Can't do a push up.....

Options
collapse on my knees every time, maybe I am not putting the stress on the right muscles????

I will beat the dreaded push up but any advice would be very happily received - thanks MFPs

:drinker:

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You can start out on your knees. It's an easier modified move. I still can't get more than 3-4 full pushups but I can do a lot more of the other ones. And you're still getting something from the exercise. It's a hard move because it works so many different muscles.
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    are you trying the "girl pushup" (knees on the floor)? i could hardly do a military style push up when i was in shape! they're hard stuff.

start out doing a girl pushup and work your way up. you'll get there!
  • gnewhouse
    Options
    Try to use a counter top and do them at an angle. I was having the same difficulty too! Keep up the good work!
  • boomstick13s
    Options
    My husband is a pro at push ups (army life) and says "girl push ups" and standing push ups will help you build up to where you need to be do to do a real one. He says arms aren't all of it, though. You use your arms, core, legs and shoulders doing push ups. If it's too hard, don't hurt yourself, you'll get there.
  • starboardzor
    Options
    Maybe check out a youtube video on how to do a proper push up just to be sure you're doing it right? I try to keep a straight back and not let my head drop too far down. I'll do as many as I can with good form and then I'll drop to my knees and do as many there with good form. It just does not come naturally for me at all and the progress is very slow, so don't feel bad!
  • TanMac
    TanMac Posts: 77
    Options
    I am on Day 65 of Power 90 and I still do girl push ups..give it some time but don't give up!!
  • kpower1983
    kpower1983 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Great tips, thanks guys - will def stick with it, wanna get stronger!!!

You are all fab!!!!
    x
  • ahmedlogic
    ahmedlogic Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My husband is a pro at push ups (army life) and says "girl push ups" and standing push ups will help you build up to where you need to be do to do a real one. He says arms aren't all of it, though. You use your arms, core, legs and shoulders doing push ups. If it's too hard, don't hurt yourself, you'll get there.

Some good advice.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    About a year ago, when I first started 30 Day Shred, I could barely do 10 girl-style push-ups on my knees. Now, I can do 10 on my feet, and then 10 on my knees. Keep at it, you will get there!! :flowerforyou:
  • starboardzor
    Options
    OH you can also try pushup bars for more range of motion. They are tough to me, but if you are using your knees for the pushups you might be able to get really deep in the push up and build a good deal of strength.
  • MissJennaBelle
    Options
    I've just started trying these dreadful push ups and struggle to do one... I've started doing standing push ups against the wall and push ups from knee's when I'm on the floor. I find that I can build up the strength doing these then try and go for a 'proper' push up when I feel it's ready to push myself more.
  • adamstc88
    adamstc88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am doing girl push-ups and when I started I could barley do 2. Now I can do 3 sets up 15. Woooo. Hoooo! So If I can do it any Body can. So just keep at it you can do it! I need to move to the normal ones one day, but for now I am happy I can do girl push-ups!
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I truly believe girls have a harder time because of how our weight is distributed. I do girly push-ups and hope to work up to military push-ups. Just keep at it because the more you do, the easier it will become.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have a really bad shoulder from repeated injury that I just never did much about. Push ups are not just difficult for me but leave me in pain often. I like to support my lower body on a yoga ball. It allows me to focus on form without hurting myself. I just start with the ball under my hips and then push it down my legs unitl the push up is hard but does not hurt me. :)
  • MizBee
    MizBee Posts: 37
    Options
    When I first started on MFP I could barely do one girl push up (on my knees)... now I can do 17 :)) Im working my way up. Just keep at it and it will get better, I promise.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I found it hard to progress from "girl" push-ups to full military ones until I tried this trick.

Get on your hands and toes like the full position BUT with your legs as far apart as is comfortable. You'll find it waaay easier and you can really slowly adapt it to full push up by moving your feet in a tiny bit each time. Good luck! :smile:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    If you wanted, you could start out by doing push ups against a wall. Stand with your feet a out far enough so you can feel your arms supporting your weight, then push away. When you feel comfortable with that, you could go to a lower surface like a table. Then keep lowering.

Also, it would be best to continually make an attempt at a push up off your toes. It would also be practical to start in the up position, lower your self slowly down, than do what ever maneuver required to get back up even it it means going to your knees.

Hope some of this helps, good luck!
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I found it hard to progress from "girl" push-ups to full military ones until I tried this trick.

Get on your hands and toes like the full position BUT with your legs as far apart as is comfortable. You'll find it waaay easier and you can really slowly adapt it to full push up by moving your feet in a tiny bit each time. Good luck! :smile:

I can't do regular push ups either but I'm going to try this trick! Thanks!
  • kpower1983
    kpower1983 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Great advice - will keep at it, thanks!!!!