Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Corn Beef and Cabbage

rherrin5
rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
Ok so I bought one but how do I cook it????? My grandma is always on me about me being partly Irish and how I should celebrate and cook this wonderful meal. So she convinced me (only because she didnt want to this year hahah) and ill have family over and I want it to be and taste good! She cooks the meal every year and some how it got passed to me. Guess im the oldest Grand-daughter... hahah I dont mind, just need to know how to cook it. Grandma says just cook it but I need more direction than that. Anyone????

Replies

• 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Is it in the packet with the seasoning packet? If it is then, get a large pot out. Rinse the meat and put it in the pot and cover with cold water. Add seasoning packet. Then bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer till done.

It is very simple to make. But warning, it will shrink up.
  • I Googled corn beef and cabbage recipes and I got a ton of them. My favorite is Alton Brown's
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/corned-beef-and-cabbage-recipe/index.html

He has both the dinner recipe and how to brine your brisket. Hope you like it.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Throw in slow cooker with seasoning, fill with beef broth to cover. Cook on low 6-8 hrs.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    The best way is in the crock pot and cover with water. You either cook it on high for 6 hours or on low for 10 I would wait till half way through before adding the cabbage to keep it from getting mushy.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    I love corn beef and cabbage. Wish I knew how to really make it, my mom always made it with potatoes in it. I'm gonna have to get her to make me some!!! Nom Nom! Sorry, wish I could help. I never asked my mom how she makes it bc my fiance told me he don't like corn beef and cabbage. :(
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    How is the corned beef on the calories?
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    You can usually find the directions direcly on the corn beef packaging. I usually just cover it with water in a large stockpot including potatos, carrots, onions and simmer for about 4 hours or until meat is tender. Add the cabbage in the last 20 minutes. Good luck with your dinner, I am sure everyone will love it!
  • astronima
    astronima Posts: 35
    We have this every year and throw it in a pot or slow cooker. We use the seasoning that came with the corned beef. Mom always puts potatoes and cabbage in the pot too so it all cooks together. :) I'm sure how ever you cook it, it will turn out great! :smile:
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    IMO just google it and you should come up with a bunch of recipes. ^_^ Or ask your Grandma how it's done or invite her to come cook with you if it's possible. Then take notes so you can do it on your own in the future.
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    It's one of my favorite meals! I 'boil' mine in water too with the seasoning packet. Toward the last hour I add cabbage, potatoes and carrots! Yummy!!!! Don't forget to add rye bread and or Irish Soda bread to the meal. Enjoy! As an FYI...I believe the corned beef package also explains how to cook the meal. It gives the timing etc.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    I cook mine in a slow cooker...with onions (might add some green peppers this time)...then throw the cabbage in after about 6 hours...cook another 2 hours

cooking time will depend on how many pounds you have

I do not add potatoes because I want to keep my carbs low

after cooking, I try to remove as much fat from the meat as I can, then pull it apart and add back in with the veggies...very reasonable calorie wise (cabbage, onions and peppers are really low calorie count)
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Another vote for the crockpot - and a can of Guiness poured on top to cook! It helps make it even more tender.
  • caboeyes
    caboeyes Posts: 24
    My husband made it last night and it was soooooo good. He just put it in the crock pot, fat side up, covered with water, added seasoning packet. He added some WIckles pickle juice and potatoes and the chopped cabbage. It was delicious. Good luck and enjoy!
  • Lindaannd
    Lindaannd Posts: 3 Member
    My mom who was Irsh told me to not to forget to add a couple of carrots to the corn beef while it cooks, then throw them away. They cut the grease and you know what it works
  • rherrin5
    rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
    WOW!!! Thanks all. With all the help and tips im sure it will be amazing! Thanks for helping me out. I love to cook but this is one of those meals you do once a year and just do not really get the hang of it haha :) Hope all of your meals turn out great that day too!
  • mommaski4
    mommaski4 Posts: 305 Member
    Mmmm. Haven't had corned beef and cabbage in years, and honestly I did not like it then. But, lately I have been thinking of trying it again (I am liking a lot of new foods lately). This just might be the push to try it with my family. Thanks!
  • bmreed0920
    bmreed0920 Posts: 139 Member
    I sear the corn beef before I put it in the crockpot on low-medium for 8 hours. I add the seaoning packet, water to cover, onions, carrots and celery. At about hour 6 I add the potatoes. Hour 7 add the cabbage and remove the carrots and celery (but dont throw away). Once its done I reserve the broth and add back the carrots and celery and freeze so that I can use later on for soups. Slice the beef and serve with the potatoes and cabbage. I also make a beer bread to go with it.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Last month I was getting bored with the usual meats and decided to try corn beef. I put it in the large pot and covered it with water and half way thru flipped it over. Then baked a glaze on it. It turned out pretty good. Took about 3-4 hours. I made a low cal maple syrup glaze on it.

My gf thought it was too chewy and she doesn't eat steak for that fact either. She said it taste good though.
  • Evermyre
    Evermyre Posts: 43
    Usually make the corned beef in the crock pot like most people have said. We always do our cabbage different though. We quarter the cabbage, put some butter, salt and pepper on each quarter and wrap in tinfoil and then bake in the over at 350 for about an hour. You could easily subsitute oil for the butter if you wanted.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    How is the corned beef on the calories?

It is high in fat and calories.

About 213 calories for 3 ounces (cooked) and 16 grams of fat It is also very high in sodium. According to this link 3 ounces cooked is 964 mg of sodium.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-beef-cured-corned-brisket-cooked-i13347?size=2