Influence of BMR on calorie intake when losing weight

Options
Hi! =) so recently i started using the site more, i think its helping.
But I also started to get a lot more curious about my calorie intake

So the problem is that I want to lose as close to 2 lbs a week as possible.
To do that I've been watching everything I eat, but I think I may be undereating, which i heard slows down the metabolism, making it harder to lose weight.

My BMR is 1558.
I have a healthy BMR.
I'm exercising to lose about 1,200 calories a week.

So about how many calories can I consume in a day, because the whole "net calorie" thing is confusing me. I don't want to slow down my metabolism, but I want to lose weight.
I'm willing to exercise more..?

Please help!
All input would be appreciated.

Thanks guys :smile:

Replies

• crazyfob07
    Options
    Calculate your BMR at the weight you are targeting or just reduce your intake to 1200 daily, it was mention that for women you do not go below 1200 because that is the basic min you need for your body to function normally day to day. I would add in more weight training to build lean muscles and start targeting the body fat %. Do not be afraid of weights, they are your friend :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Just enter all your stats into MFP: height, weight, amount you want to lose per week, activity level, and and follow the numbers it gives you. Simple as that. After several weeks of logging, evaluate your progress, and fine tune if necessary.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Great advice!
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    my take is to always try to have net calories (after exercise) be above your BMR. my personal trainer also agrees with this. if your net calories are consistently below your BMR, your body is more apt to hold onto fat.

the deficit will then be your net calories subtracted from your maintenance calories. depending on what your maintenance calories is, the deficit may be just 500 calories daily, for a loss of 1 pound a week. but i think it's far better to lose 1 lb in a healthy manner, than it is to lose 2 lbs a week but with net calories be consistently below your BMR.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Just enter all your stats into MFP: height, weight, amount you want to lose per week, activity level, and and follow the numbers it gives you. Simple as that. After several weeks of logging, evaluate your progress, and fine tune if necessary.

Agree with this^^^
  • Denibabe94
    Options
    thanks everyone =)

and hsinster I think I'll look into that method
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    for most everyone, i think MFP's way of doing things is fine - subtracting the appropriate deficit given your weight loss goals. but for 2 lbs/week loss, they'd prob recommend 1200 calories for you (the daily minimum for a woman) which is far below your BMR. i think it's better to strive for net calories above BMR.