problems with food (calories and sodium)

Options
When I first started this site, I had no problems with my food. Now that I am almost a month in I am having issues hitting my calories for the day. Like tonight, after I ate all my meals for the day, I had like 1000 calories left to eat. I had to force myself to eat a bowl of cereal (2.3 servings) to go over the min of 1200 calories. If still finished the day with over 400 calories remaining. Am I the only one that is having issues hitting the min about of calories a day? Another issue that I am having is I always go over on my sodium. Today was the best day, I only went over like 159 mg. But I still went over. I had so much water weight that my ankles hurt today. Does anyone have any suggestions that would help me reach a min of 1200 calories and reducing my sodium at the same time? I drink plenty of water. Water is all i drink. Should I eat more earlier in the day and have a lighter dinner or what? I just have so much to lose and I dont want to be derailed or get unmotivated. All suggestions are welcome and needed.

Replies

• WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Well in regards to the sodium, you will have to cut out the processed meat. Turkey is a good source of lean protein - but processed turkey is LOADED with sodium. I would try to eat six meals a day. And you can add more calorie dense foods like almond butter and whole grains.

Hope this helps!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Breakfast should be larger (400 calories is what I do), snack throughout the day, even when you don't feel hungry, you have to feed yourself. A hardboiled egg, carrots, fruit...you should eat something every 3 hours. I also plan dinner out so I know what I have to eat/burn the rest of the day. It is about finding that balance.
  • RachelReady2Run
    RachelReady2Run Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Eating nuts is really helpful for me. I have them as an afternoon snack. They really help with the calories. Actually, when I first joined I had a problem with keeping my calories under 1200 on non workout days because of this.

For sodium, what I do is buy Boar's Head Lower Sodium Turkey... Other brands have a TON of sodium in them. A turkey sandwhich is healthy calorie wise, but they're always hiding stuff in there!!

I'm almost a month in and I'm still trying to figure out how to keep my numbers balanced. I've just started looking at sodium and sugar... its a tricky numbers game. Good luck!! :)
  • ephifer
    ephifer Posts: 3
    Options
    I know what you mean!! There are some days that are hard to make the minimum calorie count, and I definitely think it depends on what I eat that day and if I exercise. I can't see how its healthy for someone to force themselves to eat if they aren't hungry, though. Proteins keep you from being hungry for longer, and carbs (like bread and sugary stuff) make you hungry more often because they are often in really simple sugars. And vegetables are friends (and have low sodium, as long as you don't add salt). A lot of times, "low fat" bought meals supplement in sodium to make them taste better (same for drinks, but you said you stick to water), so that could be it. The best suggestion I can think of is something my dietitian suggested to me: instead of buying premade, easy-to-make meals (I'm a college student, so this was a problem), make a large meal that would feed a family, but then portion it out into tupperware and freeze them, making your own frozen dinners! it works great with spaghetti sauce and thai and sometimes even soups (things that you can make a lot of, but don't always want to try to finish all in one week, if you know what I mean).

Oh, and for making the calorie count, you might try adding some fats, like red meat or yogurt or something. Low fat diets can actually make you depressed!! AND there really isn't any solid scientific data linking high cholesterol with saturated fats (but trans fats really are bad for you). Just watch the calories like you would for anything else you eat!

I really hope this is helpful!!
  • rebrafe
    rebrafe Posts: 64
    Options
    I used to struggle to get the food in to hit 1200 cals, and I have found that especially the healthier you eat - the harder it is. Now, I try to eat low carbs / med fat / high protein, so I am not sure if this will fit with how you are dieting but I will share what works for me. If I need extra calories I always drink a 100% whey protein shake and it not only ups my protein of course, but my calories by about 130/per shake. I sometimes have 3 per day.

On the salt front - I too am challenged in that area - I LOVE salty food and snacks. I now eat unsalted nuts, and as few processed meats and foods as possible, because they are so high in sodium. Check your labels because I have been floored by the amount of salt in some things that you never would have guessed had salt at all! When I salt my food, I use seasalt, mostly because I find it tastes better, it is more natural and I don't use as much because it is so powerful. A little goes a long way!

Good luck on this journey and don't get discouraged - you will get used to foods with less salt and then actually not like it after a while.
  • KatyG0409
    KatyG0409 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was having trouble meeting my calories as well. Feel free to take a look at my diary and see where it started getting better. I added a Whey Protein shake with fresh fruits and berries. This boosted my protein and calories just enough that I am actually able to workout more and longer without tiring! Good luck! Oh and get rid of those processed meats and foods. I don't eat much meat, but I eat tons of fresh fruits, grilled chicken, and veggies. The veggies aren't reflected much in my diary, but I have only been logging for one week and it has been a fruit kind of week for me! Best wishes.

Katy
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I know I need to lay off the processed meats, it will be hard because a sandwich is the easiest meal to eat at work for lunch. I guess that I need to buy some whole birds (turkey and chicken) and make my own meat for sandwiches. I will keep everyone posted on my progress. Add me as a friend if you want to see my progress first hand.