kEEPING THE WEIGHT OFF

Options
If you've ever lost weight, you know how hard it is to keep it off.

Ever wonder why some people are able to keep weight off, while others put it right back on? Read on for the 7 Secrets to Maintain Weight Loss. (And if you still have pounds to lose, these 7 secrets will help you too.)

Secret #1: Keep on Moving
If you're serious about keeping the weight off, you need to be serious about your workouts. Keep your activity level high, both in and out of the gym. Your workouts should consist of both cardiovascular training and strength training. While out of the gym make an effort to move as much as possible by taking the stairs, going for walks or jogs and participating in recreational activities.

Secret #2: Be a Healthy Eater
Sorry, you can't go back to eating at the drive thru and expect to maintain your weight loss. Focus on these 3 aspects of healthy eating:
Keep calories low. Gone are the days of eating mindlessly. Be aware of everything that goes into your mouth, whether by journaling or simply keeping a mental tally.
Be careful. Eat small portions, avoid high-calorie foods and check nutrition labels. You don't have to swear off chocolate forever, just eat it occasionally with portion control.
Eat a balanced diet. Include a variety of fruits and vegetables, lean meats and whole grains.
Secret #3: Turn off the TV
The average person watches a whopping 35 hours of television each week. People who successfully maintain weight loss, on the other hand, watch an average of 7 hours or less. TV watching encourages snacking and puts you in a sedentary position on the couch. Spend less time in front of the TV and enjoy longer lasting weight loss.

Secret #4: Keep it Simple
While it is important to keep a variety of fruits and vegetables in your diet, your diet should be fairly simple. Create a repertoire of basic whole foods: fruits, vegetables, lean meats, whole grains, beans and nuts. When you cut down on your options it becomes easier to stick to your plan, making weight loss guaranteed.

Secret #5: Track Yourself
Your biggest fear is gaining back every solitary lost pound, but don't be afraid of your scale. Weigh yourself at least once each week to monitor any gains. If the numbers begin to climb then reduce calories and increase your exercise.

Secret #6: Eat for the Right Reason
Emotional eating is one of the top reasons that people are overweight. It's very important that you view food as fuel, not as an answer to deeper emotional needs. When food becomes more than just fuel, the pounds quickly add up. If you want to keep your weight under control, you're going to have to eliminate emotional eating.

Secret #7: Forget All-Or-Nothing
No one is perfect – not even you! There will be days when you eat more calories than you should have. There will also be days when you miss a workout. Don't let small slipups send you into a tailspin of all-or-nothing sabotage. Simply get back to your healthy lifestyle rather than letting yourself backslide into your old habits.

Don't be one of the many who skip these 7 secrets and instead return to life pre-weight loss. You worked hard to be where you are – you deserve to keep it. Written by Christy from Gainsville Health and Fitness

Replies

• brendagangadin
    Options
    This was a great post, and very helpful!

Thank you!
  • GoingMedium
    Options
    Awesome tips ... Thanks!
  • julie4760
    julie4760 Posts: 125
    Options
    Too true we all need to be mindful at any stage really as it is so easy to regain weight you've lost and we wouldn't be in this position in the first place if we had remained mindful of our eating and exercise habits. Trouble is we lead such busy lives that it is so easy to fall back into bad habits, tyvm for posting this it's a must remember for me for a lifetime change.
  • limestar
    limestar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    well said.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks for sharing!!

D
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for this post. i have this phobia that if i start gaining any weight back, it will snowball out of control, and i'll be back up those 50 lbs that i lost. it may be irrational, but it's a feeling that i can't get past.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! I'm over half way to my goal and starting to think about this stuff, this was very simple and to the point! In fact I'm forwarding to a friend that is about to start maintenance as well!
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. Loved the article, and it will be a great help to me in the months to come. :)
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. Loved the article, and it will be a great help to me in the months to come. :)
  • lisapooh1
    lisapooh1 Posts: 90
    Options
    Thanks!!!! That was really helpful:smile::smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Great tips to remember once I get the weight off, thank you!