Strength training

Options
Why doesn't this allow us "burned calories" for strength training? I did 45 minutes (hard) of upper body work out and it's not showing any calorie change! I was sweating!!!!

Replies

• mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    Enter strength training into cardio. It will give you credit.
  • brennank
    brennank Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree - the site would be much more accurate if it included calories burned during strength.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I need to do that. I am strength training, but not getting credit for it. :frown:
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    There's "strength training" under cardio and you can enter how long you did it. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you do a circuit with no or very little breaks enter "circuit training" or if taking breaks between sets enter "strength training" in the cardio section, to get an estimate of calories burned.
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    They should have a section that would measure strength training and not have to enter into cardio section. It is frustrating to workout so hard and not have a large calorie loss. I use my HRM and don't see big numbers on calories burnt, but I know I workout harder than when I do cardio. Just enter you strength training under cardio. :)
  • dean0721
    dean0721 Posts: 143
    Options
    its almost impossible to calculate burned calories on strength training, because they are unique to every person, it depends on weights, no.s of reps, no. of sets, recovery in between sets, recovery in between reps, it also depends on the person, and how fit/unfit they are, it would end up giving us all false information , and that would in turn throw the accuracy of our diets...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    They should have a section that would measure strength training and not have to enter into cardio section. It is frustrating to workout so hard and not have a large calorie loss. I use my HRM and don't see big numbers on calories burnt, but I know I workout harder than when I do cardio. Just enter you strength training under cardio. :)

MFP has no idea how hard you are working out based on reps and sets as a stronger person can lift the same weights easily that someone else has trouble lifting.
  • gavin03
    gavin03 Posts: 39
    Options
    I was having the same problem. Until I invested in a Heart Rate Monitor. Great and very accurate when doing all different exercises. Good luck!!!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem. Until I invested in a Heart Rate Monitor. Great and very accurate when doing all different exercises. Good luck!!!

Which one did you get? I am thinking of getting one.
  • MrsBehaving
    MrsBehaving Posts: 100 Member
    Options

It seems like I say this every single day to someone. Get a heart rate monitor! You will not regret it! No more guessing games!
  • BoyShorts
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I put it under cardio and gave myself 200 calories (although I believe it was probably more..but better to underestimate!).