hiding food

Options
I have a very controlling mom who did not allow me to eat sugar EVER growing up. I can still remember the first time I tasted it was when I was in 4th grade and I had the chicken pox… a friend brought me over a TCBY m&m blizzard, it was one of the best days of my life:love: LOL! The day I turned 16 and was able to drive alone I drove to the K-mart by our house. I bought a BOX of Little Debbie Oatmeal cream pies and I ate the ENTIRE box in my car. I was scared my mom was going to find out, so I went to the dumpster behind Kmart and threw the wrappers and box away in different dumpsters:noway: .To this day I still feel if people don’t see me eat it or if I don’t track it doesn’t count. I am slowly getting better as my husband really doesn’t seem to care if I eat ice cream or m&ms on occasion, but this is YEARS of a very bad habit I am trying to break. Does anyone else have stories like this or hide food and if so how do you overcome this?
PS. I Love my mom and realize she was just trying to do what she thought was best for me so please don’t think I am BLAMING my mom for my bad choices.:heart:

Replies

• caligirl86
    Options
    Little Debbie is Satan in disguise... really she is..
  • caligirl86
    Options
    I could roll around in those... I used to really like the Swiss Cake Rolls... Straight from the fridge.. I cant even get them to the register... I dont want to wear them all summer long...
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I dealt with a lot of the same things! My Mom is a health nut and we never had any of the "yummy" snacks that my friends had so whenever I could get my hands on them I would binge. When I first moved out on my own all i bought was junk food, because I COULD!

It took a couple of years of constant weight gain to finally realize that just because something tastes good, which lot of those things really don't, doesn't mean you can eat as much as you want. Also, I used to hide wrappers and throw take out bags and boxes in the dumpster before I got home so nobody saw them. I had the same mindset that I could eat whatever I wanted when nobody was around and it didn't really count. I can't even think of all of the crap I would put in my body!

I finally realized that I just need to make myself accountable because nobody is going to do it for me. Honestly this website helped SO much because once I saw the calories counted out in front of me I couldn't deny how much I was eating. Now I log everything because if I think a bite here or a couple of chips there don't count I know i will fall off track again. I've also cut out a lot of processed foods. I still buy them and still eat them a bit but not nearly as much as before where I would literally get take out every single week day for lunch. Not so great for the wallet or the waistline. You're on the right track! Feel free to message me if you'd like to :smile:
  • rebawagner
    rebawagner Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I KNOW but I don't always remember that it doesn't matter if anyone saw me or not it... I STILL ate it! This webiste has helped me as well. I am doing a much better job of recording everything and even taking the "hits" from people when others see what I ate that day. i know they are trying to help me as well! One day at a time!
  • rebawagner
    Options
    Little Debbie is Satan in disguise... really she is..

AMEN!!!!:devil:
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    My house growing up was like that too, why I gained so much weight when I went to college LOL!
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    Growing up for me was alot different as I am one of thirteen children and there never seemed to be enough of any kind of food to go around. If I was lucky enough to find a nickel I ran to the corner carryout and bought something (usually 3 pretzel rods because the nice clerk would add in the broken ones for free). I would then go somewhere I knew no one would see and eat them. Not because I was ashamed of what I was eating but because I didn't want to have to share!
  • rebawagner
    Options
    Growing up for me was alot different as I am one of thirteen children and there never seemed to be enough of any kind of food to go around. If I was lucky enough to find a nickel I ran to the corner carryout and bought something (usually 3 pretzel rods because the nice clerk would add in the broken ones for free). I would then go somewhere I knew no one would see and eat them. Not because I was ashamed of what I was eating but because I didn't want to have to share!
    WOW! I can understand that one!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Little Debbie. Her picture on the box looks so sweet and innocent. WRONG! She is the DEVIL! (although, I do abdmit to having a true love / hate relationship with her). :love: :grumble:
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    We didn't eat much junk food growing up - but there was the occasional stealing of the foodstamps out of mom's wallet (we were pretty poor) to run down to the local corner convienence store for a candybar......

I haven't done this for a long time - but I used to go to the drive thru or the deli hot case and get enough food for me + one.......any evidence was promptly hidden in the garbage.......
  • lrk93101
    lrk93101 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I still hide food and am having a really hard time stopping. My husband caught me the other day and I felt like I was 9 all over again. Something about the "thrill" of it for me? Or having something "special" all for myself. I would love to hear more replies on how to get over this. Although I guess eating in plain sight would probably be a good start?
  • caseykm
    caseykm Posts: 37
    Options
    I grew up in a similar kind of environment but my parents were actually the ones to hide the "good" food from me and my sisters. Basically any kind of chocolates or sweets we had to rummage through the cupboards before my parents got home from work and if we found them we would binge because once my parents found out we got into them they'd hide the food somewhere else. It was pretty twisted...sweets became forbidden which made me want to eat them every time I could. I still struggle with these weird impulses to sneak sweets when I can even though I no longer live with my parents. It makes me sad because my parents are both obese and I feel like the whole hiding food thing really contributed to my weight problems growing up.
  • MsKittyCAT
    MsKittyCAT Posts: 217
    Options
    Fast Food drive through windows are my problem. I've been good lately since I'm by myself and there is no one to hide from and no reason to have to sneak. But when I lived with others and would pick up food to take home to them I would get myself a salad to eat with them so they could see me eating healthy. They never knew about the burger or fries or chicken nuggets from the dollar menu that I scarfed down in the car before I got home.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    My mom used to, and probably still does - hide M&M's Peanut candies. She would buy a big yellow bag, like the 1/2 lb or lb. and give us kids each a couple - and then we would never ever ever see the bag agian. I remember once looking for it after she gave us a couple candies, it was under her pillow almost all the way gone.......and the next day the bag was hidden in the garbage.

