Problems on the Elliptical

Options
Seriously, I can not handle the machine for more than about 3 minutes - on a good day! What the heck is that about??? I do fine on the treadmill - but the elliptical and me just do not like each other.

Anyone else have this problem? I'd really love to learn how to do it longer - it seems to burn more calories....

Replies

• fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I hate this machine too. Kicks my butt every time I try it. I'm up to 5 minutes now. :laugh:
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    BUMP - I have the same problem although I suspect if I got on it more often and pushed myself, it would come in time....that thing scares the HECK outta' me - ha!
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is hard work!! I try to alternate by going at a slower pace, then faster, then slow again. I do this for as long as I can. Half the time i don't even feel like I'm doing anything, but i burn about 190 calories in 20 minutes according to my HRM. Just do what you can and eventually your time will go up!
  • ambermichk
    ambermichk Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    me !!!!!!!! i feel so uncoordinated on it, almost like i am going to fall off, i seem to be working harder than everyone else at it......seems i am doing something wrong with it......guess i best stay on on the treadmill !!
  • CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When I started going to the gym September 2010 I could only get on the treadmill for a minute and a half. Then a week later I pushed myself to two minutes and every week I would bump myself up another 30 seconds. It seems like forever while you are on the elliptical but it is well worth it in the long run. For the last few months I have been able to hang on the elliptical for an hour or more at a higher level of intensity. So you can do it, it will just take time and you pushing yourself.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    You just have to do it as often as you can even if it's only for a minute at a time. I used to do this when I first got one. I'd go for a minute to three minutes at a time and thought then I was doing good! haha. Now, the longest time I've been on it at once was 90 minutes. How completely boring! I suggest watching t.v. or listening to music.
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I had the same problem when i started, its not easy! Just keep at it. I could only do a few minutes when I started and now I am up to 20 minutes.
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    I think that is the normal reaction for beginners at least it was for me! I couldn't handle it for 3 mins when I first started either. I thought my heart was going to pound out of my chest and I could barely breathe and my chest hurt! It's been 7 mos and I can now do 30 mins with 5 mins cooldown (total 35) I've never done over 40 mins total yet. (once I did 35 mins with 5 min cooldown) You just have to build up to it and I'm still using level 1 on manual level ha ha! Yes it does burn more calories than the treadmill in the same amount of time at least it does for me. That's the ONLY reason I put up with it ugh!
  • sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    It's something you have to build up on! When I started it, I could only do 5 minutes. Now, I can do 30+. Make sure to STRETCH before you go on! If I don't stretch, I hurt!
  • starboardzor
    Options
    I love the elliptical. I'm a runner too, but I try to switch it up with the elliptical. No matter what kind of shape you're in you can manipulate it so that you can still handle it and get a good workout. It just takes some time playing with the settings. Keep messing with the resistance and the incline until you find something that works for you.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    What exactly is it that is hard for you to handle? Is something hurting/getting sore while doing it? Or is it just winding you real well?
  • suejake11
    suejake11 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem at 1st. I have gradually been able to adjust to it. But here is something else I have found--the gym I go to has several different brands, and some of them I do NOT like at all! If you have access to different brands, try out some different ones and see if you can find one that works for you.
  • IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The Elliptical can be your best friend if you go slow and build up your time on it. When I first started on it, I could only do 10min. then I would switch to the treadmill. That was 6 years ago. Now I can do over 1 hr on the thing with the right music. (700+ calories) It burns a lot more calories than the standard treadmill because it works more muscle groups at the same time. Stick with it if you can. It will definitely be worth it in the end. :happy:
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that I have nothing new to add! The truth is when I first started on the elliptical, like you I could barely go 3 minutes! Determination, passion, Grit, these are the things that will get you there.

I just kept going back and like others, just stayed on one more minute. It really helps me to have a great set of tunes that really pump you up, and distract me from the hard work. Put a towel over the numbers and just go as long as you can. The next day, go longer. Push yourself! It is definitely true that you burn more cals, you are using more body parts more vigorously. For me, it is about the the burn. I want the most burn for my time. Today, I burn 750-760 cals for an hour of dripping in sweat, hard work.

You can do it too!!! Get busy, lady!
  • ildi59
    ildi59 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm there with you, I can do the treadmill for an hour or more have the incline between 6-10 at about 3.5 mph but 3-4 min on the elliptical kills me, can't breath, feels like my heart is going to jump out of my chest and my legs are just noodles. Everybody keeps saying to stick with it but it kills me (:
  • mvonk1016
    mvonk1016 Posts: 19
    Options
    I have the opposite problem, I can't stand the treadmill. I do understand that it is somthing to get used to though.
    I don't know what kind you have, but some are easier than others. I personally like the stair stepper elliptial combo. When you get on, you have to start stepping, then with your arms you can control the swing of your legs. This also helps get a better upper body work out. With the machine I work on it shows you what mussles you are working on, with how far you are swinging. Once you get used to it i think you will love it.

Good Luck :happy:
  • Dkittery
    Dkittery Posts: 82
    Options
    I'm basically going to say the same thing. Don't give up. I'm a smoker and I thought I was going to die when I first got on it, I started at 10 minutes at level 4 and only doing 5.5 miles per hour, The setting was random. A year and 5 months later I'm up to 20 minutes, at level 6 and going about 6.5 to 7 miles per hour, then I switch to the bike for another 20 minutes. The setting on the bike is also random so the level of intensity is easy and then hard. I go about 14 miles per hour. i burn just over 100 calories.

My body isn't reacting to my work outs anymore so this week I started the stair climber, this kick my butt.... I did last 20 minutes, set it at level 6 and had to slow down quiet a few times too and lower the resistants quiet a few times, but I burned 220 calories.... Which was 20 more than I would of done on the elliptical. Then I went to the bike for another 20 minutes, from there I went to the treadmill (first time ever being on one of them). I last 20 minutes, upped my pace every 5 minutes to 4 miles per hour with an incline of 5. I plan on going back to the gym tonight to do the same thing.... But I'm going to lower the level on the stair climber so it doesn't kick my butt to bad. LOL

Keep on trying, you'll get there. :)
  • destoni85
    destoni85 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had the exact opposite problem... I can go on the elliptical forever, it's the treadmill that kills me.... It is helpful to do it at intervals for sure. Alternate between low and high resistance... I'm working on getting better at the treadmill. Gotta take baby steps. :)
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Wow...thanks so much everyone! I so don't feel alone in this!

As for what is not working....mostly getting too winded...my knees also don't seem to like it - maybe I have the wrong posture or am putting pressure where I shouldn't....

Everyone else seems to be pumping out the minutes with little effort - okay and lots of sweat - --feels a bit intimidating and self-conscious!

thanks again!!!!
  • BrittBrat33
    Options
    I can relate to more than just one of the posts on this one!! haha!! I got on one for the first time yesterday and did 25 mins i thought i was going to pass out!!!! BUT!!! I dont sweat as much on the treadmill!! So i have to say the the elliptical was the better choice for ME! :)