Help - I suck at cooking chicken breasts!

Options
tolygal
tolygal Posts: 602 Member
I'm eating lots of chicken breasts these days, but I need help with how to cook it. I buy the frozen chicken breasts from Schwans, and I cook it from frozen (most of the time). It's ALWAYS either overdone and really dried out or else it's under done/raw at the thickest part. Any tips? I like to cook them from frozen because there is no pre-planning involved (and I'm just not good at taking things out to thaw). How do you get a nice juicy chicken breast every time? (I usually cook several at a time so I have leftovers for the next day).

Replies

• 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    How are you cooking them?

If you have them thawed, you can thin them out by using a meat mallet. Making cooking them a little easier.
  • 5petalred
    5petalred Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    HI!
    I let mine thaw first but then marinade in a fat free Italian dressing for an hour or so, then bake at 350. Hope that provides an idea for you.
    K
  • funfor5
    funfor5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a George Foreman Grill.....it makes amazing chicken, vegetables, hamburgers, etc.....easy, fast, yummy!! It quickly sears the outside and keeps the inside nice & juicy.....tastes better than the regular grill :flowerforyou:
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I love my George Foreman grill for cooking all kinds of meat. Works like a dream for frozen chicken breasts. I always cut into mine in the thickest spot to check if it's still pink.
  • LovelyTasha
    Options
    Usually I've found that cooking them from frozen is what dries them out. I will soak them in warm water though to get them thawed before cooking.

How are you trying to cook them?
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Do you have a George Foreman type grill?? You can cook frozen chicken breasts on there, just season them, spray the grill with nonstick oil, then cook the breast for 3-4 minutes on each side (I know they claim you don't have to flip them on these grills, but it doesn't cook evenly if you don't). You may have to play around with the time for your appliance. For best results after cooking, plut them on a plate covered in aluminum foil to let them "rest" before cutting into them. Best of luck!:flowerforyou:
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Poach it. It'll be hard to have it come out too dry then.
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I just picked a cook book from the check out aisle at the grocery store called "Chicken Breast Finesse" by "Company's Coming" It's pretty good - not a big cook book, but gave me some good ideas any ways.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Do you keep covered while cooking? I usually put some olive oil on each one.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    i hate chicken breasts and get thighs instead. And I would never try to cook them from frozen, at least microwave them,

The best luck i have is to pound them a little thnner and cook on high heat, then deglase the pan with some veggies and water (I use white wine) making a pan sauce. From there it is just timing. but the sauce makes it easier to not overcook. as does defrosting
  • hskelton
    hskelton Posts: 1
    Options
    How do you cook them? On an electric grill, on a BBQ, in the oven, in a frying pan?

Are you cutting into the chicken breast too often to see if it's done? This would release the "juices" and make the meat dry.

I would suggest baking the chicken breast within some sauce - maybe add water to the sauce because it will thicken as it's cooked.
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    Ha I suck at cooking everything even boiling water I set off the smoke alarm and scorch the pan! I started buying Sam's Choice stuffed chicken breasts. Just pop in oven for 30 mins and voila they are delicious and pre-seasoned!
  • writenina
    writenina Posts: 35
    Options
    Get a probe thermometer that stays in the chicken as you cook it. Perfectly cooked chicken every time!
  • mkfehringer
    Options
    My husband taught me to boil them til basically done (from frozen about 20 min) then drench in Italian dressing or whatever seasoning and grill. They are usually moist and that way we insure they are fully cooked.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I always defrost mine in the microwave prior to cooking them. That way I can season them a little bit. Have you tried doing that?
  • jhbfuntobefit
    Options
    I would atleast thaw them in the microwave first for a little bit. Then use a little evoo or veg oil heat the pan on med heat. Season the chicken then add to the pan and brown on both sides then turn down the heat to med low and cover and cook for 20 more min depending on the thickness of the chicken. The browning process helps lock in the juices and cook on low keeps it from drying out. Hope this helps.
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    yeah the meat mallet is the greatest... nice even cooking... plus burn a few cals pounding that chicken lol... or if you're mad it gets some frustrations out ... that's what i use... or i marinate in italian dressing and bake it, or you could also cut it into chunks n throw it in a veggie stir fry
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I just put them frozen on a dry grill pan (sometimes I spray Pam on it). I have one of those pans with the raised "grilled" things, and I have a grill press that I place on top of them - it helps press it down, and I think it helps keep the heat in so maybe they thaw easier? I'd do one of those george forman grills, but can't find one where you can remove the grill plates, and I hate washing them otherwise.

Sorry for the quick/messy post - have to run to a meeting!
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    To simply answer your question put all your chicken breast in the center of tinfoil add all your seasonings wrap it up in the tinfoil and when it unfreezes the water will help keep it juicy from frozen you prolly put it on 400 for about 40 minutes depending on the size of the breast
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Don't cook them frozen... add a little bit of water in the pan (kind of like you are steaming them).. also you could try broiling them (again with a little bit of water in the pan) if you have to cook them frozen.