Healthy Lunch?

Options
I'm struggling with lunch options. For awhile I've been eating cold cuts without the bread, but it gets super boring. Plus we all know that cold cuts are loaded with sodium! Today I had a cup of soup with a few croutons in it...again...tons of sodium. I'm at a loss! Anyone have any great lunch ideas??

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting here eating a really great salad for lunch. Lots of greens, veggies, fat free cheese, croutons, grilled chicken, fat free dressing, and whole wheat crackers.
  • monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    stuffed bell peppers- you can prepare the night before: cook ground turkey w/spices & onions/carrots/brown rice togehter

then hollow out hte bell peppers, stuff meat mixture inside then put them in ziplock steam bags- next day steam them for 3 minutes int he bags, perfection and low fat/cal!
  • Arielnesika
    Arielnesika Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Tuna salad. Even though I'm not a big fish fan, there's only like 100 calories in an entire can. If you add a little mustard or whatever you like ( I use canned jalapenos) and use it as a dip for lo-cal crackers it can be a perfect high-protein, low calorie lunch a couple times a week.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    If I'm making a good healthy dinner I sometimes try to make enough to take some with me for lunch the next day. Stir fries (loaded with veg & quinoa) are particularly good for that.

I agree that salads are also awesome, and usually pretty easy to put together, too, if you buy the pre-cut salad mix or baby spinach. Toss in your favourite veg, put some dressing in a container on the side. To save time you could spend one evening grilling proteins, then refrigerate them for salads for the rest of the week.

I also really like a few tablespoons of hummus with lots of carrots, peppers, and some whole grain crackers.

Good luck!
  • dailyorange
    dailyorange Posts: 128
    Options
    I'll be having a chicken fajita salad today. I cut up some chicken breast, onions and peppers and put them in a tupperware. For a marinade I'll add some light italian dressing, garlic powder and onion powder. Pop it into the fridge the night before, then just stir fry it the next day and your'e done! Quick and easy with a little side of prep time.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I'm having a bbq chicken (open face) sandwich for lunch. Basically i had some shredded chicken, added some bbq sauce to it this morning and brought in a hamburger bun. You could use a bagel thin too if you wanted. Yesterday I had a turkey sandwich, i bring salads, tuna (with mustard & jalepenos), homemade minestrone soup, turkey meatballs & spaghetti, etc... I do a lot of leftovers for lunch - i try to make a lot for dinner so there's lots of leftovers to take to lunch. :)
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Brown rice with a grilled chicken breast and a side of steamed veggies with a couple of tablespoons of teriyaki sauce drizzled over it all. This could all be prepped the night before and microwaved at work for a minute or so. Just vary the quantity of each item to get the number of calories you are looking for.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    wasa rye crisps (2) and some tuna salad ( I happen to like frenchs yellow mustard with some pepper and roasted red pepper seasoning mixed in)
  • biellas
    biellas Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm so saving this thread for future reference. Yummy ideas!
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I eat grilled chicken almost every day because it's lean, low cal and high in protein. I just make extra and put it in my sandwich instead of cold cuts. I think it's way better than cold cuts, plus you get lots of protein (and much more filling). I like to heat it though. Put it with whole wheat bread add some greens and a frut and you've got a nice balanced, easy lunch!
  • xTry2Defyx
    xTry2Defyx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    wow all awesome ideas! Especially the stuffed pepper- yum!!
    Thanks guys!