Weight loss goal per week you set in MFP-help!

Options
melsinct
melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
Hi, I am confused about what to set for my weight loss goal. I joined MFP a month ago and of course I said "I want to lose weight fast!" so I set it up to lose 1.5 pounds a week, which puts me at 1200 calories per day. I also have it set to "sedentary" as I am a desk worker, then I input exercise manually.

So here is my dilemma: I lost weight quickly at first, then for the past week I have lost a whopping 0.2 ounces. Does this just happen sometimes where you may not lose for a week then your body just gets going again? Should I change my goal to lose 1 pound per week and eat more calories (that would bring me up to 1360/day)?

As a background: I am 5'7", started at 175 pounds, am currently 168 pounds, and am looking to drop 30 and stop at 145 (subject to change, of course). Also, I eat close to my exact calories daily and eat a balanced diet- lots of vegetables, only whole grains, no fake foods, etc. I have been only doing light exercise lately (short walks that I log) because I recently had stitches in my knee and can't bend it well just yet.

Replies

• scgma
    scgma Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    be sure to measure...the scale can lie..LOL...as you lose weight, things shift..you might be losing inches and not lbs.!!!
  • mvonk1016
    mvonk1016 Posts: 19
    Options
    I second the measuring!!!

Also, if you are working out don't forget to swich things up. Your body will get use to the same'ol thing. If you are walking on the treadmill add hand weights for 2 min every 5. Increase the intensity and the incline. Same goes if you are just walking your neighborhood. I'm right there with you the first week (last week) I lost 5#'s, now this week I have only lost 1.5#.
    Don't give up! We are in this together!

:wink:
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Does this just happen sometimes where you may not lose for a week then your body just gets going again?
    Yes, even if you follow MFP as it suggests you are not going to lose exactly 1.5 lbs each week. There will be weeks that you lose less, none or even gain. You just have to stay consistent and keep at it.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Figures, as soon as I post this BAM! the scale moves!

I have been hovering between 167.2 and 167.4 for over a week. This morning I am 165. Woohoo! It sucks when you try to do everything right and the scale doesn't budge!