Car Sick Remedies!

Options
I am going on a car trip and I get really sick. Normally I used to get a box of ginger cookies, pretzels and mints. They would make me not sick. But now I don't want to eat all that junk....I don't want to get sick either. Anyone have any ideas on what I could do to not get sick? Thanks!

Replies

• Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    when i was pregnant my husband got me ginger trips from the vitamin shoppe, little ginger disks.. i'm not positive of the calorie count... or diet ginger ale... ginger helped me a lot and lemonade... maybe a crystal light thing
  • Diem30
    Diem30 Posts: 92
    Options
    when i was little my dad used to keep lemons (like 12 of them) in the back of the car for me and my sister to smell when we got car sick and it always helped maybe try just sucking on a lemon or even some oranges it could help too
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I made ginger tea with actual ginger root and honey.
    Or you could just get some dramamine.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Ginger tea
    Crystalised Ginger ( you might want to watch the calories there ! )
    Gin-Gins candies
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I use the less drowsy Dramamine or Bonine, 1 lasts up to 12 hours. Works very well for me, no nausea.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    They sell these at the checkouts at Target:

http://tinyurl.com/4bqsn2e

Each one has about 20 calories, and they have a spicy ginger flavor. I used them nearly daily when I was pregnant - they really work for stomach upset!
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    You could try pregnancy pops. They’re a lollipop that helps expecting women with morning sickness. I’ve seen them at health food stores and Babies R Us. Or what about sipping mint water or mint tea? Does Dramamine work for you?
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    when i was little my dad used to keep lemons (like 12 of them) in the back of the car for me and my sister to smell when we got car sick and it always helped maybe try just sucking on a lemon or even some oranges it could help too

That's a great idea too. I would keep them cold - warm lemon juice might make the situation worse!
  • bmreed0920
    bmreed0920 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    On car trips longer than 3 hours I have to drive. If I cant drive then I sleep. For my last trip I got my doctor to give me phenegran so that I didnt get sick. I only took a half of a pill and it worked. We were on the road for 6 hours and I couldnt drive for that long. If youre not into the pills then there are these pressure point wrist bands available at any drug store. They worked for me on my flight to Dallas. I didnt get sick once. Good luck.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    i have heard olives work for motion sickness or sucking on a lemon. read this, it might help!
    http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/articles/236/medicines-and-remedies/home-remedies-for-motion-sickness.html

good luck!
  • leebluejay
    Options
    Dramamine--hands down. It's easy and doesn't make me drowsy as long as I only use one every 4 hours. I also find that, oddly enough, Pretzel/Cheddar Cheese Combos are great for calming a motion sick stomach. That said, I'm sure those calories would be worse than your other options.
  • amylrach
    amylrach Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    sea-bands!!!!!!!! you buy them at the pharmacy dept. and they are wrist bands that affect your pressure points so you won't get car sick. My son has always had bad car sickness and these work for him! They are awesome.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    sea-bands!!!!!!!! you buy them at the pharmacy dept. and they are wrist bands that affect your pressure points so you won't get car sick. My son has always had bad car sickness and these work for him! They are awesome.

Yes! I have one similar to this: http://tinyurl.com/4a36lam

Anything cheap with the little nub that hits the pressure point on the inside of your wrist. I swear to you this has worked a miracle for me. They are amazing..I can read books on airplanes now!!
  • marrtini
    marrtini Posts: 75
    Options
    Sea Bands work for me .. they are like $8.00 at the drug stores, the other thing I do is chew on ginger tabs .. they help me a lot too. The ginger settles my stomach. I have issues with being in back seats of cars, being on buses. The sea bands helped me with those and an interesting case of sea sickness too ...