What is the best time of day to do your weigh in each week?

Options
Hi there,

I was wondering about this and here is what I found.

Weight Scales. Most people's weight actually varies across the day by as much as several pounds based on what they eat and eliminate. Just drinking a couple glasses of water can make the numbers on the scale go up. To minimize time of day problems, pick a particular time of day when you will weigh yourself and stick to it. Early morning, before breakfast, is usually the best time of day to weigh. Weigh yourself frequently during your preparation phase to understand your average baseline weight. After the assessment period weigh only about once a week at the same time as your baseline measure. Source From: http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=5919&cn=219

What is everyone elses experience with weighing in?

Thanks,

Connie Lynn

Replies

• ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I was wondering about this and here is what I found.

Weight Scales. Most people's weight actually varies across the day by as much as several pounds based on what they eat and eliminate. Just drinking a couple glasses of water can make the numbers on the scale go up. To minimize time of day problems, pick a particular time of day when you will weigh yourself and stick to it. Early morning, before breakfast, is usually the best time of day to weigh. Weigh yourself frequently during your preparation phase to understand your average baseline weight. After the assessment period weigh only about once a week at the same time as your baseline measure. Source From: http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=5919&cn=219

What is everyone elses experience with weighing in?

Thanks,

Connie Lynn
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Hi Connie Lynn,

I weigh myself in the morning, before eating or drinking anything & after potty.
    I've been doing it that way for years.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I agree! I only wiegh in once a week every thurs. morning. More then that I think is just not needed.:smile:
  • bigjug1967
    Options
    I am not weighing myself until 3 months is up and hopefully im not let down lol
  • jesusgrl14
    Options
    I also do it once a week, first thing in the morning after potty. I have weighed myself in the evenings just to see the difference and it's amazing. It will go up by about 5 lbs from morning to night and then be back to the original by the next morning! Where does it go if I just have a little pee in the morning?! :laugh:
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every monday morning, before consuming anything.
    I used to be nuerotic about it, and weigh myself every day, but I found I was actually putting weight on, and making myself il, so it's not worth it.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a month or sometimes it maybe more like 5 or 6 week.. I do it right before I work out. I only weigh at the gym. I weighted today. I lost another 6 pounds.:happy:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Monday mornings after the gym, and I do it at the gym on the same scale each time. I don't think there is a "best" time of day, just personal consistency.
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    See, I'm different...I weigh myself every morning, after I've had breakfast and showered and am wearing just my bathrobe with wet hair. These conditions must be the same for me to weigh. Since weight does fluctuate, I won't count the weight on the scale unless it is consistent for 2 days. This is how I was doing it when I did the LA weight loss plan and it seemed fairly accurate. I think as long as you use the same scale and weigh wearing the same thing at the same time of day...it should be fairly correct. Just need to be consistent. I don't think there's a "right" or "wrong" way.

*Kistinbee*
  • rebasmart
    Options
    I agree more with the last comment on my way to do it. I weigh everyday (as soon as I get up and after I potty) and then put the average down once a week. My weight really changes a lot though so I don't feel like just weighing once a week is accurate for me.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the AM after potty too, but I don't bother if I know that I'm retaining water or I have made a large change to my diet. When I was cycling my carbohydrates, my weight would fluctuate so rapdily that I didn't bother to step on the scale for almost 2 months, there was just no point. Now that I maintain the same amound of calories, I find that my weight is more stable,but I still can tell when I'll be weighing a bit heavy, and take it worth a grain of salt.
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm another one that weighs every day, unless I forget. First thing in the morning, naked and after I've gone to the bathroom. I sometimes weigh right before bed too and I get a kick out of seeing the overnight weight loss. If I see small gains throughout the week, I don't stress about it. It just motivates me to be really careful for the next few days.