Really.....when you buy a HRM and try it, how can you possib

Options
Hi All,

I'm about to buy a HRM....and really I'm thinking, regardless of which one you buy, when you wear it and see how many calories you burn, you're ALWAYS going to think, "did I REALLY burn this many calories? Is this accurate?". Anybody have any insight? Or has anyone out there ever worn two different HRM's at the same time to determine accuracy?

Would love your opinions!
Thanks!

Replies

• fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I feel like its wayy more accurate than mfp's estimate. I just go with it. Some days I eat all my calories burned back, somedays I dont! (I have an FT7)
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    You get the most accurate device within your budget. It should let you enter information like height, weight, age, so it's customized to you. You can't compare apples to oranges which is what wearing more than one HRM would be doing. There is error in all measuring devices. That error increases when you use multiple measuring devices. Measure twice cut once, not measure twice with different measuring devices and then cut.
  • Isa25
    Isa25 Posts: 46
    Options
    I think you have to draw the line somewhere, or you could second guess everything! A HRM is going to be the best ESTIMATE you are going to be able to get, hands down. You input sex, weight, and age and it uses that plus your HR info and plugs it all into some proprietary equations to come up with calories burned. There are lots of different ways to calculate calories burned, and each company has their own protected way. It's been around for a long enough time and all of the commonplace HRMs are going to be pretty much equivalent. I wouldn't give it a second thought - as long as you input the correct info, you're going to get the best estimate you can possibly get without all sorts of high tech gadgets. You'll love using one! :happy:
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4. I believe the numbers, but even if it is off by a bit, I feel reasonably sure that the calories make sense based on MFP, the equipment I have used and other online sources. I eat back some, but not all of my exercise calories, and it seems to be working for me now.

Good luck!
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar F11 and tonight in my zumba class I burned 931 calories! I checked my heart rate periodically, and I was almost always in the fat burning zone, so I feel pretty confident in the results. Most machines are inaccurate because they only monitor your heart rate when you are touching the monitor. A good heart rate monitor with a chest strap monitors your heart rate constantly, so it is accurate. I don't always eat all my calories back, but I always feel sated and have been losing weight steadily - about 2# per week, which is okay for me because I have a lot to lose. As I get closer to my goal, I know it will go slower.
  • grumpy2032
    grumpy2032 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I got one.To count for things that I couldnt find listed .I keep it on when I go to help my moms and it records better then MFP more accurate for me .I got it at Wall Mart for about 28 $ LOVE IT !!!!
  • Lisamarie7574
    Lisamarie7574 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Really helpful responses everybody.....thanks so much!!
  • Lisamarie7574
    Lisamarie7574 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    One more question for you Polar FT4 users - does it let you enter your height, weight, etc? I looked on the site and didn't see any indication that it has those features. I did want a HRM that lets you enter that info, but again, I did NOT want to spend more than $75. Hmmmmm......

Thanks again!
  • asyia74
    asyia74 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes it has you enter weight, height, age, and sex. I think this adds to the accuracy of the Wii HRM. I honestly don't remember if I even entered any of my information into EA Active 2. Did we have to? Memory is the first to go - I need a workout for that too. :)
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Add me to the HRM market. I want to get one, but I can't spend a lot of $$$.
  • All_Mimsy
    All_Mimsy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a Polar FT4 and I love it. Yes, it does have you enter your age, sex, height, and current weight.