Best protein mix

Options
Hey guys,

Im off this weekend to buy some protein mix. Figure I will stop in at GNC or maybe Walmart, does Walmart carry protein mix???

Any suggestions?

I prefer something I can mix w/ water for on the go needs.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• DisneyBride13
    Options
    Hey guys,

Im off this weekend to buy some protein mix. Figure I will stop in at GNC or maybe Walmart, does Walmart carry protein mix???

Any suggestions?

I prefer something I can mix w/ water for on the go needs.

Thanks in advance
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    i bought Genisoy and love it.
  • vypergrl
    Options
    DON'T go to GNC!!!! I've been buying supplements and weight training for 17 years and GNC is one of THE MOST expensive places you can go for supplements :mad: . One of my protein mixes they sell for 8-10 dollars more than what I pay for it on vitaminshoppe.com, 2hugenutrition.com is also a good website to go to for supplements. :tongue:

I've gone to GNC about three times and two of those times the guy ( and yes he was male) behind the counter tried to sell me a pitch on why their supps were soooo expensive, talking down to me like I didn't know my *kitten* from a hole in the ground. Except he didn't know that I've got years of experience in using supplements.

Either way, IF you are lucky enough to have a vitamin shoppe in your area you're blessed...I wish I did, but the online side is just as nice.

So, long story short, look for a protein that tastes good with water and 2 % milk (syntha-6 is a good one) I also like designer whey (but it is only whey protein, where syntha-6 is a blend of 6 different types of protein :love: )

I could go on for days about this... you're better off looking to supplement companies that have proven themselves-- e.g. been around for a long time/ talk to a nutritionist.
    If you have any more questions feel free to write me and ask.

Cheers and best of luck to you!
    Audry
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Try the EAS whey protein powder at Sam's Club. Probably the most cost-effective way to go. (Tried the soy stuff once (nasty stuff)
  • LAPETITERUSE
    Options
    I actually would not recommend any of the protein mixes you can buy at a grocery store or a vitamin shop. The combination of nutrients is lacking for weightloss meal replacement purposes.

What I do recommend is:

1. HMR meal replacement shakes that you can buy online.
    2. Beach Body meal replacement shake that you can also buy online.

The reason I recommend these two is:

1. HMR is one of the brands used by weight loss doctors. You can use this formula for meal replacement without decreasing nutrients - thus your body doesn't go into starvation mode. YOu will consume minimum calories while still feeding your body.
    2. The beach body formula very closely matches the HMR formula - thus feeding your body the same.

The perks:

1. Beach body formula is $29.95 for 30 servings. (HMR is $38 for 18 servings)
    2. All you have to do is add the powder to 8 oz of water in a glass with a lid and shake it. No blender needed. I use the yummy chocolate!!
    3. Feeding your body the correct balance of nutrients 5 times a day will boost your metabolism and actually improve certain health negativities you've been experiencing - tiredness, high blood pressure, high cholesteral, high sugar.
    4. The added bonus - weight loss.

If you follow the fast approach - whereby you consume 5 shakes a day only - no solid foods - the typical results are 25-35 lbs lost and improved health.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR.

I am providing you this information based on my experience. I didparticipate in a Dr. supervised diet before. However, I had a sluggish thyroid due to iodine deficiency so it counteracted my efforts. Instead of rejoining the dr. supervised program after I fixed my iodine, I decided to find a meal replacement shake that I could purchase that would hopefully be less expensive while giving me the same results.

If anyone wants more information, message me directly.

~Lynn~
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I second vypergrl's suggestion for Designer Whey. I lilke the vanilla. Love to mix it with my flavored water-tastes like creamcicle or creamy vanilla berry. It isn't as horrible as some of the protein drinks I've had.
  • beckybubbles
    beckybubbles Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Try the EAS whey protein powder at Sam's Club. Probably the most cost-effective way to go. (Tried the soy stuff once (nasty stuff)

I agree. this is a really good one. I like to mix it with fruit and juice, or its good with just milk, my fav. right now is 4 oz of OJ 4 oz of water, lots of ice and blend. It's like a 50/50 bar. yummy!
  • vypergrl
    Options
    :mad: My suggestions for protein mixes are correct for supplementation.. NOT for meal replacement. NO protein mix should be a direct one-for-one replacement.

These powders, for the most part are to help ADD protein to your meal plans, as MOST women who are trying to lose weight are supposed to do. High protein, provided you work out, is what helps creat lean muscle--which by the way BURNS MORE fat!!! So, that being said, you need to find a way to beef up the intake, and personnaly I'm NOT going to eat 4-5 chicken breasts a day ( on top of my normal meal consumption -- EVERY three to four hours) when I can add two BSN Syntha-6 protein shakes to my diet (how I eat NOT a fad lose weight fast scam) and get just as much if not more protein.

Okay, I'm off my soap box.... the vitamin shoppe is a GREAT place to get your supps. Like I said, I've been a gym rat since 1989 and have been using/researching supplements since 1995.

Take the advice or leave it....it's up to you.:smokin:

~Audry
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    DON'T go to GNC!!!! I've been buying supplements and weight training for 17 years and GNC is one of THE MOST expensive places you can go for supplements :mad: . One of my protein mixes they sell for 8-10 dollars more than what I pay for it on vitaminshoppe.com, 2hugenutrition.com is also a good website to go to for supplements. :tongue:

I've gone to GNC about three times and two of those times the guy ( and yes he was male) behind the counter tried to sell me a pitch on why their supps were soooo expensive, talking down to me like I didn't know my *kitten* from a hole in the ground. Except he didn't know that I've got years of experience in using supplements.

Either way, IF you are lucky enough to have a vitamin shoppe in your area you're blessed...I wish I did, but the online side is just as nice.

So, long story short, look for a protein that tastes good with water and 2 % milk (syntha-6 is a good one) I also like designer whey (but it is only whey protein, where syntha-6 is a blend of 6 different types of protein :love: )

I could go on for days about this... you're better off looking to supplement companies that have proven themselves-- e.g. been around for a long time/ talk to a nutritionist.
    If you have any more questions feel free to write me and ask.

Cheers and best of luck to you!
    Audry

Ugh, I HATE GNC. They do talk down to you as well...I understand they're trying to sell something, but it's like they assume everyone in there is some mindless supplement zombie. I also like the Vitamin Shoppe...they don't try to shove a multivitamin, protein powder, creatine, and phytosupplements down your throat in every trip. :tongue:

Anywho...my advice is to take it easy with whey at first. Many people have a difficult time digesting whey, so if you experience bloating or gas, it's okay to switch to an egg white/soy/vegetable protein powder. They will not digest as quickly as whey, but for a general level of fitness that's really not an issue.

I personally can't digest whey, so I use a (disgusting) unflavored vegetable protein powder. I always mix mine with milk because I can't stomach it without, and I also mix in some maca powder and sugar free nesquick. I can handle the extra calories; if you can't I agree with vyper that it's important to get something you can drink in water.

I wouldn't recommend a liquid diet for an extended period of time; the intestines will lose the ability to move solid food via peristalsis, so when you reintroduce it, digestion and bowel movements will be very uncomfortable. There's really no reason to take such drastic measures.