Drugs and Weight loss

Options
Ok, so I had a Dr. appt today with my neruologist.

-backround- I've had migraines for four years now, after detox from all pain meds the migraines almost completely stopped, however the loss of vision, dizziness, and tunnel vision all persisted.-

So today, the neurologist decided he thinks that I am still having migraines, just not the pain that goes with it (thank God). In other words, I have all the visual signs of a migraine, but feel fine. So he put on a seizure medication that acts as a visual migraine medication. He read me the list of side effects, nothing uncommon, until he said "and marked weight loss" !! I tried to hide my excitement. However on my drive home I was thinking, and I have a few concerns.

I'm only taking in 1300 calories a day, plus working out 5 times a week (usually). So now I'm not sure if I should up my calories so that I don't lose weight too quickly. I don't want to do things unhealthily. Or should I wait and see how my body reacts to the medication first? AND then it hit me, I feel like I'm cheating now. I've lost 15 pounds on my own, and I don't want to feel like I'm losing weight just because of this medication. I really want to lose this weight myself, because I know I can!! Anyway, what I'm saying is I'm at a loss on how to handle my diet and this medication??? I would appreciate your feedback! Thanks.

Replies

• ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Did you discuss your concerns with your doctor? This is exactly the sort of question that you should ask the one who prescribed this drug to you.

Please, for this matter, don't seek the advice of anyone on MFP until you've spoken about this with your doctor.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I would recommend just keeping an eye on it - if its really dramatic, go back and check in with your doc.

try not to worry or stress about it until you start to really notice the effects.

and don't feel like you are cheating - its something you need.

trust me - i am the king of stressing and worrying, and know it's easier said than done.

one day at a time and keep a good eye on it.
  • rhiannon1979
    rhiannon1979 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think I would wait it out to see if the new medication does have the weight loss effect on you. If you start losing more than 1.5-2 lbs a week after taking it for a couple weeks, then you may want to increase your intake.

Glad you have gotten past the horrible pain of migraines. I know a few people who suffer from them and know that they are miserable with them.
  • clothes_of_sand
    Options
    I would wait and see how you react to the drug. You might try asking your doctor if you're unsure, since it could be problematic to be on a reduced calorie diet while taking the medicine. But, if you don't call your doctor and ask, then wait to see how the drug affects you before you change anything.
  • leahsevilla
    leahsevilla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I used to take topamax (that's the drug you're referring to correct?) Like you I also eat around 1100-1500 cals/day and workout 5x/week and EVERY time I start taking topamax for my migraines i instantly lose 5-10 lbs. I think that it's because I am less hungry therefor eat less and also if I do maintain the caloric intake as normal I still lose the weight. However, I usually gain a few lbs of the weight back as the medicine gets settled into my system. AND immediately after stopping the meds all the weight comes back, and not a lb more.

If you have ANY questions about it let me know, I took it for over 2 years combined (3 different times)

Ps. it works like a charm for migraines and you may experience tingly feet and hands as if your they are just waking up from being asleep.
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I would wait and see what the medication does to you before changing anything major, but make sure to eat all of your calories and workout calories in the meantime. Side effects don't happen to everyone who uses a medication. If you find yourself feeling excessively hungry or losing weight at too quick of a pace when you're eating your recommended calories plus your workout calories, you can always up your calories then...
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    A side effect is not a given. You may have no weight gain from it. I would talk to your Dr. and monitor it.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    If I was in your shoes, I would wait to change my eating habits, once I saw how my body reacted to the medicine. But, that is me! Do what you feel most comfortable with.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I am in the "wait and see" camp on this one. In addition to logging your food & exercise for the next couple of weeks, you may want to add a log of how you feel, any side effects you feel you are having, etc. That might be a good barometer for you. Good luck, and glad you are not in pain anymore.:smile:
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    You have all the advice you need here already - so I'll just add my best wishes with respect to sorting out the migraine problems.x
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about you today cause remembered you were seeing the doctor, and was hoping for good news. Sorry for what it is, but glad it isn't anything worse. I would do what you have been doing all along and see what happens. As long as you are working out and eating healthy, you aren't cheating. You have got to still to do those things even when you come off the meds later, even if they help to lose weight, so you can keep it off. You'll do just fine!!!