Help - I suck at cooking chicken breasts!

Options

Replies

• joceymanda
    Options
    Hi. I have a suggestion for you.

If you forget to take out the chicken to thaw in the morning, set it in a strainer and run cool water over it for about 10 minutes.

My favorite way to cook chicken is by fashioning a press with 2 skillets.

First I'll marinate the chicken for a few minutes, about 10. then take the chicken and the marinade and put it all into a 12-in skillet. I cover the chicken with foil and put a smaller skillet on top of that. I put a dishtowel in the top skillet and then place a brick in the top skillet. This creates a press... I cook the chicken like that for about 6 - 8 minutes. I then take off the brick, skillet, and foil, flip the chicken and put everything back on to make the press. I cook it for another 4 minutes. I keep the temp at med-high. The time might vary for you, check before you flip to see how well the chicken is cooking...

When cooked like this, the chicken is always juicy and full of flavor.
  • Vanishing_Gordies
    Options
    1lb chicken breast + 1 jar salsa + crockpot = yummy dinner. Grab some tortillas, beans and cheese and you have a meal!
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    Do you defrost in the microwave? An easy recipe is to take one thawed breast cut it up into bite sized pieces, sprinkle and toss with a little salt, pepper, garlic powder and then fry in a pan of hot extra virgin olive oil until the outside of each piece is light golden brown. You then can use this to do just about anything. Toss on top of a salad, mix it in with rice and veggies, I even do this and make a low calorie bbq chicken pizza. Its a versatile and easy way to cook chicken :)
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    To simply answer your question put all your chicken breast in the center of tinfoil add all your seasonings wrap it up in the tinfoil and when it unfreezes the water will help keep it juicy from frozen you prolly put it on 400 for about 40 minutes depending on the size of the breast

this too... meal in foil!
  • jay586
    jay586 Posts: 133
    Options
    boil the chicken breasts much easier and faster
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Please don't defrost any meat in warm water, it causes bacteria to grow. If you need to quick defrost, either use your defrost setting on the microwave, or put in a bowl in the sink and let the cold water run constantly, a small drip is fine. The best way is in the fridge over night, but definitely not in hot water.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I was going to say brine them first, but since they're frozen, they're probably pumped full of sodium already.

Bake in the oven at 350, in a small pan with the juice of 1 or 2 lemons. Use a cooking thermometer in the thickest part. Pull them when they're 155 and let them sit for 5 minutes. They should get to 160.

The mallet idea is good too. Flatten and cook on a grill or iron skillet.

Or sear them on a hot grill or skillet then finish in the oven (this ends up being much faster than straight-up baking them).

Edit: Oh, and perhaps most importantly - make sure they are fully defrosted before cooking. If you're in a hurry, put them in a bowl of COLD water, and put in the fridge for a few hours.
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I always thaw mine! I don't preplan too much, maybe one or two hours before I wanna start dinner! I put them in the sink with water and they thaw rather quickly. If you want to plan ahead more, you could put them in the fridge in the morning or even the night before. Planning your meals ahead is good for staying on track. I also like to cut my chicken breast down the middle length wise (horizontally). I find that the breast I buy are too large for a single serving, so by cutting them in half I can make sure we stick better to servings then being tempted to eat it all, and it cooks better that way as well! I sometimes put them in a skillet, or in the oven. If I bake it in the oven then I set the oven to 400 degrees and cook the 4 pieces (from 2 breasts) for about 20-25 minutes. It usually does the trick and they are juicy!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I recommend cooking from a thawed state. cooking from frozen will generally result in uneven cooking as the center will still generally be frozen after the outside has already overcooked.

It usually takes 48-72 hours to thaw in the refrigerator, so you can plan ahead and pull them from the freezer to the fridge in time.
    After they are thawed I'll usually go with either a plain pepper, salt and EVOO and throw em on the grill or maybe a teriyaki or bbq glaze.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I try to never cut them. I'm going to look at those george foreman grills tonight!! Maybe I can find a good one! Thanks for all the tips - I'll read them more thoroughly later!!
  • katibug
    katibug Posts: 2
    Options
    I have never tried this but its been sitting in my "recipes to try" bookmarks file for a while.

