would you add walking??

Options
I mean I walk 5x a week doing a school run drop off and pick up. I used my android app and it's a 2k walk to the school and home again.

So all up about 4k a day.

But it's a slow walk with a 5yo on the way to school and pushing a pram. But without the 5yo I do go quicker. I think the polar gave me a reading of 150cals for the there and back. So bout 300cals all up.

Now you you add this as exercise or just take it as a bonus cals burned thing

Replies

• jon_dub
    jon_dub Posts: 166
    Options
    I would count it walking is great exercise
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Absolutely
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you put as your "normal daily activity" level when you signed up. Since MFP calculates your calories goals based on your activity level, it might already assume that you get that exercise and calculate it into your daily calorie goal.

I typically walk/bike about 5 mi to and from class each day, but I don't log it because my "activity" level is set to moderately active. I guess it's up to you!
  • mykluvedburg
    mykluvedburg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's a great workout, add it for sure.
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    They did a study....walking fast or walking slow a wonderful way to workout....count it!
  • ronieslp
    ronieslp Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There is an opinion to record your walk with a severity level, so you say you walk at a causal pace, then record it as such. It is exercise. Do you feel you shouldn't record it because you aren't braking a sweat?
  • charliebrowntx
    Options
    I agree with everyone else here on adding it. It is extra activity for you. I walk a lots for my job as a sub teacher but my husband and I have started a 2 mile a night walk 3mph so I surely add that to my exercise log. I also am trying to add in more strength training to my day. Lifting groceries, books when I am subbing, many different items I work with in the daily activity. Good luck to you and if you need support you are welcome to add me as a buddy fro support. I know I sure need the support right now also
  • Aylilth
    Aylilth Posts: 125
    Options
    Cool I have been adding it just wanted a general opinion with my walk and the days I hit the gym i can burn around 700cals a day.

I guess i was just thinking b/c it's part of my daily thing now, but then I know it's extra movement.... and ya lol thanks
  • Wightvixen
    Wightvixen Posts: 117
    Options
    I only count walking when I go out and walk specifically for the purpose of exercise. I don't count walking to the shops or other regular chores as that's already factored into my normal daily activity level. But that's just me.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    If I walk for training I log it. If I walk for shopping, at work, just general getting from a to b... I don't.

When I walk for training at 3.5-4.0mph it's walking with a purpose. It's very different to strolling to the shops etc. Well to me anyway.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    i would add it:smile:
  • JeanMargaret
    Options
    I think it's entirely up to you. Activity is activity. I believe that whether you count it or not, you're doin' your body good. *smiles*
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I would add any walk that was more than 2k, I think, as long as it was done at a reasonable speed.
  • MrsCupCakeBoyle
    MrsCupCakeBoyle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I add my school trips.
  • britneybowen
    britneybowen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would definitely add it! I add if I walked through the grocery store for 30 mins.... I add if I cleaned for 30 mins.... I add everything. You are constantly burning calories but walking that much and burning 300 cals is def something I would add!!!
    Good job :)