Strength Training?

Options
Hello everyone! I am just started to try and work out and lose weight. This is my second week. I can only do work outs from home,
So far what I do is work out on my elliptical for cardio.

What can i do for Strength Training, I have a set of dumbbells 2.5 LBS, 5 LBS, 10 LBS and alsoResistance Bands. Im unsure of reps ect Any information will help!

Can anyone give me like a rough schedule on what I should do for how long?

Thanks

Replies

• jellybabyjess92
    Options
    Strength training is more working on a part of the body, usually weights or things such as sit ups or press ups. It is working on your muscles and toning you rather than cardio which gets your heart rate up. Even looking on the internet you can find how to do simple exercises for different parts of the body.

Hope that helps :smile:
  • Cmydob
    Cmydob Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There are lots of body weight and resistance band exercises you can do. You can even find some pretty good home routines on youtube.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    squats and lunges you could do with body weight, you could also do a ton of ad exercises without weight, but for like arms and back find things around your house you can use
  • heatherhart
    heatherhart Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I workout from home as well. I use bumbells, there are tons of exercises you can do!! Good Luck
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend checking out Women's Health magazine. That is how I got started on strength training. They have tons of great workouts and ideas that don't require a gym membership.
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have found that videos work best for me so I do a lot with Jackie Warner's Power Circuit DVD (I think it's like $10). I like Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and there's another one where she uses kettle weights--that one is my fave. I sometimes just take the moves I've memorized from the DVD's and do them on my own. There's lots you can do.
  • papaking
    papaking Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    put some weights of some sort in a backpack for squats that work on your core, there are also various ways to lift it, with one arm sideways, lighter weights to lift with legs while sitting on chair,.....possibilities are endless. good luck
  • prettyinpink117
    prettyinpink117 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you have an iphone, there is an ap called fitness pro that you can pick a workout by body part you'd like to work out and also generate a workout routine! It annoys me having to hold my phone while working out so I created a powerpoint with the different exercises to flip through instead.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    You Tube has a lot of videos too!!
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Try bodybuilding.com, It's not all body building type exercise, it's a great site for exercises individualized for men and women, and a gallery of many different workouts.. you can use one of theirs or put together your own combo of what you like! It's a good resource though!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    dumbbell thrusts/tabata thrusts, reverse lunges, push ups, dumbbell roll outs for abs, there are many, many exercises at home that require no weights but for the ones you do have these exercises will help.