work outs for the tummy??

Options
So I've been doing lots of cardio lately. Zumba, running, biking....but nothing to focus just on this tummy. Any one have any luck with a program/ class/ or activity that targets that area? Ive had four kids so this is a hard spot for me to lose from.

Replies

• poppy1979
    Options
    Gym ball workouts are awsum for it, or inclined sit ups, though be careful if you have a bad back :-) good luck, hopefully starting my first Zumba this week and back to spinning too!!
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Pilates is pretty awesome..
  • valucarelli
    valucarelli Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Jillian Michaels - No More Trouble Zones. She focuses on the whole body, but there are 2 ab segments that are really great! I love this DVD!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Crunches and the various twisting movements that you can see people doing. They do little to nothing and you can easily get hurt by them. Sit-ups work the hip flexor muscles not the core muscles. Excellent core exercises are planks as the purpose of your core muscles is not primarily to bend and twist your body, but to hold everything together and provide stability.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Doing the plank is great at strengthening your core.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    A few are: Your basic floor crunches - lye on your back, knees bent and bring your entire torso up to your knees, without locking hands behind your head for additional cheating, best to cross them on your chest infront. Does work hip flexors, but you can limit this more by going lower or higher..

And for your lower parts, lye flat on your back, hands to your sides(tried under my head but my heavy head makes my hands fall asleep, LOL) and raise your legs into an L position, hold for a second and slowly lower(the lowering part is the counter and essential part).

Bicycle kicks, lying flat on your back and "Ride a bike" with your legs.

Planks. Go into a similar push-up position - like a lying bridge ark and weights on your elbows and hold that position - keeping everything tight.

If you have a chin up bar/Power Rack - Hanging leg raises. Hold onto a bar with a comfortable med/wide grip and while keeping yourself stabilized (no swinging) bring your legs up(similar to the lying down one - forming a Y shape) and slowly down for the contraction.

Or hanging knee ups - almost like a froggy kind of motion, Lol, oblique twists you name it.

Ummm.. Oh, or there's Lateral bends.. it's like you hold a weight in one hand(not 2, that would counterbalance it and render it even and useless) stand straight and bend to the right/left whichever the weight is and work obliques

All I can think of....
  • mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Jillian Michaels - No More Trouble Zones. She focuses on the whole body, but there are 2 ab segments that are really great! I love this DVD!!

Ive been hearing TONS about her 30 day shred, maybe i'll have to look into it.
    Thanks

As far as any thing else, i've never tried pilates - know of any good dvd"s?