30 Day Schred and weight gain??

Options
**"SHRED not Schred** <-- (I started typing my last name)

Since I've started the 30DS I've gained almost 3 lbs in 2 weeks, a friend of mine said not to worry about it "It has to do with your muscles adjusting to the strain" and that "It would go away eventually."

Is this true? Do you think he was just trying to make me feel better?

It's freaking me out. I doubt it is my diet because nothing has changed as of lately. I ALWAYS lose about 1.3 lbs a week..not GAIN 1.3 a week.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS HAPPEN?

Thank your for your input!
<3

Replies

• roselynsy
    roselynsy Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    im interested in this also
  • pabbott1964
    Options
    If you are excercising you could be gaining muscle and muscle weighs more than fat, so yes you can gain...its more important to look at inches during the first part of any program. I have not lost a ton of weight but I have lost enough in inches that I dropped a clothing size.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    yes, i gained 2 lbs one wk and then gained another 2 lbs the wk after that, by the third wk i was back down and lost 3 lbs. your body is adjusting so your weight will change a bit. good luck!
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yes this is true. When you start and intense workout like that your muscles retain tons of fluid and that shows on the scale. It is water weight and after a few days to a week maybe the fluid will go away. It is normal so don't worry!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I hightly doubt that you have added 2 pounds of muscle mass in two weeks.
    That is a lot of muscle to build.
    I would assume that it's either water weight or fat weight.
    Not to offend anyone.
    People have to bust their butts to put on muscle - and I'm pretty sure that the Shred isn't enough for that.
    (Yes, I have done 30DS along with the rest of her DVD's and am currently working on putting on muscle)
    Make sure that you are eating enough, eating the right foods and exercise you bootie off and the weight will come off.
    Steph:flowerforyou:
  • mentalbeat
    mentalbeat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have also been doing the shred for 8 days now, I had gained weight too. I am not at all worried because I have lost inches. Do you keep a record of hips, waist, chest, arms and thighs... I have been logging mine since starting shred and have lost sizes in all areas, yet gained weight, must be a muscle gain thing..that is the general opinion.
    Just Keep doing what you do and you will lose weight.:smile:
    Good luck.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    If you are excercising you could be gaining muscle and muscle weighs more than fat, so yes you can gain...its more important to look at inches during the first part of any program. I have not lost a ton of weight but I have lost enough in inches that I dropped a clothing size.

Please do not tell someone that muscle weighs more than fat. A pound is a pound is a pound.
    ton of feathers = a ton of bricks....
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weight more than fat. 1lb of muscle = 1lbs of fat = 1lb of oranges = 1 lb of apples. A pound is a pound. However, a 1lb of muscle is smaller in volume than 1 lb of fat, therefore it takes more muscle to fill the area 1 lb of fat would fill. This is why one would weigh more if they developed muscle. So, you may just be developing muscle and filling in the space fat used to fill.

In addition, I agree with muscles retaining fluids, which may also be the cause for your weight gain. :) You should measure yourself (waist, arm, thighs etc.) Your body-fat percentage is accurate, while the scale can be misleading.
  • amberlineilene
    Options
    thank you for your input everyone!
  • jclji4
    jclji4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am on my 3rd week of 30 day shred, and the first week I didn't gain or lose, the second week I gained 1 lb, and this week I have lost 4. I was freaking out too, but what kept me going was that my clothes were fitting looser and last week I was able to get into some jeans that were too small for me 2 weeks prior. So, don't give up.
  • MoonMyst3
    MoonMyst3 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I usually lose weight on a weekly basis (my weigh-ins are Fridays) as well but for the 1st week, I gained 0.8 lb. I was also told it has a lot to do with your muscles holding on to water in the beginning and 'building'/toning muscle which is more dense than fat. I was advised to have patience, as the loss will come. I am on Day 9 today and although I have not weighed myself again, I know that I am losing inches. My clothes are much looser and I can visibly see the change in definition in my legs and waist. Keep on going... it will come. :happy:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Take more note of measurements and how your clothing fits. Unless you are lifting HEAVY weights you aren't building enough lean muscle mass to make a difference in weight. (hate seeing the 'building muscle' thing. It takes a calorie surplus and lots of protein and TESTOSTERONE to build muscle). And this would be heavy weight lifting 2-3 times per week. Not 3-lb or 5-lb weights.

It could be fluid in the muscles or just normal fluctuations. And it could be your body adjusting to the new routine.
  • loseit4ever
    loseit4ever Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I did the Shred for 28 days(I hurt my calf on the 29th and had to stop) and the first two weeks I didn't lose anything. I talked to a friend who is very fitness knowledgeable. He told me a couple of things. 1) you don't build muscle fast enough to account for a gain or even really staying the same over a weeks time. 2) Your muscles retain a lot of fluid during the beginning of a workout like this. The good news was that I hung in there and I lost over 4lbs in my third week. Good luck!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I hightly doubt that you have added 2 pounds of muscle mass in two weeks.
    That is a lot of muscle to build.
    I would assume that it's either water weight or fat weight.
    Not to offend anyone.
    People have to bust their butts to put on muscle - and I'm pretty sure that the Shred isn't enough for that.
    (Yes, I have done 30DS along with the rest of her DVD's and am currently working on putting on muscle)
    Make sure that you are eating enough, eating the right foods and exercise you bootie off and the weight will come off.
    Steph:flowerforyou:

Thank you. I thought I would be the only one to say that. I've been researching a lot on heavy weight lifting and plans are starting (if I can get my butt in gear) to come together.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me the first week. Up 3Lbs! But my closthes are fitting better and my legs feel more toned. So whether it be muscle or temporary fluid retention, something good is happening.
  • MoonMyst3
    MoonMyst3 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I agree with the two ladies who wrote about muscle building. I was using the term 'building' muscle loosely. What I meant (and I think others did as well) is toning existing muscle rather than building new muscle. I've changed my early post to reflect this. Good point ladies. :smile:
  • spajunkie
    spajunkie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their input to this thread. It was a great reminder for me to stay focused.
    I've been feeling very frustrated watching the scale actually go up when I'm used to losing big the first few weeks on a program.
    This thread was a great reminder for me.. so thanks all & keep it up :)
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    Very true:)

Drink more water, it will help!
  • Kimmerz1
    Kimmerz1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I thinks its gaining muscle.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options

No, you are not gaining muscle yet. It takes many weeks of specific targeted training and usually increased eating, not a calorie deficit to add appreciable muscle. The rationale for exercising while dieting is to increase your metabolism and to encourage your body to use fat deposits rather than lean muscle mass to make up the deficit of calories. When you tone existing muscle, however, you cause tears that need to be healed and this causes inflammation. If you are prone to excess inflammation and/or have not reduced sodium intake, you will notice a weight gain because water is very heavy. Toning existing muscle does help reduce inches though, because some of the fat is gone even when you add water weight.