I once worked at a place that the boss's wife would get off of her day job and she would come down to the shop - to help "close". She would always go "check on the boys in the back" and come back up front with a tell tale hand print of a powdered donut sugar on her black slacks, crumbs on her chin - kind of trying to swallow that last bite before anyone caught her.

She was also the one that told me she made a pie for her family once and when it was done she got a piece, got another - got another - (before anyone even was home yet) saw the pie 1/2 gone - ate the rest of it, did all the dishes - and pretended that she didn't make a pie at all..............
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Super co-sign on these posts my mom and dad always comment on my weight loss and eating habits. When I really started gaining weight I would buy a pizza and throw away the box and put the slices into tupperware containers to get them in the house undetected. It was bizzarre but it was the only way I could eat pizza w/o them commenting on it. :frown:
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    When I was growing up, I was fed once a day so me and my siblings would eat and eat and eat until we couldn't put another bite into our mouths. After all, that was it until dinner the next day. I still have issues trying to figure out if I'm full because I was so used to overeating at one meal. When I was 16, I only weighed 75lbs and constantly picked on! It's crazy what things impact us as adults because of our childhood. I remember in the summer watching my stepmother through the screen door (we were locked outside) while she ate while watching soap operas and my mouth watering...
  • Papaya81
    Papaya81 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I dealt with a lot of the same things! My Mom is a health nut and we never had any of the "yummy" snacks that my friends had so whenever I could get my hands on them I would binge. When I first moved out on my own all i bought was junk food, because I COULD!

It took a couple of years of constant weight gain to finally realize that just because something tastes good, which lot of those things really don't, doesn't mean you can eat as much as you want. Also, I used to hide wrappers and throw take out bags and boxes in the dumpster before I got home so nobody saw them. I had the same mindset that I could eat whatever I wanted when nobody was around and it didn't really count. I can't even think of all of the crap I would put in my body!

I finally realized that I just need to make myself accountable because nobody is going to do it for me. Honestly this website helped SO much because once I saw the calories counted out in front of me I couldn't deny how much I was eating. Now I log everything because if I think a bite here or a couple of chips there don't count I know i will fall off track again. I've also cut out a lot of processed foods. I still buy them and still eat them a bit but not nearly as much as before where I would literally get take out every single week day for lunch. Not so great for the wallet or the waistline. You're on the right track! Feel free to message me if you'd like to :smile:

Had the EXACTLY the same experience growing up with my mother, binged the same way you did, and am on the same path of holding myself accountable as you are now....couldn't have said all this better myself!!

The one think I learned is that being deprived was my biggest downfall
  • ryansgirl
    ryansgirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem growing up - except we had dessert and candy all the time in the house - it was just me sneaking a brownie and then someone walking into the kitchen to yell at me. For good reason! I was (am still) overweight and they were just trying to help.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You seem to have hit a nerve! My upbringing was similar, except that my mom tried to feed us healthy, but would hoard/hide sweets for herself and she was always concocting these TERRIBLE recipes from the health food store to make us eat. I particularly remember one hot cereal that tasted like and had the texture of hot gravel ((shudder)) To add to the dysfunctional food party, my dad was SUPER controlling about food, esp sweets. We weren't allowed to share any food with the neighbor kids and there always had to be something for him (cookies, peanut m&m's, etc) One time, I made a Totino's pizza for my sister & I, and he remarked that he was going to take a nap and to make sure there was some pizza left for him. Now, we all know how tiny those pizzas are and my sister and I ate it all; but I had made sure to have another pizza in the oven. Unfortunately, he woke up about 10 mins before it was finished and LOST IT. He made me scrub our bathroom floor with a toothbrush while standing over me yelling at me. :cry: My mom came home and did nothing.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a personal sob story, but yes; I have been known to hide/hoard sweets...esp candy! Honestly, processed sugar is like crack to me, the more I eat, the more I crave, the more I eat....continue vicious circle ad nauseum.

On the lighter side, a funny food hoarding story: I used to hide those pound bags of m&m's in my dresser drawer and eat them in bed sometimes when my ex-h would go into work early. He would go meet the semis to load them at 3am and come home and go back to bed...in the buff. One morning, he woke up and got out of bed and had several colorful, chocolate candy coated candies stuck to his butt cheek! LMAO :laugh: I was horrified and was hoping they'd fall off on his way to the bathroom, so I could gather them up and toss them out before he noticed!
  • silvergirl19
    silvergirl19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Story about your hubby and m&m's is the fiunniest thing I've read in a long time. :laugh: Keep smiling... and good luck as your work toward your goals.