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/tips-techniques/kitchen-magic-how-to-cook-moist-and-tender-chicken-breasts-036891
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    put them in the crockpot with some chicken stock...cook on low all day while at work. They wont be dried out. I do this allllllll the time, and i cook mine from frozen as well.
  • marksharman1967
    marksharman1967 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well, the easy answer would be defrost it first! This would ensure you can get an even cook.

That aside, I would suggest steaming or poaching as this would be the gentlest methods. To get maximum flavor you could either boach in a nice flavorful broth or add some herbs and spices before starting the steam.

Another idea is to get the chicken in a pan over a low heat and brown it off to the point where you can get a knife through it. This would then allow you to cut it into pieces, return it to the pan to brown the cut edges and then go from there. The key here is a nice gentle heat.

With all the above, you need to make sure you get an internal temp of 160F+.

A different thought would be to buy fresh chicken pieces and dice them etc when you have more time. You can bag and freeze them once they are diced into chucks and can then be added to a tomato sauce or a broth for a quick chicken soup from frozen. again, make sure they are cooked through and that the sauce has boiled after the chicken has been added.
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    You need to defrost first, otherwise, they will be tough as you will need to cook them twice the amount of time and that will dry them out. You can defrost in the microwave in less than 7 minutes.

What I HIGHLY recommend is that you defrost and then brine them (salt and water - google brining chicken) as that keeps the moisture in the chicken when you cook them. You can do several at a time and then use throughout the week.

Good luck!
  • kianaik
    kianaik Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I throw several frozen chicken breasts in the crockpot to cook with just a tad of water and they come out juicy. Then I've always got some extras to keep in the fridge to use in other recipes. It shreds easily that way too.
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I personally have found that boiling them for about 10-15 minutes before cooking them helps with getting them cooked just right. I boil them and rinse off then cook them however I want them for the night. They come out cooked thru and thru but not dry enough to choak a person.. I use a george forman grill alot and I grill on my bbq pitt alot... Good luck...Congrats on the weight loss also...
  • chloecat80
    Options
    I usually cook from frozen too, what I usually do is use a little cooking spray or olive oil in the pan. Then place the frozen chicken breasts in the pan with about 1/2 a cup of water, add some spices if you wish (I use Kirkland salt free Organic seasoning) and cook it on low (3 on my stove) with the lid ON, turning it over every once in a while. It takes about 30 minutes or so, I usually cut the breasts into halves, this way there are smaller pieces and you can see how they are cooking. If they are done and there is still water, just take the lid off and let it steam away. When I make them this way they are never dry!

Hope this helps.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    defrost them in water with salt and pepper in it and you can also add any type of spice to it but, make sure you have the salt thats the key to osmosis, this will leave your meat with flavor and moisture your looking for.
    cook it in a stir fry, or on the grill with a small pack of wood chips warped in foil over the coal to give it a Smokey flavor.
    or just on the GF grill
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I agree with those above. Get yourself a George Foreman Grill. Whenever I cook them frozen I use it. When cooking from a frozen state, it really seals in the juices. Heat it to about 360 degrees, then put the chicken on and close the grill. I flip mine over after about 7-8 min. They are always really juciy and moist. One way to check if they are cooked without cutting into it, is to press down on the breast. If it feels smooshy then it is not done. If it is firm, then it should be cooked. If it is a little under done when you cut into it, just keep grilling for a few more minutes.

I do not sprinle seasonings on mine, because I think the seasoning just burns and doesn't taste very good. You could marinate them first and then grill them.

Get a George Foreman, I promise you will love it!!
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    To simply answer your question put all your chicken breast in the center of tinfoil add all your seasonings wrap it up in the tinfoil and when it unfreezes the water will help keep it juicy from frozen you prolly put it on 400 for about 40 minutes depending on the size of the breast

This is how we cook them....seasoned, wrapped in foil and baked. Always come out juicy!