So bummed - I didn't lose this week

Options
The subject line says it all. I didn't lose an ounce this week. Feh. I thought I was being careful with my calories and I did get my exercise. I think my HRM is being too generous with the number of calories burned so I'm actually eating more than I need to. I'm going to be supper scrupulous this week and see how it goes.

Replies

• Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    HRM won't show an accurate caloric burn unless it incorporates your weight into it. I had a cheap one that said I was burning around 1000 cals during my hour long stationary bike ride when in reality it was only around 600. My new stationary bike has a built in HRM and allows for profiles so both my boyfriend and I have a profile. It lets you put in your current weight, your goal weight, your height and so on. I usually burn around 300 or more in 30 minutes about 500 or more in 45 minutes and 600 or more in an hour.
  • Nytefyter
    Options
    Chin up friend. Not only did I not drop a pound, I gained 3! All this despite maintaining my calorie count (I did miss a workout, but I can't believe one workout would have that kind of impact).

I'm in it for the long haul and we'll see what happens next week. Keep me posted and I'll let you know how I fare.
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    you're probably right about your HRM. Don't get discouraged and don't give up. My HRM is just a watch and not the chest strap so I have to underestimate the # it gives me bc I'm not 100% sure of the accuracy. If you msg me, I can send you a website that calculates calories based on height, weight and gender. I don't think I"m allowed to post it here....

DON'T GIVE UP!
    :flowerforyou:
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Me either. Not. One. Pound. ugh.
  • LazyMogg
    LazyMogg Posts: 162
    Options
    Don't worry, Levedi.

I've stayed the same for the past couple of weeks and that seems to be my pattern. I don't let it spoil my week and although I'd like to lose it a bit quicker I can live with it being slow and steady as long as it comes off eventually!

Just keep plugging away and let your body adapt to the new calorie intake. It'll soon start moving the right way again. xx
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Kat,

If your bike doesn't know your fitness level (VO2 Max AKA Aerobic Threshhold), then your bike isn't accurate either.
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Me too, But i'm trying to be positive. I did have to adjust the strap on my HRM this A.M. so maybe i'm losing inches! We'll see what happens this week.
  • Hanzo44
    Hanzo44 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's ok, there are more weeks to come, so you can adjust accordingly. As for inaccurate cal burns, I try to look up the work out at more than one source, rather than just relying on my HRM. And I also low ball myself by 20-100 each time I work out so I have a plus minus factor.

For me(weight, and HR) it seems the rule of thumb is 30 mins=300kcals. 1 hr=600Kcals. Depending on my HR. If I'm tracking in the 160's and I end up with an hour burn of 750 I know is more accurate(but I'll still input 700), but if I'm tracking 130's and it spits out 720 or something, then somethings wrong. Once you work out enough to get general data on your body, it makes it easier to start a routine that works best for you.
  • paulandrea
    paulandrea Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I dont trust my HRM 100% whatever it said i only eat 1/2 of the calories back.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Take heart! I gained 2.4 lbs this week! However, my body fat % is down .53 from 2 weeks ago, and I've lost inches- 2.5 inches from various parts. Sometimes the tape measure tells more than the scale. Don't get discouraged! Keep on keeping on!:smile:
  • Hanzo44
    Hanzo44 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Me too, But i'm trying to be positive. I did have to adjust the strap on my HRM this A.M. so maybe i'm losing inches! We'll see what happens this week.

That's a good point too. rely on how your clothes are fitting, as well as hard numbers on a scale. I put on an old shirt that I knew was tight on me and it was loose, but my scale numbers aren't mind blowing. So you have to assume that you are leaning out, and replacing fat with muscle.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Kat,

If your bike doesn't know your fitness level (VO2 Max AKA Aerobic Threshhold), then your bike isn't accurate either.

If you want as accurate as you can get then yes, using that will get you as close as possible to actual calories burned. However, I don't have but a few pounds to lose so I'm fine with the estimate that my bike gives me.
  • sacfrazier
    Options
    I haven't lost any weight for about 3 weeks now. I have stuck to my calories and have been exercising at least 5 days a week. I am sort of frustrated with my scale, but on the bright side, I can see a change in my body that is confirmed by my tape measure. Try measuring yourself instead of weighing yourself. You might be surprised. In the meantime, I am waiting for my scale to show me a decrease (even a little one).