Is it wrong or am I crazy??

Options
So I need a new workout, as I am in a rut, and am tossing around a few ideas, like personal trainers, going to different classes, trying cross fit.

So yesterday I meet with the Personal Trainer at my gym to find out prices on sessions, and of course, they want to know what your goals are, and where you are at. Well I know where I am at, because of this site, my problem comes where they ask for a number goal. I don't really have a number, I just want to be healthy and fit, that end number could be any where from 150 to 180 I guess, I'll figure that out when i get there. So I am crazy not to have a for sure end goal?? Or is this normal.

**My favorite part was the "well for your height 145 would be the proper BMI, when were you at 145?" Me: I have no clue probalbly middle school 15 + years ago. Him: "well how did you feel at that weight" Me; " umm I don't remeber it was middle school 15+ years ago!" What I wanted to say was I was in middle school, i felt fat and got made fun of....what kind of question is that??

Replies

• mblanch
    mblanch Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't have an end goal either - On here I just put it in as somewhere in my healthy weight range. I've never been that thin either so I guess I will know when it feels right. I'm also relying on friends and family to give me advice on that etc - people can normlly tell if you weigh too less for your frame etc.

I'm gona decide more on clothes sizes I think, when I'm down to a more normal size I will be happy. So you aren't crazy :)
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Thats kind of my take on it too. Thank you.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I don't have an end goal either, i don't even have short term goals. I 'm happy to just plod on i can't fool lyself that 20lb, 40lb, 60lb is a true goal as it's not. I also have no idea what my ideal weight should be i aim for a reccomended weight and see how i feel as i approach it. I know if i get to a point where i'm happy i'll be fine not losing any more and wont feel like i've failed if i decide to stop losing before whatever target i put on here. I don't remember what i put on here for my target. I just entered somethign so i'd see my losses.
  • Selaen
    Selaen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think having goals are meant to help you focus on your end result, and thus motivate you to keep going.

I have a number goal of 121. Now, everybody gasps when they hear that "but that's so low!" Well, it's my ideal weight. However if somewhere along this road I decide that I'm happy enough being a certain size, I'll just stop. That number is there to point me towards the right direction.

On a day-to-day basis I use visual clues for my goals; celebrity bodies I admire etc. Numbers are so fickle, and 121 on someone might look skeletal, whereas someone else looks a tad curvy.
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I don't have a goal weight or clothing size. My trainer was a size 4 at 150 lbs, that was all muscle. I doubt I'll ever have that little fat or that much muscle. My goal is to feel good, look good and be realistic.

I noticed my ticker once I sent this message!!! LOL, I guess I did have a goal weight at one time. I set my ticker up when I started this journey and used the number I was before I had my boys. I wasn't to thin but now I have some muscle so I don't know if that would work now.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's wrong to not have a specific goal in mind yet. But the trainer is looking for one because that helps them to structure your plan.

Someone who simply wants to hit a certain weight goal has different goals from someone who dreams of running a marathon, right?

And I think they asked how you felt at 145 for two reasons. First, they were trying to get a sense of whether their guess of 145 is appropriate for you and your frame. If you said you felt great at 145, that confirms their guess somewhat. Second, it gives them a sense of your feeelings about your body. If you were a healthy weight but still felt overweight, that's important information. You could feel large at a healthy weight because you weren't able to accurately and realistically understand that you were healthy, or perhaps you were at a good weight but not 'fit'. That may influence the sort of training plan they select for you as well.

But in any event, no, it's not crazy to not know your end goal in terms of a weight. Might be good to establish a range of weight, or some health targets.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    My ticker has a number in it, but I'm not really focused on it per se. When I met with my trainer, I told her that I wanted to do this different THIS time. I wasn't going to focus so much on a number, but more on how my body is improving and how I feel. Granted, we do weigh in every couple of weeks, but that is the quickest way to track progress. We also measure my waist and hips every two weeks.

At the end of each two months, we redo all the body fat and fitness tests. THAT is where I saw and felt the progress. She was ok with not having a specific weight goal, and has worked with me to better my fitness and nutrition. That's the kind of trainer you need to find, IMO. ;D
  • gburkhart2
    gburkhart2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I personally think NOT having a quantified end goal is super healthy. Our bodies change as we age. I was the same height when I graduated high school as I am today. I weighed 160lbs then. I can't possibly imagine a situation where I could ever reach that again. I put on here that my goal was 180 because it sounded "reasonable." For me, this is about a lifestyle change. I want to live healthier so I can see my kids and subsequently, my grandkids grow up. I want to live healthier to set a good example for my kids, other family and friends. Most of all I want to live healthier for myself. You're not crazy in the least.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I don't have a firm goal either. I haven't set mini goals. From past experience all they do is frustrate the heck out of me when I don't meet them, then I give up. I will just keep plodding along and see where I land.