Need help with an english essay!

Options
Hi All..

I just wanted to see if anyone could help me with starting the paper. I dont know where to begin!

Replies

• WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi All..

I just wanted to see if anyone could come up with a good title and to help me with starting the paper. I dont know where to start!

Depends what the topic is. I usually begin with a related article and pick out a point I want to make and derive a title from that. What is the topic?
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Capitalization and punctuation. ;0)

What's the topic?
  • mmulheren
    mmulheren Posts: 17
    Options
    The topic is to explore and analyze satisfaction of spiritual hunger of 3 characters: Gogol in The Namesake, Gregor in Metamorphosis and Okonkwo in Things Fall Apart.
  • Clipickett
    Clipickett Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Send me a private message. I ENJOY writing papers and also write for pleasure. I have been published a handful of times in different magazines. I wouldn't mind giving you some tips.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Say what you're going to say
    Say it
    Say what you said....
  • NicNac86
    NicNac86 Posts: 130
    Options
    Say it
    Say what you said....

Yep, introduction, body, conclusion :smile:
  • KristenAnn711
    Options
    Say it
    Say what you said....

Yep, introduction, body, conclusion :smile:

Ugh I hate writing papers.
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I did Psychology and bearing in mind this is for science papers and most of our essays were of a compare and cotrast theories nature, we were always told to use the following structure.

Into - brief paragraph to explain what your going to talk about and why.
    Point of view one - Explain one side of the argument
    point of view 2 - Explain the other one.
    Compare - compare how the sides relate to each other, whats different and why.
    Conclusion - Write about what you have decided based on the information given.

I hope thats useful somehow!

Genie
  • mmulheren
    Options
    Thanks Genie
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time...
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Outline first. Or make notes of some sort, to generally structure your paper and get the things out that you want to talk about. Where do they make most sense?

Introduction: Go from general to specific. Generally introduce your paper and what you're writing about, end in the thesis sentence.

Body: Given your topic, I would designate about 1-2 paragraphs per novel/character. I would probably then have 1 more paragraph where I talk about the 3 in comparison to each other, if necessary.

Conclusion: Start specifically and end broad. Rehash the important things you wrote about in your paper and its significance.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Send me a private message. I ENJOY writing papers and also write for pleasure. I have been published a handful of times in different magazines. I wouldn't mind giving you some tips.

Me too, especially English papers, unfortunetly I'm swamped with Safety Stats and billing right now...plus two of my best friends are in university so I'm currently editing papers on Freud and the Endoctrine system lol
  • mmulheren
    Options
    sounds like fun ricki