BMR

Options
Hello!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this.... My BMR is 1409. Am I suppose to eat 1409 calories???

Need help understanding this.

Replies

• jacgray
    jacgray Posts: 34
    Options
    bump
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    You should eat what MFP tells you to eat based on the settings that you entered when you signed up.
  • jram70
    jram70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    That is the required calories to just sit around and do nothing all day. Yes you should eat at least that. I would just use the calculator to figure out what your calories should be under the goals tab.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    As stated BMR is the number of calories you would burn if you did nothing at all through the day. I am assuming your 1409 number comes from one of the many estimators out there. If you eat the number of calories that are you BMR, you will lose weight. Also as stated, just follow the number myfitnesspal says you should eat until you get a better handle on things. They do all the calculations for you, and what they suggest seems to work just fine. I have started to change mine in recent times because I am getting close to the end of my weight loss, and want to get closer to maintenance level. That will slow down my weight loss, but will help in adapting to a completely different way of eating than I have done for over a year.
  • megpiemac12
    Options
    I had asked this before also! :) My BMR says 1470 but then when I calculated my calories it said I should eat 1200 a day. I'm still confused so just try to stick around the 1200 calorie mark.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Can we just say it? Figuring out a true calorie count/need for you is CONFUSING! It drives me nuts, because when I look it up online, there are conflicting figures. I spoke with a nutritionist once who told me she could not imagine telling ANYBODY to eat under 1,700 calories a day. You also hear the figures 1,200 and 1,500 for weight loss thrown around, but it doesn't seem to take into account YOU -- your body type, how much muscle you have, how active you are, etc.

All that being said, put as much info into MFP as you can where they ask for your activity level, etc., and go with it for now. Tweak it if it doesn't work for you. Good luck!:smile:
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You can use MFP to calculate your daily needs. But if you want a formula to figure out how many calories you should eat for MAINTENANCE ,use this:

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs (TDEE), multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

If you are looking to lose weight, start by eating about 10% less than the number calculated for your TDEE.

In other words, if your BMR is 1,400 and you work out 1-3 days per week, your TDEE would be 1,925. I'd suggest starting by dropping your calories to 1,732 and gauge your results. Be careful though!!!! It's not safe to lose more than 2 lbs per week.
  • Jentrin03
    Jentrin03 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for their help!!!