in Hickory Stick heaven

Options
Mmmm the saltiness of it...its so good. I really needed it though. I haven't had chips since before the holidays and even then it wasn't all that much. I dont buy chips for my home, so I don't eat chips or junk often.

I have 2 hrs of bowling today, so maybe I will grab a nice salad for dinner and burn off my delcious hickory sticks :laugh:

Replies

• dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Mmmm the saltiness of it...its so good. I really needed it though. I haven't had chips since before the holidays and even then it wasn't all that much. I dont buy chips for my home, so I don't eat chips or junk often.

I have 2 hrs of bowling today, so maybe I will grab a nice salad for dinner and burn off my delcious hickory sticks :laugh:
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Hickory Stick? Is that like a Slim Jim? Send me one and let me try it.....:wink:
  • dulceluva
    Options
    Oh is Hickory Sticks a Canadian thing? Its like a potato chip that has been juilienned and is slightly smoked and its so good. Basically I am eating chips but julienned smokey chips.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Wow. Sounds good. Definitely send me some...........:laugh:
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Do not read my post if you want to always eat your hickory sticks :smile:
    Being in the states I have never heard of these or seen them but because I do not eat potato chips after watching a doctor on GMA or something like that that showed what the REAL fat in a human body looks like from eating a bag of chips a day, and then tossing my breakfast in the crapper because it was so gross. :sick: :sick:
    In fact hang tight for a sec. (Diann takes deep breath to find a happy place.)
    I however digress. I wondered what hickory flavor was and how it was made.
    The GOOD NEWS is it IS in fact 100% natural.... Now comes my second warning. Do not read any more if you want to love these things for ever. There are some things we really do not want to know. This might be one of those things.

Hickory Flavor is an absolutely 100% NATURAL product made from hickory sawdust. (MmmmSawdust!):tongue::sick:
    Through a highly refined process the flavor compounds of smoke have been condensed into a powder and mixed with dextrose(corn sugar). (Mmmm at least I know what that is.)
    When used in a ground product or pumped into a brined product the hickory flavor is dispersed.
    Then baked into your hickory flavored product.

I got from this that Hickory is saw dust. with sweetner added. :tongue:
    Which is made worse if it is colored red. if you really WANT to know what the red color is in your chips I will tell you. These chips arn't Red are they?
    --Diann...
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Being in the states I have never heard of these or seen them but because I do not eat potato chips after watching a doctor on GMA or something like that that showed what the REAL fat in a human body looks like from eating a bag of chips a day, and then tossing my breakfast in the crapper because it was so gross. :sick: :sick:
    The GOOD NEWS is it IS in fact 100% natural.... Now comes my second warning. Do not read any more if you want to love these things for ever. There are some things we really do not want to know. This might be one of those things.

Hickory Flavor is an absolutely 100% NATURAL product made from hickory sawdust. (MmmmSawdust!):tongue::sick:
    Through a highly refined process the flavor compounds of smoke have been condensed into a powder and mixed with dextrose(corn sugar). (Mmmm at least I know what that is.)
    When used in a ground product or pumped into a brined product the hickory flavor is dispersed.

Which is made worse if it is colored red. if you really WANT to know what the red color is in your chips I will tell you. These chips arn't Red are they?
    --Diann...

Bah! Mushrooms grow in poop. You can't have everything. :wink:
  • dulceluva
    Options
    LOL

Uhm thanks for all of that disturbing information. I hardly eat chips and Hickory sticks are my favourite. But I don't know but I am not sure if Canadian FDA are allowed to sell things that are inedible. I do believe you though, absolutely. Some people will do anything to get a product out.

I will probably hesitate the next time I get a salty craving and go for chips of any kind (which is rare, mind you).

Thanks

:laugh:
  • jesusgrl14
    Options

--Diann...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • diannholland1965
    Options

--Diann...

SOME mushrooms grow in poop. Wild grow under trees. :bigsmile:
    Hee Hee...:laugh:
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Speaking of trees and sawdust... Ever read the ingredients on some of the "Smart Breads"? Give you one guess what alpha celulose is.
  • dulceluva
    Options
    :tongue: You see, we never really know what is in the healthy or non-healthy foods we eat. They should stop using those big words and call it what it is
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Speaking of poop - anyone ever eat catfish or shrimp?:embarassed:

How about wheat pretzels in lieu of chips for your salt fix?
  • Skinny_to_be
    Options
    Mushrooms... in poop... LOL haahaa:laugh: :tongue:
  • dulceluva
    Options
    Now I have this sawdust after taste. gaga

I eat catfish and if seasoned right, its soooo good. my mom kills it with shrimp, I have kind of lost my appetite for shrimp.

I made a choice today to go for the chips instead of the pretzels. I was staring at them and I was comparing labels and the thing is I LOVE PRETZELS but I chose the hickory sticks. Live and Learn. I just need to fill my cravings and now that is over with and back to eating clean'ish
  • MissMe9669
    Options
    Do tell!:wink:
  • diannholland1965
    Options
    Alpha celulose is purified wood pulp, an alkaline based adhesive.
    Boy, I am getting all SORTS of hungry now!
    :tongue: :laugh:
    --Di...
  • dulceluva
    Options
    Anything wrong with Greek Salad cuz that is what I am having for dinner. Come on... someone tell me that it grows on trees :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • diannholland1965
    Options
    Nope Greek salad is wonderful. :bigsmile: As far as I know. :wink:
    Processed food is where you get into some very odd stuff.
    try to stay away from anything with the words. Artificial flavoring.
    or words you can not pronounce.
    SEE! I GAVE YOU A WARNING!!!! :wink: :blushing:
    --Diann...
  • dulceluva
    Options
    thanks for the warning. lol Stuff we all pretty much know and chose to ignore. It was my decision today and I am sure glad I posted about it. I've realized, I love sawdust :tongue:
  • diannholland1965
    Options
    Yep, they do know how to make it tasty don't they.
    BTW, I was just reminded, Cinnamon is tree bark, and cinnamon powder is in fact saw dusk.
    So, there we have it. Even things that are not processed can seem an odd thing to eat.
    HOWEVER, these hickory sticks, they are not RED are they?
    --Diann...