning days I don't burn as many calories and you do 3 days cardio & 3 days toning. Only on day 2, but am loving it. Worth $9.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    run up and down the stairs
  • rks6902
    rks6902 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in both of my feet, not ankles but feet so lots of impact sports aggravate it. I do the arm movements and a lite jog in place instead of jumping.
  • nbibb851
    nbibb851 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I usually jog in place or do one of the other cardio routines with the video (like punches). You could probably do some front or side kicks to replace them as well.
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. I can tell you about my little experience with the 30 day shred. A couple of months ago I decided to do the video with no shoes on. Well, the next day both of my ankles (on the inside of them) were killing me. They weren't getting better after about a week (especially my right ankle) so I went to the dr. He said I did something to my tendon. I had to take a break from impact workouts for a couple of weeks for it to heal. I also iced them 3 times a day and did some exercises that they dr told me to do for them. They are better now. Do you think you injured your ankles or they are just sore from not working out or something (wasn't sure if you were working out before starting this)?

If you are going to keep doing it, I would just keep moving as fast as you can while she is doing the jumping jacks and jump rope. Maybe do squats, side lunges, stuff with your arms...anything to just keep moving. Does running in place hurt? Maybe try that. I'm sorry I'm not much help, LOL!!!
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Try squat jumps. Squat down, then spring up into the air. land gently then squat down a again, repeat...do it as fast as you can. Either that or you you do those punches for all the cardio segments, she says it's good for if you have a lower body injury and still want to get your heart rate up.

Punches is a good idea. In Level 3 she has you hold your weights while doing the punches. It gets your heart racin' and your arms burnin'!
  • josavage
    Options
    We did these in high school. I hate them but they get my heart rate up.

Mountain Climber: Begin in a pushup position on the hands and toes. Bring the right knee in towards the chest, resting the foot on the floor. Jump up and switch feet in the air, bringing the left foot in and the right foot back. Continue alternating the feet as fast as you safely can for 30-60 seconds.

Burpee: Begin in a squat position with hands on the floor in front of you. Kick your feet back to a pushup position. Immediately return your feet to the squat position. Leap up as high as possible from the squat position. Repeat, moving as fast as possible.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Do modified jumping jacks and skipping where you don't jump.

Modified jumping jacks involve stepping to the side with one foot while doing the arm motions, then stepping to the other side.

Modified skipping simply means you do slow-to-moderately paced knees-up while doing the arm movements. You can also slowly-to-moderately kick your feet into your butt and do the skipping arm movement to work other muscles in your legs. Too, you can moderately step your right foot to the right and then your left foot to the left (like a V-step) and back in again while doing the arm movements.

Too you might consider doing quick squats while using the jumping jack and skipping arms. The key is to get creative with your feet and legs without the high intensity and you'll still work your muscles and burn calories.
  • amohon
    amohon Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I know there's a million threads about 30 day shred so instead of focusing on that... I did the workout for about 7 days and my feet/ankle area became very sore. Thinking some kind of stress fracture. I wear good shoes and do the workouts the correct way so I'm wondering if there's something I can do instead of the jumping jacks/jump rope that will still push my heart rate. Those moves caused the most pain.

I also have had the same problem I went to the dr. and they told me that I had over worked my tendions in my ankles and I had to take it easy on the ankles but not to stop my workout. Hope this helped. I would get it checked out
  • JCGilbert
    JCGilbert Posts: 33
    Options
    Do you have low arches or flat feet? My daughter has flat feet and her ankles pronate inward. Without an orthotic insert in her shoes her ankles would be in pain and cramp sometimes. Left untreated, her misaligned stance would lead to knee and hip pain. A podiatrist can create a custom pair of orthotics, but at a high cost. Dr. Scholl's make them over the counter. Much more affordable.