People on MFP with asthma??

Options
Any tips on controling asthma during a workout? My asthma was allergy induced but recently its been worse when Im exercising or active. Its not terrible but it still makes working out difficult sometimes. So anybody out there with the same problem? any tips are appreciated!

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I treat it with exercise. You have to start with low intensity and go slow. Long warm ups are very important. Also, take your inhaler before your workout as a preventative. I highly recommend yoga to learn breathing while exercising. As you progress in yoga with breathing practice, you will get better at breathing through other workouts too. It will eventually increase your lung capacity and decrease asthma symptoms from exercise.
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I take Advair on a regular basis but I use my short term inhaler about 15 minutes before I exercise. Go slow and build up. Your lungs will get stronger but don't try to rush. And when enough is enough, STOP for the day.

Good Luck!
  • kh0215
    kh0215 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have asthma. I am treating it with exercise. I was on Symbacort, nasacort, and singulair. Now just taking the singulair. I do keep my inhaler handy during hard workouts. I have given up running. But found a love of yoga
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. A while ago, my allergist told me if I lost some weight, it would help my asthma symptoms. My trainer recommended hitting my inhaler 20 mins or so before I start a work out session. But it's definitely been getting worse over the last few months -- to the point where I stash my inhaler in my gym bra (no pockets, so hurray for cleavage). Finally, I caved in and made an appointment to see my allergist to have my medications re-evaluated. I'm seeing her on Friday.

So, my recommendations. Use your emergency inhaler 20-30 mins before you start to work-out. If that doesn't help, you might want to make an appointment to see your doctor. We can't mess with our asthma. It 's probably the safest/smartest way to proceed.
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I have the EXACT same problem. I'll take Singular or Zyrtec at night after diner and before bed. I exercise in the morning and when I get up I'll see how I feel and if I need nose spray or my inhaler. I exercise in the morning so if I do use all of those things I'll adjust my RHR. I noticed my RHR increases significantly when I take all of my medicine.
    Good luck!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I have moderately severe asthma, I flare with any significant exercise (both cardio and with weight training usually) and usually at least 3-4 times a week for no reason.
    I take my inhaler before I run ... and usually after too because that is when I go into bronchospasm. I do not need to take my inhaler after weight training sessions or lighter cardio workouts.
    I used to be stubborn and insist it was related to my weight -- but its not!

And yes you can run ... with asthma... even significant asthma! :)
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I have asthma too and recently asthmatic bronchitis. I just keep my inhaler handy. I'm not on any preventives because I dont have flare ups frequently enough to warrant it. But the more you workout/run, the more your lungs will get accustomed to it. The C25K program is a great program for building up to running. I had no problems with asthma while I was doing it.
  • Amanda_Runs
    Amanda_Runs Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma...so I ONLY have issues when my heart rate goes up and my breathing becomes faster. I still run and do everything that I want to do. I just take my inhaler with me whenever I run.
    It does get better just as everyone said. Just condition your lungs!
  • K_Shep
    K_Shep Posts: 7
    Options
    Ok well i dont actually know that much about asthma, just what my regular doctor has told me. I just "developed" it this past year, and i know i should research it but ive been lazy about it. I have a pulmicort inhaler. sometimes it feels like it takes a long time to work after ive started wheezing. how long does it generally take for an inhaler to start making asthma symptoms go away (If im having allergies i take zyrtec-d)
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have exercise & cold weather induced asthma. It gets really bad when it comes to cardio. I take my inhaler before I workout and while I am working out when needed. As I become fitter my asthma also tends to improve, but I always still need the inhaler before cardio workout sessions no matter what. I have never been able to run very far at all so my goal for this year is to complete a 5k, regardless of how fast I go, but that means overcoming asthma & knee problems!! But you can do whatever you set your mind to, you will get past the asthma problem for the most part over time.
  • Katherine_Nelson
    Katherine_Nelson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are going through! I played volleyball throughout high school and would always have difficulties breathing whenever we would work out. I ended up going to the doctor for it and he told me that i had the type of asthma that is "sports enduced". I prevented it by carrying an inhaler with me just in case and I also found that avoiding cardio and doing more of the strength training helped keep my breathing under control!
  • jamielee37
    jamielee37 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are going through! I played volleyball throughout high school and would always have difficulties breathing whenever we would work out. I ended up going to the doctor for it and he told me that i had the type of asthma that is "sports enduced". I prevented it by carrying an inhaler with me just in case and I also found that avoiding cardio and doing more of the strength training helped keep my breathing under control!

