Elliptical vs Treadmill

Options
There is probably already a thread or two going about this but I'm just curious... What would you rather do? Elliptical or jogging on a Treadmill? And which do you think is better?

Replies

• RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Elliptical. It's my strong point and easier on my knees.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I used to be an elliptical person, but longed for something different. I started trying to jog and now I can run. I usually switch off between the 2 now, but get a better burn on the elliptical!
  • angieralkey
    angieralkey Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like the Elliptical! I use the Precor AMT 100i at the gym and it isn't a regular elliptical! It is a hard workout without the strain on my joints. The impact of treadmills do not work for me! I vote for Ellipticals!
  • aloupe1985
    Options
    I specificially would prefer the elliptical over any other exercise. I have bad knees, so it allows me to workout those problem areas. I think you burn more calories on the elliptical and it just not as borning as a treadmill. So I'm 110% all for elliptical!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    treadmill. hate ellipticals
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Elliptical!
  • jbedoun
    jbedoun Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Elliptical for sure. I can stay on it for 30-45 minutes, where on the treadmill my knees and shins start hurting after 5-10 minutes.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I specificially would prefer the elliptical over any other exercise. I have bad knees, so it allows me to workout those problem areas. I think you burn more calories on the elliptical and it just not as borning as a treadmill. So I'm 110% all for elliptical!

100% this.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    treadmill. hate ellipticals

Reason?
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is definately easier on your body, but I feel like I work harder and get stronger faster while running. Never really check the cal burn between the two (I haven't done the elliptical in a long time since I have a treadmill at home).
  • n0pants3ver
    n0pants3ver Posts: 175
    Options
    Elliptical! You burn more calories and it really targets my butt! lol
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I like them both -- but I would prefer running outside. I have seen posts where people said that they "ran" 3 miles on the elliptical. While I think you get a burn and its good for you, it is not the same thing as actually running. I love running... so therefore for that reason I would have to pick the treadmill.
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Jogging! Feels so much more natural to me, and it feels better for me to workout when I'm using my own power, rather than being wrapped up in a machine and tied into the machine's momentum.

However, an elliptical uses mostly the same muscle groups as jogging, but without the impact, so it's a great alternative.
  • WillWorkout4Food
    WillWorkout4Food Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I used to be an elliptical person, but longed for something different. I started trying to jog and now I can run. I usually switch off between the 2 now, but get a better burn on the elliptical!

I agree, sometimes it's good to mix it up a little.

The treadmill is good because it forces your pace to be consistent. I sweat a lot more, but I can achieve the same burn on an elliptical if I add 15 minutes to my workout.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you don't have joint problems the treadmill is better, much better. jogging is a natural motion by your body while the elliptical leg and arm motion is not and anything you gain, other than endurance, from the elliptical will not translate to the "real world" whereas in the real word people walk, run, jump, bike, jog, swim, but nothing like the elliptical.

PS I burn a lot more cals on the treadmill than the elliptical. Don't go by cals burned according to the machine, use a HRM instead it is the only way to compare the 2 for calories burned.
  • CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i love the elliptical. However, I do switch it up and push myself on the treadmill because I would love to be able to run but right now the impact on my knees is too much so i will walk for 10 or 15 minutes then run on the treadmill for a couple of minutes and then beat my *kitten* on the elliptical at a level 10 for 60 minutes ....
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Elliptical! Much more comfy on the joints. Also a great core strengthening exercise if you don't hold on to arm pumps or handles and balance yourself over the foot beds.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    If you don't have joint problems the treadmill is better, much better. jogging is a natural motion by your body while the elliptical leg and arm motion is not and anything you gain, other than endurance, from the elliptical will not translate to the "real world" whereas in the real word people walk, run, jump, bike, jog, swim, but nothing like the elliptical.

PS I burn a lot more cals on the treadmill than the elliptical. Don't go by cals burned according to the machine, use a HRM instead it is the only way to compare the 2 for calories burned.

agreed. though i find ellipticals give crazy amounts of calories burned in one hour when i last used one.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Since i'm still a big girl, the treadmill for jogging just isn't something I can do for more than a few minutes at a time. For some reason, the treadmill also makes my right foot also ache where this doesn't happen on the elliptical. I can go 2+ miles on the elliptical and get a better burn than the treadmill.
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i hate ellipticals for the reason stated above. treadmills are a natural progression to something i love which is walking.

when i don't feel like going for a walk i simply get on my treadmill. i have one at home and its easy to just get on for a few minutes when i have spare time.

after being on it for a while i simply progressed to jogging which helps my fitness even more.