Mind boggled by all the Heart Rate Monitors! HELP!

Options
I'm sure there have been a million requests for help choosing a heart rate monitor - so here's another one!

I have no clue which brands are good, which brands are to be avoided, do I need a chest strap or not?

I know what I DO want. I would like a HRM that I can wear 24/7 (I never take my regular watch off) and one that's water resistant. It needs to be small - I'm a small framed lady and I want it to be practical for using all day every day.
I'd like it to track the calories I'm using during the day as well as when I'm exercising. I'd like it to have an audible alarm for when I'm over doing things. It needs to tell me which zone regarding my workout - and I'm sure there are a zillion other features I'd like that I don't have time to write.

Ohhh and I don't want one that needs a degree in computer science to use!

Any suggestions?

TIA
Netty

Replies

• david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hi, just been through the same process - all the accurate ones seem to have a chest strap - I bought a Polar FT4 eventually, the chest strap is so comfortable I forget it's there, and the monitor is the size & shape of a watch - my only gripe is that it doesn't display the time when in heart-mode, which is a minor nuisance when I'm out.

Once set for exercise it tracks heart rate and duration, and lets you know the calories burned and time taken when you stop it...

You shouldn't need to spend more than £100 for a very good monitor, and you can pay a lot less..

rgds,

David
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hi Netty,

I just bought one last week. I did a lot of research insofar as reading forum posts on here, and reviews on other inet sites. I think the general concensus was that you definately need one with a chest strap for cal burn accuracy. Also Polar seemed to be the most popular, as there are many different versions dependant on functionality, with varying price levels (dependant on your needs), and they are very easy to use. I went for the Polar FT4 (£54.99 amazon). I just wanted one that gives accurate cal burn, and obviously measures your heart rate in the zone. You enter your personal details (gender, age, weight) and the HRM works out your 'zone'. You can change it if you want too. When you work out, it bleeps when you enter the zone, and again if you exceed the zone. It is probably the most basic of the versions that include calorie burn, but that is all I wanted. The next version up (FT7) has more functionality. You can check them out on amazon, or do a comparison on the Polar website. I did consider cheaper HRM's, but the comments about Polar were so good, that I thought paying the extra was worth it.

Hope that helps a little
    Wendy
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    You need a body bug or similar if you intend to leave it on all day. An ordinary HRM is great for calculating exerise cals, but it wont accurately record day to day activity.
  • bubblybabeuk
    bubblybabeuk Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 too, I am only little with skinny wrists and its fine. The strap is very comfy and I forget I have it on.

Mandy xx
  • jensdaily
    jensdaily Posts: 16
    Options
    Polar FT7. I can't say enough great things about it!!!
  • morawjo
    morawjo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar F4 Black Amber and love it! Just go with one that is Polar...you won't be disappointed.

@David081: If I bring my Polar F4 watch close to my chest strap while I'm working out, it will display the time temporarily. Yours doesn't do the same?
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've had a Polar for years and love it
  • juldga
    juldga Posts: 119
    Options
    I also have a polar FT4, but the only devices that will accurately track all day activity are things like the body bugg and bodymedia fit. You could wear the polar ft4 all day, but it is meant to wear during exercise. The chest strap is comfortable and I am a big girl. There is no alarm when you "overdo" that I know of but I have never exceeded my zone and there is an alarm when you go under your target zone heart rate. Your target zone is listed and I you can switch screen during your workout to view time elapsed, where you are in your zone, your heart rate or %of max whichever you choose and calories burned. If you bring the watch close to the chest strap the time will display.
    I did not like it at first, but I learned later it was a floor madel and needed a new battery. After the battery was installed it works great. The bronze color (womens version) does not look bad on a girl
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 117
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies - looks like I'll be investing in a Polar then! I just did a quick google of body bugs - yikes! They're a little more than I want to pay but they do look like a great gadget (and I just love gadgets!) @Mandy - it's particularly helpful to know that yours looks find on skinny wrists. I was particularly worried about that.

Netty
  • mindfang
    mindfang Posts: 6
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT4 and skinny wrists. It fits really well. :]

It's super easy to use, and works wonderfully. I paid about $80 for mine, and don't regret it at all. Worth every penny.