Agreed. I rarely if ever have asthma symptoms unless i'm exercising, hence my doctor saying that i have exercise induced asthma. Give yourself a burst from the inhaler before you do anything cardio wise and your symptoms should decrease. Also, I found while running that I really have to progress slowly-I was trying to go too fast when I first started training, but once I kicked my speed down just a half mph, I found my lungs would cooperate. I had to run at 5.5 mph instead of 6 (which felt more natural to me) but I can now run at 6 pretty comfortably. And make sure to WARM UP! very important to give your lungs a warning shot. lol
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    ^^what every one else said. Lol. I use my albuterol inhaler about 15-30 min before I do cardio and keep it handy just in case. I always build up with a good warm up pace before I run at all and I avoid running or working out in cold temps at all because it causes a flair up almost twice as fast as normal weather does. Other than that, just pay close attention to your breathing and you can do whatever cardio you want. :happy:
  • vdaniela3
    vdaniela3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ok well i dont actually know that much about asthma, just what my regular doctor has told me. I just "developed" it this past year, and i know i should research it but ive been lazy about it. I have a pulmicort inhaler. sometimes it feels like it takes a long time to work after ive started wheezing. how long does it generally take for an inhaler to start making asthma symptoms go away (If im having allergies i take zyrtec-d)

You need to get a rescue inhaler,like albuterol. Pulmicort is your steroid,preventive. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options

You need to get a rescue inhaler,like albuterol. Pulmicort is your steroid,preventive. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    That's correct as far as I know. Pulmicort users are encouraged to have a "rescue" inhaler for emergencies. My albuterol takes maybe a minute or so to start working if I take it when I'm having trouble breathing.
  • vdaniela3
    vdaniela3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

That's correct as far as I know. Pulmicort users are encouraged to have a "rescue" inhaler for emergencies. My albuterol takes maybe a minute or so to start working if I take it when I'm having trouble breathing.

Thanks. I don't have asthma,but my 7 yr old does. We use Pulmicort as his daily preventive,Albuterol for emergencies. And that is all I have to add to the thread, lol. Everyone else covered it pretty well.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    now this is a post, I just love to reply to..........I used to have exercise induced asthma at 341 lbs and could only stay on the tread mill for 10 mins

Breathe in thru your nose, out thru your mouth........thats how I did it, and DONT GET OFF THE TREADMILL until you meet your goal.........anxiety and panic used to set in, until I just said no more, Im going to stay on here regardless..........

now today, I used the eliptical for one hour 30 minutes and did intermintent strength training for 40 mins with out using my Asthmanex inhaler of my bronchiodialator.................

I am now able to do this because Im 121 lbs lighter . Just start out slow, like I said 10 mins is all I could handle, and because of staying focused and not giving up, I tossed BOTH types of inhaler, the bronchiodialtor for INSTANT RELEIF ,and the ASTHMANEX for long term

All I can say is that if you really really want to kick asthma in the *kitten*, exercise, exercise and then exercise.......

Im not a medical professional, but my Dr is the one who insisted that I exercise, even for 10 mins at a time.........its a start

Last Sunday, I spent 3 hours doing cardio at my gym............see, miracles do happen..............Best wishes , pm me if you would like Lloyd
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

100% agree - thanks for posting this I was going to add something tonight. Im an NP ... so I am a medical geek and albuterol (ventolin, proair brand names) is the ONLY rescue inhaler that you should be using when you have symptoms. All of the other meds are to prevent symptoms ... not to rescue you in you are already in trouble.